Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have had my Ascent since September with 4400 miles. I realize that the 27/22 rating is with optimal driving conditions, but I"m not really even getting close to that. City averaging between 17-20, highway 23/24. Seems worse since it's gotten cold. Not heavy footed and allowing the car a good 5 minutes to warm up each morning.

Anyone else seeing gas mileage around these numbers? Kind of disappointed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Average 18.5mpg with over 6k and my legacy is averaging 21-22mpg in the same driving conditions.
Was hoping for close to 20 being that is a turbo with better torque than legacy and might get close to 20 if i switch to 18" wheels. Too bad the 18" are not that great looking and not offered on Limited trims.

·
Registered
17 Posts
allowing the car a good 5 minutes to warm up each morning.
You do realize that Idling the car for 5 minutes burns a lot of fuel right? I don't let mine warm up for more than a minute. But yeah I am yet to see a fuel mileage over 23 mpg mine has 1700 miles. I went on a 420 mile round trip and with the tail wind the Ascent was doing 23 mpg but then on the way back it dropped down to 20.2.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At 3,000 miles and 5 months or use, we do remote start in the morning for 10 minutes, drive 5 miles on surface streets and 5 miles highway return. For that we average 15 mpg. We went on a road trip up over Mount Hood and flat out to Burns, Oregon 300 miles each way and that got us 27 mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey, everybody! I have scanned the other thread, and it's just overwhelming... So I thought I'd chime in here as a new owner. I have gone through the one full tank from picking up my car and am now halfway through the second. My gas mileage has *slowly* ticked up to 18.5 mpg. I would characterize my driving as "suburban" haha, not city per se and not highway. I am not an aggressive driver with accelerating/braking, etc. In fact I'm probably just the opposite, as my dad taught me how to drive and he was comically frugal.

I am really hoping it continues to improve, although the new car having worse gas mileage phenomenon is admittedly foreign to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
hey, everybody! I have scanned the other thread, and it's just overwhelming... So I thought I'd chime in here as a new owner. I have gone through the one full tank from picking up my car and am now halfway through the second. My gas mileage has *slowly* ticked up to 18.5 mpg. I would characterize my driving as "suburban" haha, not city per se and not highway. I am not an aggressive driver with accelerating/braking, etc. In fact I'm probably just the opposite, as my dad taught me how to drive and he was comically frugal.

I am really hoping it continues to improve, although the new car having worse gas mileage phenomenon is admittedly foreign to me.

Push throttle gently. Keep 60+ in highway. Always turn on ACC. It will reach ECO MPG 20-21.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to push their Ascent with extremely subtle driving? I have a buddy that does that with his 2018 Forester and he is getting right around 45 mpg in the 6 months hes had it. Thats almost 20 mpg more than its rated for. I'm tempted to try it with my Ascent but I my wife drives it much more than me and she has no patience for such "pointless games" lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to push their Ascent with extremely subtle driving? I have a buddy that does that with his 2018 Forester and he is getting right around 45 mpg in the 6 months hes had it. Thats almost 20 mpg more than its rated for. I'm tempted to try it with my Ascent but I my wife drives it much more than me and she has no patience for such "pointless games" lol

Last week I did and got the car to 29.5 miles a gallon. Next tank, with a LOT of urban driving, was 22.8 mpg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stick to 2500 rpm and below?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have had my Ascent since September with 4400 miles. I realize that the 27/22 rating is with optimal driving conditions, but I"m not really even getting close to that. City averaging between 17-20, highway 23/24. Seems worse since it's gotten cold. Not heavy footed and allowing the car a good 5 minutes to warm up each morning.

Anyone else seeing gas mileage around these numbers? Kind of disappointed.
I am averaging 13 MPG.

Admittedly all city driving.

But it's seriously disappointing.

I bought a BMW M3 as a second car, and I'm getting 19.7 on the same routes so far . . .

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's all relative. My Ascent in daily city driving is giving me 19.5 mpg (mostly short grocery shopping trips by the wife), the Traverse it replaced used to be around 15 mpg average, so it's a big improvement for vehicles of similar size and similar power.
On the Highway I got 27 mpg on the Ascent (doing around 70 mph some sprints up to 80mph), while the Traverse would reach 22 mpg only on very long trips, most of the time was between 20 and 21 mpg.
Being a turbo engine, it varies wildly depending on your foot. My other car (mid-size sedan), does my daily commute to work of 10.6 miles in anything between 20mpg and 29 mpg, depending on... me! If I try hard to get the best mileage (which I do as a game to entertain myself during commute sometimes), the maximum I got was 30.5 mpg on that 10.6 miles stretch of city driving (city with 45 mph 3-lane roads, but lots of redlights), and when in a rush I did less than 20 mpg one time (not proud of that, but fun). Most of the time I'm around 23 to 25 mpg (when I'm not thinking about gas). Last week I took the Ascent on the same commute and did 24 mpg driving normally, playing more with lane keep assist than with the fuel consumption gauge. For the difference in weight, I'd say it's perfectly fine what I'm getting.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If I try hard to get the best mileage (which I do as a game to entertain myself during commute sometimes), the maximum I got was 30.5 mpg
This is so funny because I do the same thing. The wife and kids generally don’t get it. Although she did play along once on a long trip to the Grand Canyon. I now have a new target to beat 30.5 mpg. I have more highway with a 65 speed limit but maybe I can pull it off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This could be one of those "doh" moments, but I noticed that, when I push Auto on the heater knob, the AC will sometimes come on.

I get about 3-4 mpg less when I run AC so this is something you may want to watch.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hypermiling. Never done it myself and never cared for it because by nature you have to impede the progress of other drivers on the road. Nevertheless, after almost 40 years of driving there's no doubt the single greatest factor to good/bad mileage is the driver, and how people jackrabbit start from stop signs and traffic lights IMO is the greatest mileage killer. I've always gotten about 20% better mileage in the city and 40% better highway mileage on pretty much every car I've ever driven compared to that reported by other owners. I pays to be a light foot.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts