Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Diode Dynamics fog light fit… not quite there

7144 Views 55 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  chrisjp20
Just a couple photos of the tight fit of the Diode Dynamics current fit for our Ascents. Too tight to properly mount w/o cutting a lot. After a chat and some photos sent (great service BTW) they are sending new (their standard) bezel versus the round one. Will update later after final install.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Grille
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle
See less See more
Reactions: 2
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Got this e-mail late last night (01-20-2022) I pre-ordered my SS3 Max Backlit LED Pods for a 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring, White w/Yellow accent.

Hello,
Thank you for your preorder with Diode Dynamics! Unfortunately, we will not be able to ship the following item as scheduled:
SS3 Max Backlit LED Pods
Our engineering team is still working to fine-tune this new product, to ensure it delivers the maximum possible output. This testing is taking longer than expected, due to the added complexity of the backlight circuit. Once ready, we are confident that it will be the highest-performing 3-inch pod we've ever produced.
We now expect to start shipping preorders by 2/23/2022.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this delay may cause. We make every attempt to provide accurate lead time information on our website, but challenges in product development have led to this additional delay. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Thank you,
COREY S. | SERVICE MANAGER | DIODE DYNAMICS
P. (314) 205-3033 | [email protected] | www.diodedynamics.com
See less See more
Does the Ascent already have wiring installed for fogs on every vehicle, as a dealer or port installed item i would assume the wiring is already installed, thinking of adding fogs to my wife's ascent.

Also does a fog light switch have to be installed in the dash.
So I'm new to Subaru's that aren't 20+ years old, but I would expect the wiring harness to be there. Or at least the connection to attach the daughter wiring harness for the lamps.

The switch might be interesting because it's integrated into the left-hand stalk on the steering wheel. So I'm not sure if that would mean you have to replace that whole thing or if they provide an accessory switch for post-purchase installations.

I find the easiest way to know is to check the install guide for the kit: https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/docs/H451SXC000.pdf
So I'm new to Subaru's that aren't 20+ years old, but I would expect the wiring harness to be there. Or at least the connection to attach the daughter wiring harness for the lamps.
It's not always a good thing to make that assumption. There are features in upper trims that use wiring harnesses that are not part of the lower trims. That said, since the fog lights are an available accessory for the Premium, etc., the harness would necessarily need to be there. For the OP, the Touring comes from the factory with LED fog lights.
Does the Ascent already have wiring installed for fogs on every vehicle, as a dealer or port installed item i would assume the wiring is already installed, thinking of adding fogs to my wife's ascent.

Also does a fog light switch have to be installed in the dash.
With my Premium trim the wires were there but had to purchase the switch itself for the dash and a relay for under the hood… Those instructions for the factory fog addition is what I used. You’ll also need the bolt/clip hardware to install the light if going aftermarket…
It's not always a good thing to make that assumption. There are features in upper trims that use wiring harnesses that are not part of the lower trims. That said, since the fog lights are an available accessory for the Premium, etc., the harness would necessarily need to be there. For the OP, the Touring comes from the factory with LED fog lights.
I believe that today most wiring harnesses are modular due to their significant cost. So they design one main body harness that you can add daughter harnesses to as needed. That way when you're building up the cars, a larger portion of the assembly process can remain consistent which can also be a significant cost savings. To what extent they choose to make the harnesses modular is probably a balance between the cost of assembly and the price of the part(s).

Source: I work for a domestic based manufacturer in the non-automotive sector.
Reactions: 1
I believe that today most wiring harnesses are modular due to their significant cost. So they design one main body harness that you can add daughter harnesses to as needed.
You would think but I've seen many situations in recent years where folks had to jump through flaming hoops to install something because harnesses were completely missing from the factory and that's across multiple brands. There have even been examples with Ascent...the front camera harness and other interfaces are completely missing from non-Touring trims is just one of them. Jeep stopped installing the front to back harness for trailer lights and brake control in lower trim levels of the JGC a few years ago when they didn't get ordered with Factory Towing. Etc. Apparently, it's become more economical to have multiple harnesses in recent years for whatever reason, including marketing...force folks into higher trims if they want some goodie by making post-purchase installation a pain in the posterior.
I just received my SS3s and they sent both bezels also. I’m excited to install them but what is the best way to remove the trim piece around the fog light?
Black Auto part Automotive exterior Composite material Automotive design
See less See more
I just received my SS3s and they sent both bezels also. I’m excited to install them but what is the best way to remove the trim piece around the fog light? View attachment 15299
I started on the upper side of the fork … with a nylon trim tool… pry out. Once one of the forks pop out a little more wiggle and outward pull and the others pop out. The sides pull straight out lastly. After you do it once you’ll think “that was easy” ;)
I just installed my DD Pro fog lights and it was quick and easy. About an hour total for both. Just pop out the pins for plastic cover under the lights and pull off the front fog light trim cover. There is one 10mm bolt and a push pin holding the light in. Unplug the light and slide it out. When I installed the DD I added a little tape to the ears that slide in to tighten the fit and a washer to the shoulder bolt to also tighten everything up. It slid the light as far back as possible in the bracket and it cleared all the plastic with the square bezel (if you order these specify the standard square not the round bezel the others have had problems with). It’s still daylight outside but I can’t wait for dark to see the difference.

Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Window Automotive tire Automotive design

Car Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Hood Building Road surface Asphalt Composite material

Automotive lighting Light Automotive design Tints and shades Automotive exterior

White Light Automotive lighting Automotive fog light Electric blue

Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper
See less See more
Reactions: 4
Eager to hear your thoughts.

Still waiting on mine. Patience is slowly running out lol
Just got this update on my SS3's

Diode Dynamics <[email protected]>
Tue, Feb 22, 5:20 PM (3 days ago)
to bcc: WA9DDI

Hello,

Thank you for your preorder with Diode Dynamics! Unfortunately, we will not be able to ship the following item as scheduled:

SS3 Max Backlit LED Pods

As mentioned in our last correspondence, our engineering team is working to ensure the SS3 Max Backlit provides an unparalleled level of total output. This work is going well, and they have achieved a significant increase in output compared to the original SS3 Max LED pod.

To guarantee that performance, and back it with the 8-year warranty, we are performing additional age testing before initial production. This testing is in its final stages, and we expect to begin production immediately thereafter.

We now expect to begin shipment of preorders within 2-3 weeks.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this delay may cause. We make every attempt to provide accurate lead time information on our website, but challenges in product development have led to this additional delay. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you,

COREY S. | SERVICE MANAGER | DIODE DYNAMICS
P. (314) 205-3033
| [email protected] | www.diodedynamics.com

See less See more
Hmmm... I got mine shipped early, but I didn't opt for the backlit ones. However, they weren't expecting to get the yellow SS3's in until March.
I just installed my DD Pro fog lights and it was quick and easy...
Thank you for this post. It saved my bacon yesterday when I was trying to fit the lamps and couldn't get the mounting tabs to seat. Removing that front trim seems to be all but required. Otherwise, I'm guessing you'd need to apply a fair bit of pressure and that just doesn't feel right.
Thank you for this post. It saved my bacon yesterday when I was trying to fit the lamps and couldn't get the mounting tabs to seat. Removing that front trim seems to be all but required. Otherwise, I'm guessing you'd need to apply a fair bit of pressure and that just doesn't feel right.
Yay! That’s also why I love this community… I’m sure DD will send you new bezels as they did for me at no charge. They did confirm my proof of purchase and then I received in a few days!
Yay! That’s also why I love this community… I’m sure DD will send you new bezels as they did for me at no charge. They did confirm my proof of purchase and then I received in a few days!
I actually had the smaller bezels which was why I was so confused about them not fitting. I think their instructions need a bit of an update, because apart from this little hiccup, it was a super easy install..
Reactions: 1
I modified the opening a bit, still want to do a little more on the inboard and top side. Unfortunately the bottom is kind of a lost cause as you would have to remove the whole lower section and I'm not willing to do that.

I used a utility knife and started scraping along the upper edge and inboard edge like when you are deburring plastic, wood or metal. It opens the hole up in smaller increments than sanding or power tools, but it keeps the shape since you are removing the same amount with every pass. It doesn't take very long and since the plastic is pretty soft, you don't need to use much pressure.

EDIT: I should note, it's not really an issue with the SS3's. The issue lies in the way Subaru designed the area to fit the LED reflector area. So essentially it's like fitting 10lbs of something into a 5lb bag. haha

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Plant Window
See less See more
Looks good @Fergie

I'm hoping we dont get another email about how our order is delayed another 2- 3 weeks in the next few days.
🤞
Looks good @Fergie

I'm hoping we dont get another email about how our order is delayed another 2- 3 weeks in the next few days.
🤞
I'm very happy with the Pro's that I have now and never felt the need to upgrade to the Max. But if the updated backlit Max's end up coming out far enough ahead of the Pro and the standard Max in 3rd party testing, I might have to jump on them. But I won't will wait until this guy tests them (below). I will always have the Selective Yellow lens on after seeing it's benefits for my own eyes and saving my bum in crap weather. Even on my Victory I have the SSC2 Pro Fog lights with the clear lens, which are absolutely fantastic. But I have considered trying out a set of the Selective Yellow lenses just to see how they would do. Honestly, I believe many people would see the SSC2 Pro Fog as an upgrade over the OEM fog lights. Though Crash over at TacomaWorld hasn't tested the SSC2 Pro fog and SSC1 Pro fog, he does plan to test them and so far all the Diode Dynamics lights have held up to specs or better in his testing.

He will also be testing the new Morimoto 4Banger sometime soon as he gets time, he does this work on the side. But I am not holding my breath on the results. Despite the marketing of Morimoto's and Headlight Revolution's videos, I just don't see them being better or equal to the DD SS3's for the same price. Additionally, only the lower power NCS fog light is SAE Compliant, where as the HXB is NOT SAE COMPLIANT. That is very confusing if you read or listen to there descriptions. They claim the HXB is "too bright" to be SAE compliant, but that does not make sense. The 4Banger HXB uses 3 Osram HX Boost LED chips while the DD SS3 Max has 4 Osram HX Boost LED chips. So They are either driving them harder which would reduce the life, reduce output further from initial start-up or because the beam pattern is not as wide with more focus on distance. In the videos you can see that the width on the 4Banger is not as wide to the DD SS3's, so I suspect they are more focused which would increase the hotspot of the light.

Additionally, this post below is why Baja Designs SAE Fog lights (not wide cornering) are no good. It's interesting that because of this fog light thread, it prompted BD to make a revision to their SAE fog light which decreased the output even more. If you refer to the link above in about the middle of the first page, you'll see why the BD Wide Cornering are not suitable to use as fog lights since they have far too much glare...making you that a$$hole on the road. Plus BD's thermal management isn't that great throughout their product line-ups. The decrease in output from initial start-up to temperature stabilization is pretty poor. Many of their products reduce by about 40-50% output in 30+ minutes of runtime. Diode Dynamics even showed that in one of their SSC2 videos comparing them to other 2 LED pods. I know it would seem like they would have a bias, but Diode Dynamics is founded on data and not marketing unlike many brands.

If anyone is interested in SAE J581 Auxiliary Driving lights (these are intended as aux high beams, not additional low beams), here ya go. He limits the products to lights that meet SAE J581 Auxiliary High Beam Standards so you don't run into issues with the law and in areas that require inspections. Another reason he stuck with only lights that meet SAE J583 standards is that there are simply too many other light bars or pods out there to test and a company that is willing to deal with the scrutiny of meeting SAE standards is a high quality manufacture, generally speaking.

I have considered making some lighting threads, but I also don't want to just rip off Crash's testing as a copy/paste and I don't have the means or budget to replicate his tests. I'd love to in the future though. Sorry, I tend to get long winded, I don't know how to condense my thoughts into shorter explanations. lol
See less See more
I'm very happy with the Pro's that I have now and never felt the need to upgrade to the Max. But if the updated backlit Max's end up coming out far enough ahead of the Pro and the standard Max in 3rd party testing, I might have to jump on them. But I won't will wait until this guy tests them (below). I will always have the Selective Yellow lens on after seeing it's benefits for my own eyes and saving my bum in crap weather. Even on my Victory I have the SSC2 Pro Fog lights with the clear lens, which are absolutely fantastic. But I have considered trying out a set of the Selective Yellow lenses just to see how they would do. Honestly, I believe many people would see the SSC2 Pro Fog as an upgrade over the OEM fog lights. Though Crash over at TacomaWorld hasn't tested the SSC2 Pro fog and SSC1 Pro fog, he does plan to test them and so far all the Diode Dynamics lights have held up to specs or better in his testing.

I'm with you in regards to the yellow lighting. The older I get, the more I need visible light! The yellow provides that so much more than the 6k leds/hids. I have 4300k hids on my other car and it's so much better. I wont run any other color temp hids hahaha
21 - 40 of 56 Posts