Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 982 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got an email this afternoon with a link to pre-order. Put in your zip code and it'll let you select the local dealer you want to deal with. I haven't submitted yet because I'm waiting to see it at our auto show in a couple of weeks, but I may not be able to wait :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I got an email this afternoon with a link to pre-order. Put in your zip code and it'll let you select the local dealer you want to deal with. I haven't submitted yet because I'm waiting to see it at our auto show in a couple of weeks, but I may not be able to wait :)
That's a survey. The pre-order method is typically in their build webpage. I believe they're surveying people to determine or fine-tune which color and trim package they should produce and send to appropriate distributor. There's no guaranteed w/ pre-order, there's always a 3-mo wait - a long-ass time.

If Subaru has more information via survey, the distributors and dealers will have more confidence in the sales because they know whos buying them.

I'm not doing it and it's up to y'all.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'll be honest I didn't even ask when I put in my pre-order but I figure as I put in a refundable deposit I could always back out if better than MSRP deals exist. Granted Subaru is a really popular vehicle in my area and they don't discount much as it is.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'll be honest I didn't even ask when I put in my pre-order but I figure as I put in a refundable deposit I could always back out if better than MSRP deals exist. Granted Subaru is a really popular vehicle in my area and they don't discount much as it is.
Probably not but don't get too excited and pay too much. There are two ways a dealer make their money, thru car sale price and financing. For Forester, they try to be competitive by being negotiable with the sale price and not on financing (subaru don't offer 0%APR or negotiate rates). I'm looking forward to negotiate to lower than MSRP but I have to wait for about 3mo (~sept).

Btw, if anyone here believe dealers they bought their cars at invoice, you're such an amateur and forgot all of your elementary math skills.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I expect our local Subaru dealer, Mike Shaw, to add a couple thousand (market adjustment) to the sticker price of this vehicle right out of the gate. That is what they do.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Btw, if anyone here believe dealers they bought their cars at invoice, you're such an amateur and forgot all of your elementary math skills.
The invoice really is what Subaru charges us for the vehicles when we sell them - keep in mind we don't actually OWN the cars until we DO sell them.

There is holdback and floorplan on each invoice (which we on the sales floor are NOT allowed to touch, because most of the time that IS our only profit on each car), and while there are other dealer incentives (such as sales volume and advertising funds) available, those incentives are NOT guaranteed to the dealership. The new car department, at least at a Subaru dealership, typically operates on a 1% profit margin and that's IT. Note I'm NOT talking about used cars, parts, service, or finance.

That's also why it causes such a mess when the IT department screws up and posts new service loaners for sale, because we DO buy them when they come in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am waiting for a call back. Surprised I haven't heard back -- I'm ready to place that order. Usually when I am just browsing I get 15 phone calls a day!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I talked to my dealership a couple times, settled on a model/color, then provided the $500 deposit. The dealership said that they are alloted 24 pre-orders on the first wave, 16 on the second wave and 16 again on the third. They are taking $1000 off of MSRP on all vehicles that are pre-ordered. They are also allowing those who pre-order the ability to add any additional accessories not included in the order without installation charge post-delivery.

For what it's worth, I contacted another local dealership and received a very lax/generic response with zero follow-up. I guess it just depends on the dealership as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Grand or Evanston? I know Grand tends to price more aggressively, but Evanston is a lot closer to me (as is Highland Park). If I can save some money going to Grand, I will...but I'd rather save the trip.

I talked to my dealership a couple times, settled on a model/color, then provided the $500 deposit. The dealership said that they are alloted 24 pre-orders on the first wave, 16 on the second wave and 16 again on the third. They are taking $1000 off of MSRP on all vehicles that are pre-ordered. They are also allowing those who pre-order the ability to add any additional accessories not included in the order without installation charge post-delivery.

For what it's worth, I contacted another local dealership and received a very lax/generic response with zero follow-up. I guess it just depends on the dealership as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Probably not but don't get too excited and pay too much. There are two ways a dealer make their money, thru car sale price and financing. For Forester, they try to be competitive by being negotiable with the sale price and not on financing (subaru don't offer 0%APR or negotiate rates). I'm looking forward to negotiate to lower than MSRP but I have to wait for about 3mo (~sept).

Well with that I should say that a single entity (Mile One) owns 3 of the 4 Subaru dealerships in the area and they guaranteed MSRP so I expect them to add in some unnecessary fee that will raise the price. As far as Financing I will have that lined up before I walk in and it will depend on the rate I get on what I will do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After couple of days I've decided to not go with preorder. If you look at 2018 outback limited which goes 39k MSRP and is being let go by multiple dealers at 33k ... than you know ascent is going to trade similarly at the end of 2018

1 - 20 of 982 Posts
About this Discussion
981 Replies
322 Participants
ragmalibu
Subaru Ascent Forum
Ascent Forums, The Largest 2017 and newer Subaru Ascent community & owners club. Tech discussions, turbo & tuning and more.
Full Forum Listing