Subaru Ascent Forum banner

201 - 220 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
....develop a feel for when the car is using more power than it really needs and then lighten up on the pedal and give it only just the power it needs to smoothly move through traffic...
When I'm sitting at a stop light with other cars beside and behind me, the light turns green, and I accelerate "normally," I find myself getting way ahead of those other cars. It still takes me concious effort to rein it in and not do that.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
But that contradicts your statement above #196?
No, it doesn't really. They did it for a more important reason. Driving with an overfilled engine isn't good.

On the other hand, randomly changing oil for no reason isn't necessary when it's supposed to be left in (under normal conditions and situations).

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, it doesn't really. They did it for a more important reason. Driving with an overfilled engine isn't good.

On the other hand, randomly changing oil for no reason isn't necessary when it's supposed to be left in (under normal conditions and situations).
The best solution would have been to drain a little instead of a full change. Hopefully my engine will break in properly without the break in oil. If it does, then what’s the point of using break in oil?

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
The best solution would have been to drain a little instead of a full change. Hopefully my engine will break in properly without the break in oil. If it does, then what’s the point of using break in oil?
Just go easy on it. You should be fine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
When I'm sitting at a stop light with other cars beside and behind me, the light turns green, and I accelerate "normally," I find myself getting way ahead of those other cars. It still takes me concious effort to rein it in and not do that.
Yes, exactly, the Ascent has a lot of low-end torque, use too much and there goes your gas mileage. When I drive I have to consciously and constantly lift my foot off the accelerator and just let it coast. It's amazing how well the Ascent coasts and cruises with little to no pressure on the accelerator. The slightest pressure is all that's usually needed. You only have to use the throttle more when you want to move quickly such as pulling out into traffic, going uphill, passing on the highway, etc. When cruising normally, even in traffic, a slight touch is all that's needed and quite often no touch. Do this constantly and you'll get great mileage, but it takes practice. It's not intuitive and it's not the usual way to drive. You have to work at it, but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to get 23-26+ mpg most anytime you want.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been driving with the paddle shifters about 95% of the time for the past week and yes, it really does improve gas mileage. The only probably is making a turn from a full stop. The paddle shifters are not conducive to turning. I would kill for a 6-speed manual transmission Ascent 😞

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am averaging 13 MPG.

Admittedly all city driving.

But it's seriously disappointing.

I bought a BMW M3 as a second car, and I'm getting 19.7 on the same routes so far . . .
Watch the engine coolant temperature guage. The longer it takes for the engine coolant to reach "normal," the worse the gas mileage is on any engine. Published fuel economy test results are measured AFTER everything is already warmed up and operating in the "normal" temperature range.

If you park your Ascent in a heated or insulated garage during winter, the coolant will reach normal operating temperature faster than it does if parked out in the driveway. Gas mileage follows engine coolant temperature.
What do you consider normal operating temp? Mine sits at the dead center of the temp range.
I average about 12-14 mpg and that's it. I drive very carefully, with most of my time spent in the green on eco. I rarely let the car sit idling, and I've got 1300 miles on it. So when is this break-in period supposed to end and I'll start to see reasonable gas mileage?! This is absolutely ridiculous!!

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
What do you consider normal operating temp? Mine sits at the dead center of the temp range
That's normal operating temp.
I average about 12-14 mpg and that's it. I drive very carefully, with most of my time spent in the green on eco.
There's no Eco mode, and green means gaining mpg, so, I think you're missing a lot of times it dips deep into the yellow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If green on the ECO bar means gaining mpg, then I REALLY have a problem! 🤣
It goes green when I'm coasting and not really touching the gas. If I let it idle in park or if I floor it, it dips into the yellow on that meter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I apologize, I just came out and started my car... The meter said ECO in my Odyssey, but says MPG on this one. Either way, it measures how economical (or eco-friendly, whichever you prefer) your driving is by having better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,411 Posts
It will always be completely to the yellow (negative) side when idling...that's 0 miles per gallon effectively. But specifically, that yellow/green indicator is "relative to current average" mpg for whichever trip counter (A or B) is currently displayed. If it's into the yellow, you're instantaneously achieving below the current average and if it's in the green side, you're instantaneously doing better than the current average.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If green on the ECO bar means gaining mpg, then I REALLY have a problem! 🤣
It goes green when I'm coasting and not really touching the gas. If I let it idle in park or if I floor it, it dips into the yellow on that meter.
Just to elaborate, the green/yellow guage is dynamic. The center point of that guage is whatever your specific average is at that moment. If you're getting low average mileage, it's easier to get the meter to read green.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My point is that I'm driving with that little indicator at the top of my screen in the green almost all the time, unless it's running in park (rare), going up a steep hill, passing (not happening much around here), etc. So if it's based on my current driving versus my current trip mpg, then why is my mpg not slowly increasing? If I'm consistently driving at a mpg in the green, then the fuel economy should be slowly increasing. However, it has not.
Not. At. All.
Nor has my mpg as calculated from actual miles driven/gallons dumped in increased. So what gives?

·
Registered
32 Posts
So what gives?
there are many factors in play. For instance, are you leaving your car idling for hours on end throughout the day? If that's the case, you're always be driving in the green because the car isn't sitting. without seeing video or pictures of what's going on it's hard to tell

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just started today shifting in manual mode. MPG went through the roof, 20mpg in the city already. I'll be testing this more thoroughly in the coming weeks.

I honestly think they have the logic screwed up, or maybe only certain Ascents? Drive mode is either turbo or grandma acceleration, very binary. Manual mode lets me get a more typical acceleration where I can accelerate with traffic and not use a lot of turbo. Also lets me go up minor or major hills without the stupid CVT going full crazy to 3k rpms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just started today shifting in manual mode. MPG went through the roof, 20mpg in the city already. I'll be testing this more thoroughly in the coming weeks.

I honestly think they have the logic screwed up, or maybe only certain Ascents? Drive mode is either turbo or grandma acceleration, very binary. Manual mode lets me get a more typical acceleration where I can accelerate with traffic and not use a lot of turbo. Also lets me go up minor or major hills without the stupid CVT going full crazy to 3k rpms.
I agree with you 100%. Driving in manual mode has increased my highway mpg to over 27 and a combination of 25

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've been avoiding manual mode (except sometimes on freeways to keep it at highest ratio) to avoid wearing grooves in the conical drives. Mentally, I just keep imagining having the chain parked over the same radii. Maybe it's an unreasonable concern. But it's my #1 reason for feathering throttle so the car doesn't fake-shift... so I figure that I wouldn't force a shift either.

Anyway, after the service campaigns, the gas pedal feels somewhat remapped, and it's been easier to keep from spooling the turbo unnecessarily. Might have just been unplugging the battery and resetting the learning, who knows. But mph around town seems to have improved 1-2 mpg, even with winter blend. My highway mpg has not improved, but I think that's the big air dam of a tent I have on top of the car.

F.S.

·
Registered
466 Posts
...I just keep imagining having the chain parked over the same radii. Maybe it's an unreasonable concern...
I've pondered that a bit and wondered if the faux shift jumps wind up at fixed ratios or if they vary...and maybe the faux shifting produces less wear than continually varying the ratio at high torque. I also wonder how fixed the ratios are in manual mode. I haven't come to any conclusions and just drive it naively trusting the engineers knew what they were doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is a near 0% chance of you wearing grooves into the CVT 😂 you do realize that driving in "8th gear" which is technically where the engine would sit all the time when on the interstate, would have the same effect then. no, you're totally fine to drive in manual mode if you know how to drive a manual vehicle. The key is knowing shift points. When to drop down one or two gears and then go back up

201 - 220 of 263 Posts