Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the suburbs. My neighborhood roads are not terrible yet when I hit the smallest potholes I expected a smoother ride. Instead I hear/feel small banging of the shocks. For the price I'm a little disappointed in the ride on less than perfect roads. I did travel almost 1000 miles in the first week of ownership, all on major highways and it was beautiful. Smallish potholes, not so much.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hmmm I also have a limited and while I do feel some bumps, I think it's a much smoother ride than my Tacoma I had previously. I also find the Ascent to be smoother and soak up bumps better than my gf's Mazda CX-5.

Are your tire pressures really high? The cold tire pressure should be 33 psi for the 20s.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ascent Suspension

I initially was disappointed with the the suspension as well until I checked the tire pressure. I run all four tires at the recommended 33 pounds cold and my Ascent Limited rides considerably better than the two Outback Limited's I had previously owned.

·
Registered
411 Posts
To echo everyone else, def check the PSI on those tires. The Limited I drove (not mine, still waiting) was buttery smooth compared to my Jeep.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hmmm I also have a limited and while I do feel some bumps, I think it's a much smoother ride than my Tacoma I had previously. I also find the Ascent to be smoother and soak up bumps better than my gf's Mazda CX-5.

Are your tire pressures really high? The cold tire pressure should be 33 psi for the 20s.
Not many vehicles ride rougher than a Tacoma with its short wheelbase and stiff suspension. It will be interesting to see if people complain about the rear end of the Ascent bottoming out on bumps - had a 2014 Santa Fe that did that - sold the vehicle within a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
3rd Subaru and this rides considerably better than any of my 7 previous cars. I do have a Premium with 18" wheels though and did have to drop the tire pressure down for 45 PSI to 35.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Touring and only 1 complaint.

Think of going over a speed bump. If the left and right sides don't go over the bump at the same time it is a massive seesaw. Compounded when the rear tires go over that bump. I just feel like I'm on a boat rocking back and forth.

Other than that no biggey. If only one tire or one side sees a bump not a big deal. Compared to the old Tribeca and the older Foresters I have driven it's got less body roll and feels way more connected.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire pressure is 33 all around. I'm coming from a 4Runner and the ride is MUCH smoother, but I expected a bit better. I'm really picky but my wife said the same thing after a week of driving. I'm not understanding the 18 vs 20" tire comment. I'd think bigger tires would be smoother.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Tire pressure is 33 all around. I'm coming from a 4Runner and the ride is MUCH smoother, but I expected a bit better. I'm really picky but my wife said the same thing after a week of driving. I'm not understanding the 18 vs 20" tire comment. I'd think bigger tires would be smoother.
Taller sidewall offers a better ride. Larger wheels means smaller sidewall to maintain the same overall circumference.

Tire sizes are ratios. 255/60/r18 means the tire's section width is 255mm wide, the section height (sidewall height) is 60% of that, the construction (r) is radial, and the inner diameter (wheel size) is 18 inches.

In order to have the same circumference with a 20" wheel, you have to reduce the height of the sidewall; which is, for simplicity, reducing the amount of cushion the car is riding on.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Touring and only 1 complaint.

Think of going over a speed bump. If the left and right sides don't go over the bump at the same time it is a massive seesaw. Compounded when the rear tires go over that bump. I just feel like I'm on a boat rocking back and forth.

Other than that no biggey. If only one tire or one side sees a bump not a big deal. Compared to the old Tribeca and the older Foresters I have driven it's got less body roll and feels way more connected.

Here is what I can say ... Performance Sway Bushings.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...uspension/1437-sway-bar-bushings-cke-ssp.html

CKE SSP products will help with that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in the suburbs. My neighborhood roads are not terrible yet when I hit the smallest potholes I expected a smoother ride. Instead I hear/feel small banging of the shocks. For the price I'm a little disappointed in the ride on less than perfect roads. I did travel almost 1000 miles in the first week of ownership, all on major highways and it was beautiful. Smallish potholes, not so much.
Have your dealership check it out. Mines make a banging noise over pot holes and when going up and down bumps when steering wheel is slightly turned. I was able to replicate it at dealership and they have replaced the tie rods but still happening. They were going to replace the whole front axle but another Ascent that had that done didn't fix the issue so they are pretty sure it is the struts. They have it ordered and when it does come in, will be replacing the struts on mines.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The more I drive this vehicle the more I hate these wheels/tires.
If you want - and money isn't an issue for you - why don't you check into pricing out the OEM set from the Premiums and see if the dealer will either do a discount swap for you and put the 18's on there?

Not sure they'll fit, but service department should.

Tires and rims are changeable within specifications. Diameter should be around the same, right, so no issues with torque vectoring computations etc?

For what its worth, I wanted to put larger sidewall tires on my 2009 Legacy because I kept chewing them up and at least 3 of the OEM rims were damaged pretty bad requiring repair, I ended up getting the steelie OEM rims from one of the lower trims with OEM Subaru hubbies. It looked pretty cool, and made my car a little "personalized"... I did love the OEM alloys, but man, the ride was so much smoother after the change.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe you could test drive one with 18" rims and see what it's like. If you're in the Chicago suburbs, let me know and I'll let you drive mine -- if I can drive yours with the 20" rims :).

I think the 18" rims are almost too cushion-y, but then again my wife and I like a harsher ride.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Have your dealership check it out. Mines make a banging noise over pot holes and when going up and down bumps when steering wheel is slightly turned. I was able to replicate it at dealership and they have replaced the tie rods but still happening. They were going to replace the whole front axle but another Ascent that had that done didn't fix the issue so they are pretty sure it is the struts. They have it ordered and when it does come in, will be replacing the struts on mines.
This complaint comes up most commonly with struts, so, that will hopefully fix your situation. If you wouldn't mind, please let us know either way so I can keep an eye on what's causing this for others.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wonder if this is brake caliper rattle. My 2005 I bought with 125K miles and it has always rattled like a bad sway bar end link or ball joint. I have replaced d*mn near everything on the car except for the steering rack and one day I just grabbed a front brake caliper and shook it for fun. It ratted like a paint can. I have replaced the slider pins and used thicker marine grease, but the rattles are still there. I have determined the stiff suspension and the age of the car is the problem.

There were 4th and 5th Generation Outback with rattles. Some were fixed by a steering rack spring TSB and the others were fixed by new brakes. I always wanted (4) pots so I am going this route with Cherry.

You all can try this, left foot brake just slightly in situations when this clunk happens. This will apply caliper pressure. If it is caliper/pin rattle, then you won't feel it while the brake pressure is on the caliper.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts