Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened twice. On one occasion I noticed a big scratch on the hood and on the next occasion dings (2 of them) close to the window door. The dealer promised to fix the dent later. Have you had any such experiences. I trust their words but I am unwilling to buy a car with dings on it.

Have you folks had similar experience and what do you do in such cases? Am I being too picky?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't believe you are picky at all. If they are serious about selling that vehicle, they should fix it up before any commitments are made on your part. I would not want to have to go back if the fixes are not done correctly. After putting down so much money, you should be enjoying your new purchase and not stressing if the dealer will do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Any new vehicle must be delivered to you pristine. Whenever I buy a new car, I go over it with a fine-tooth comb before I sign the papers. I inspect every inch, inside and out.

My Ascent had a few minor scratches which I brought to their attention. They immediately sent it to the body shop and it came back with zero defects.

Minor surface scratches are easy for a body shop to repair, but a ding is of more concern. They can fix them with the right expertise, but check it very carefully before you accept the car. You have every right to insist that a new car is without issues. Keep in mind that once you drive the car off of the lot, any scratches or dings are now your problem.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Keep in mind that once you drive the car off of the lot, any scratches or dings are now your problem.
My old Subaru dealer in TN would inspect any vehicle for dings and dents with you when you went in for service. They were marked on a piece of paper that you initialed. I liked that - if there is one on it after being serviced, it was "on them". I miss that, my new dealer in PA does not do that unless it was because I only took it in for inspection for auto tag. I'll find out for sure on the next oil change in a few weeks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Douglass Subaru in Waco, TX, had to get my Ascent from another dealer, and it arrived with a few dents in the doors, they pointed them out, apologized and immediately called and got another one from a different dealer that was pristine. Took an additional day, but, felt they were really watching out for me.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My old Subaru dealer in TN would inspect any vehicle for dings and dents with you when you went in for service. They were marked on a piece of paper that you initialed...
My current dealer has an app on a tablet that takes photos and notes and which I initial when dropping the car off for service.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My old Subaru dealer in TN would inspect any vehicle for dings and dents with you when you went in for service. They were marked on a piece of paper that you initialed. I liked that - if there is one on it after being serviced, it was "on them". I miss that, my new dealer in PA does not do that unless it was because I only took it in for inspection for auto tag. I'll find out for sure on the next oil change in a few weeks.
They do that not to protect you, but to protect themselves from you claiming an existing scratch or dent was caused by them when they serviced your car. I wish it was the other way around, but sorry it's not. Ask them, they'll even admit it.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
They do that not to protect you, but to protect themselves from you claiming an existing scratch or dent was caused by them when they serviced your car. I wish it was the other way around, but sorry it's not. Ask them, they'll even admit it.
Best part is that it works both ways, and protects the car owners too.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Best part is that it works both ways, and protects the car owners too.
Agreed, but that's not why they do it and they may or may not show you their inspection if they truly were responsible for any damage while your vehicle was in their care.

I had body damage done to a Ford truck while in the dealer's care, they refused to admit it and refused to let me see their paperwork.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Agreed, but that's not why they do it and they may or may not show you their inspection if they truly were responsible for any damage while your vehicle was in their care.

I had body damage done to a Ford truck while in the dealer's care, they refused to admit it and refused to let me see their paperwork.
I'm not sure how it varies from state to state, but we have to sign ours here, whether for a rental, or when doing so for our cars for repair service.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm not sure how it varies from state to state, but we have to sign ours here, whether for a rental, or when doing so for our cars for repair service.
We do too, but they never give me a copy. Next time I'll ask for one and see what they say.

My Subaru dealer is great so I don't really worry too much about it. If I were to go in for a major repair though, such as transmission or engine work, where the car needs to go through a lot, I would first take a video of the interior and exterior right before signing in, just for my own records.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.