Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this topic has been discussed elsewhere but I replaced a few other LEDs and figured I'd add some photos and details. Waiting to get more night shots.

Interior Vanity bulbs in visors: 28mm SMF2 in cool white (4 bulbs)

Interior Dome bulbs / puddle bulbs / tail light marker bulbs / trunk bulb: 194 HP5 in pure white (13 bulbs)

Reverse Light bulbs: 921 XP50 in cool white (2 bulbs)

reverse bulbs stick up much more into the tail light. I'll be interested to see how bright 410 lumens is. I have the step below these in my forester and have been happy with them. I work overnight and do a lot of driving at night. I also road trip a lot at night as well as camp and travel to some areas that lack any road lighting. $$$, but will pay for themselves. I was actually surprised how easy it is to swap bulbs into the tail lights. See the photos.

If anyone pulls a headlight, let me know if the marker bulbs can be swapped... I see a bulb illuminates but there is no access behind it. might be built in.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will post night photos tonight. Hoping the pure white interiors don't look blue.

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Brave man taking the tailights off on a brand new car...I want to do this upgrade as well, but I might be too nervous for a bit...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Brave man taking the tailights off on a brand new car...I want to do this upgrade as well, but I might be too nervous for a bit...
Literally 2 10mm bolts and it slid back. No removing trunk panels... very simple. You got it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have the time and don't mind, I'd like to see a side by side or before and after with the reverse bulbs. I'm interested in doing this too.
Will do. I’ll swap a stock back in. Working the next 4 nights so I’ll do it Monday night.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you have the time and don't mind, I'd like to see a side by side or before and after with the reverse bulbs. I'm interested in doing this too.
Will do. I’ll swap a stock back in. Working the next 4 nights so I’ll do it Monday night.
Thanks will be a good reference for me when I do the swap. Thanks for taking pics and posting.

I love a bright reverse light. I have the item below for my truck as a switchable aux reverse light. Very bright reverse light. But won’t work with the Ascent aesthetically.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152890816379

·
Registered
581 Posts
I know that this topic has been discussed elsewhere but I replaced a few other LEDs and figured I'd add some photos and details. Waiting to get more night shots.

Interior Dome bulbs / puddle bulbs / tail light marker bulbs / trunk bulb: 194 HP5 in pure white (13 bulbs)

reverse bulbs stick up much more into the tail light. I'll be interested to see how bright 410 lumens is. I have the step below these in my forester and have been happy with them. I work overnight and do a lot of driving at night. I also road trip a lot at night as well as camp and travel to some areas that lack any road lighting. $$$, but will pay for themselves. I was actually surprised how easy it is to swap bulbs into the tail lights. See the photos.

If anyone pulls a headlight, let me know if the marker bulbs can be swapped... I see a bulb illuminates but there is no access behind it. might be built in.
Thanks for the parts list! :smile_big:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you purchase these bulbs - are they available online?
Yes they are available on the diode dynamics website. With that in mind, check out the forums for other bulb options. DD are on the high end of the replacement bulb costs. LEDs can be had for much less though. I’m just partial to DD.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Did you have to wire the lift gate light, or was the wiring there?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you have to wire the lift gate light, or was the wiring there?
That light, which is made for the Forester, comes with a wire harness that plugs in to the trunk stock light plug. The harness has a T connect so you don’t have to cut wires in.
There should be a photo of the light and harness in the box in this thread somewhere.

**edit: I see there isn’t a photo of that light here. It must be in the LED upgrade thread. There you’ll see photos of it.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
That light, which is made for the Forester, comes with a wire harness that plugs in to the trunk stock light plug. The harness has a T connect so you don’t have to cut wires in.
There should be a photo of the light and harness in the box in this thread somewhere.

**edit: I see there isn’t a photo of that light here. It must be in the LED upgrade thread. There you’ll see photos of it.
Thanks much!!! Anxiously awaiting my horrendously delayed light. :smile:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks much!!! Anxiously awaiting my horrendously delayed light. :smile:
It’s defiantly a nice addition. I’m surprised there is such a delay. I wonder if it’s Ascent owners increasing the demand.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
275 Posts

You got me sold. Just put in my order for the $90 reverse lights and the $20 vanity bulbs. Already previously purchased the dome lights, etc from superbrightLEDS.

·
Registered
583 Posts

Just curious as to why the interior dome bulbs are pure white and the others are all cool white? Availability, cost, light color, the particular application, or no reason just because you wanted too ,might be reasons?
The pure white seems like a great choice....Any second thoughts on your choices or would you do anything different? I Plan to do mine also when I get my Ascent....just deciding, asking questions....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious as to why the interior dome bulbs are pure white and the others are all cool white? Availability, cost, light color, the particular application, or no reason just because you wanted too ,might be reasons?
The pure white seems like a great choice....Any second thoughts on your choices or would you do anything different? I Plan to do mine also when I get my Ascent....just deciding, asking questions....
I prefer the pure white over the cool but those style bulbs only come in cool. No pure white option. That’s the reason for the difference. And since I really won’t be using any of the different bulbs in co junction, I stuck with pure white inside instead of cool.

I have been very happy with the light output as well as the color.

·
Registered
583 Posts

Did you change out the license plate bulbs? If so , which bulb did you use?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you change out the license plate bulbs? If so , which bulb did you use?
Yes I did. I went with the HP5 bulbs for those aw well in cool white. I’m happy with the appearance. A bit more modern but not too ‘led blue’

Reactions: Gueromeister

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes I did. I went with the HP5 bulbs for those aw well in cool white. I’m happy with the appearance. A bit more modern but not too ‘led blue’

Ascent owners are going to want specific pictures of how to remove each of those covers on the interior lights, and the license plate lamps. Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts