Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Disabling Power Relay to keep 12V hot?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Subiesailor 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The larger vehicles like the Ascent especially the new ones with lots of parasitic power draws. I wouldn’t even bother. If you have a need for a fridge or some other powered device I would just build a power box that gets strapped down in the back and maybe a 12v socket feed from the rear socket to a charge controller to top up the box when your driving.

My Toyota Sequoia has needed me to jump it many times after as little as 20-25 minutes sitting with the key left on powering who knows what systems killing a prefectly good battery pretty fast. The Ascent and it’s light weight battery, shish no way.

#4 · (Edited)
I checked today there is no specific relay for the power outlets

I wanted to power my rear dimmable LED strip anytime, say if I was car camping or had the rear hatch open for longer than 30mins. Looks like I’ll just tap into the cargo light power.

If I were to run any wires I’d just go big (2GA and branch it out in the back with a Bluesea 6 circuit) but won’t be running a fridge after all.

I bought a CTEK DS250 smart charger for the Subaru and was planning on sticking a lithium 50ah house battery in the storage area and a flexible solar panel on the roof but just don’t drive it often enough to justify having a 12v fridge running 24/7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.