Subaru Ascent Forum banner

221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
So, one of the most interesting misconceptions about our CVT chain is that the chain touches the pulleys. It doesn't. For ages, I, like many others, thought it did. It actually rides on the pins. They're tapered, which you can barely see in this pic. So, being tapered (kinda convex/bubbled), there's no sharp edges or such ever touching the pulleys.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Subaru Lineartronic CVT

good video that explains pretty much everything
Wow, in years of digging up every bit of info I could on the TR580 and TR690, I hadn't run across that. That's an AMAZING find!!!

For those of you watching it, "Current CVT" refers to the TR690 such as the ones in our Ascents. "New CVT" refers to the lower torque TR580 used in the non turbo 4 cylinder Subies since around 2012ish. ALL high torque CVT applications have always been the TR690, since its debut in 2009.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my car 2 weeks ago and am averaging less than 17 mpg, even with trying to drive as responsibly as possible. I filled up yesterday and with a full 19 gallon tank, it rated at 280 miles to empty. After about driving 12 miles, it decreased to 250. Is this normal? Pretty dissapointed with the fuel efficiency compared to my old Legacy. I knew I'd take a hit on mpg but didn't think I'd average 17 mpg. What gives?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bought my car 2 weeks ago and am averaging less than 17 mpg, even with trying to drive as responsibly as possible. I filled up yesterday and with a full 19 gallon tank, it rated at 280 miles to empty. After about driving 12 miles, it decreased to 250. Is this normal? Pretty dissapointed with the fuel efficiency compared to my old Legacy. I knew I'd take a hit on mpg but didn't think I'd average 17 mpg. What gives?
First thing I'll say is stop looking at how many miles you have left on the tank, it's not always accurate. Second, there are so many factors in play. Are you the type of driver that guns the engine to get up to speed, releases the pedal, then repeats the same thing? Are you letting your car idle for long periods of time? is it cold where you are at? The cold has a severe effect on turbocharged engines. I improve my gas mileage by driving in manual mode for around 1,500 miles and afterward switched back to automatic and haven't had an issue since then. I average 25 miles to the gallon both highway and city. I still think however Subaru should have put a 23 gallon tank on the Ascent. The 19 gallon tank is just too small for the weight of the vehicle. I will probably look at replacing the gas tank in the next 3-5 years

·
Registered
13 Posts
You do realize that Idling the car for 5 minutes burns a lot of fuel right? I don't let mine warm up for more than a minute. But yeah I am yet to see a fuel mileage over 23 mpg mine has 1700 miles. I went on a 420 mile round trip and with the tail wind the Ascent was doing 23 mpg but then on the way back it dropped down to 20.2.
I have 1500 miles on mine and 18.5-19 city and 23-25 on high way. I notice the ACC helps with mileage, but I dont really use it unless it is a long trip.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the same thing for the first few weeks. Wonder if it is a default setting until the computer 'learns' or maybe a shared component that is set up for a smaller tank on another Subie? First highway trip it did it as well. 50 some miles down the road it increased 80mi above where it started an hour ago and read 360mi left for range. I've made the trip to our second home twice, which 411 miles, and made it on a single tank each way both times and I'm no hyper miler.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I started out in the mid 14s for the first several thousand miles, peaked in the mid 18s, and I'm back at 17mpg all around. I'm getting high 15s in town now, and I'm lucky to break 23 on the highway. But I can occasionally, under the same conditions (weather, traffic), get as high as 25.5, or is low aa 20mpg on the exact same stretches of highway, under the same traffic conditions and at the same speed.

I think my car is just one of those cars yet just won't do it. I've also had a lot of issues with mine, but others haven't had any. it is frustrating knowing that my twin turbo GLS V8 that I tradeed in, got better all-around mileage without being easy on the gas, and was a blast to drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I started out in the mid 14s for the first several thousand miles, peaked in the mid 18s, and I'm back at 17mpg all around. I'm getting high 15s in town now, and I'm lucky to break 23 on the highway. But I can occasionally, under the same conditions (weather, traffic), get as high as 25.5, or is low aa 20mpg on the exact same stretches of highway, under the same traffic conditions and at the same speed.

I think my car is just one of those cars yet just won't do it. I've also had a lot of issues with mine, but others haven't had any. it is frustrating knowing that my twin turbo GLS V8 that I tradeed in, got better all-around mileage without being easy on the gas, and was a blast to drive.
Yep, my 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design with turbo V-6 routinely got 19-20 in town and hit upwards of 26 on highway driving 80-90...and I didn't have to baby the pedal.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I had the same thing for the first few weeks. Wonder if it is a default setting until the computer 'learns' or maybe a shared component that is set up for a smaller tank on another Subie? First highway trip it did it as well. 50 some miles down the road it increased 80mi above where it started an hour ago and read 360mi left for range. I've made the trip to our second home twice, which 411 miles, and made it on a single tank each way both times and I'm no hyper miler.
The time to empty is calculated from remaining fuel and CURRENT average MPH in the trip computer. It changes up and down, depending on driving conditions. So yes, you may very well see it increase rather than decrease if you are moving along more efficiently than what the average had been. This is normal behavior.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What do you consider normal operating temp? Mine sits at the dead center of the temp range.
I average about 12-14 mpg and that's it. I drive very carefully, with most of my time spent in the green on eco. I rarely let the car sit idling, and I've got 1300 miles on it. So when is this break-in period supposed to end and I'll start to see reasonable gas mileage?! This is absolutely ridiculous!!
Safely monitor the instantaneous MPG indicator as you drive and work towards driving in a manner that keeps the MPG as high as possible. You will soon learn how to drive the vehicle so that your MPG is much higher. Of course if you prefer at times to drive more aggressively for whatever reason you will see your MPG drop. It can involve very subtle differences.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The time to empty is calculated from remaining fuel and CURRENT average MPH in the trip computer. It changes up and down, depending on driving conditions. So yes, you may very well see it increase rather than decrease if you are moving along more efficiently than what the average had been. This is normal behavior.
My real point was I was getting the exact same 280 miles to empty my first few fill ups and then it all changed and has ever since. I know the why. Which is why I wondering if 280 is a default setting until there is enough data.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Anybody know what the Ascent's Drag Coefficient is?

Some review sites list it, if it's made available to them by the manufacturers...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Which is why I wondering if 280 is a default setting until there is enough data.
Mine typically shows 360+ when I fill up, but with the cold weather, it quickly adjusts downward as expected. That's for my regular, general rural driving. While traveling, it often starts up near 500, but most generally between 460 and 480. I generally pull about 27 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've had tons and tons of complaints about my mileage, everybody knows that.
So I just did a road trip this morning.
I literally just checked into a hotel here in North Central Vermont. The ride from Central Connecticut to here ( 74 mph avg on the highway for 140 miles, and then higher speed [55-65 mph] two lane roads for about 75 miles) averaged 62 mph, I got 26 MPG with four adults in the car. That's significant because it's ultimately an uphill drive and I got the best mileage I've gotten on the highway yet, with four people and luggage in the car. Normally, solo highway driving at 68mph gets me 23 at best. So three of my best four tanks have been with for adults in the car. 🤯

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had tons and tons of complaints about my mileage, everybody knows that.
So I just did a road trip this morning.
I literally just checked into a hotel here in North Central Vermont. The ride from Central Connecticut to here ( 74 mph avg on the highway for 140 miles, and then higher speed [55-65 mph] two lane roads for about 75 miles) averaged 62 mph, I got 26 MPG with four adults in the car. That's significant because it's ultimately an uphill drive and I got the best mileage I've gotten on the highway yet, with four people and luggage in the car. Normally, solo highway driving at 68mph gets me 23 at best. So three of my best four tanks have been with for adults in the car. 🤯
Yeah, this is definitely the weirdest car I've ever owned in terms of gas mileage. Sometimes I get really good gas mileage other times I get "meh" gas mileage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Safely monitor the instantaneous MPG indicator as you drive and work towards driving in a manner that keeps the MPG as high as possible. You will soon learn how to drive the vehicle so that your MPG is much higher. Of course if you prefer at times to drive more aggressively for whatever reason you will see your MPG drop. It can involve very subtle differences.
My instantaneous mpg very often has me in the upper limits (40-80mpg), with the exception of starting off from a stop, which I do very gently. I have been watching that and the rpm. I have tried the manual mode on the highway thinking it would be nice to shift on my own like I used to (missing my old stick shift!). But the vehicle doesn't respond to upward gear changes when I would like it to, so the rpm seems to always be sitting in the 2500- 3000 range or higher. If I leave it in auto, it shifts mostly fine. The only time I see rpm above 2000 is climbing hills. I have noticed that even the slightest hill causes this beast to struggle. But even when it's running at 2500 rpm, my instantaneous mpg shows higher than the 13mpg I'm getting. This is SO frustrating!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
When you say struggle up the slightest hill, are you talking mileage or power/performance?

My Beast chews up hills like they‘re nothing - tons of power, but she sucks the gas to do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
But the vehicle doesn't respond to upward gear changes when I would like it to, so the rpm seems to always be sitting in the 2500- 3000 range or higher.
There are no gears. The CVT will select a ratio it thinks is most appropriate, factoring in gas mileage and power needed to accomplish the task at hand.

For those not used to a chain driven high torque CVT mated to a decently powerful turbo, it may seem odd, but there's nothing wrong with the engine being in that range and staying there. The CVT can happily and easily adjust the infinite ratio deivetrain to keep the rpms there while managing hills or accelerations.

221 - 240 of 254 Posts