Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 128gb Samsung FIT 3.1 thumb drive figuring that I can put enough music on it that I'd never need to remove it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PDLXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before loading it up, I figured that I should find out what the HK is capable of supporting. It's been so long that I have ripped a CD that I had to figure that part out too. :ROFLMAO:

This is what the owner's manual offers in terms of digital audio specs.

Font Screenshot Number Document Parallel

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Document

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
The head unit prefers the flash drive formatted in NTFS or Fat32, exFat not so much. I rip cd's at 256kbs with windows media player. My music is arranged (path) artist folder, individual albums of artist folder, songs on the cd. You must let your ripping player download (tag) the information for the cd so the computer and the head unit doesn't read it as a "unknown album".

It is very easy to do and the head unit always recognizes it immediately. I have read complaints of the sound quality
of the HK and my experience is the flash drive music sound is far superior to am, fm, xm or bluetooth.

Seriously my driver mirror vibrates with the bass with the volume on 20.

The head unit will arrange and display artists weird if there are two artist names tagged on a cd or a song.

Good Luck you will love the sound.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head unit prefers the flash drive formatted in NTFS or Fat32, exFat not so much.
Thanks. I noted that in other threads and reformatted to NTFS. It came pre-formatted as exFAT. I tested the speed on a USB 3.0 port and it tested the same before and after the re-format but there's slightly more reserved space under NTFS. No biggie since this drive is huge.

Here's the post-NTFS format speed.

Font Technology Screenshot Display device Rectangle

Now I just need to get a CD that my totally diskless Win10 can see. My last CD drive is connected to a Vista PC. Like I said, ages since I've ripped a CD.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
That document is a bit outdated in places and incorrect in others. Do not count on it to be accurate.

For instance, the Gen 3.x head units absolutely do support m3u files, if built properly for a drive letterless system (path off root listings only). That's one of the multiple inaccuracies I've found in HK's documentation, including in some of the erroneous information they've passed on to Subaru.

One day, I will do a better version of the video, and maybe get around to making a playlist editor/creator for the Gen 3.x head units. But, not today, or any time soon.

Interesting tidbit:
The new Gen 4.x Denso/Subaru 11.4" head units in the Outbacks and Legacies, which run Harman Kardon software, do NOT support m3u files. Nor supposedly did the Denso/Clarion Gen 2.x units.

We got lucky, and have that support.

I just bought a 128gb Samsung FIT 3.1 thumb drive figuring that I can put enough music on it that I'd never need to remove it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PDLXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before loading it up, I figured that I should find out what the HK is capable of supporting. It's been so long that I have ripped a CD that I had to figure that part out too. :ROFLMAO:

This is what the owner's manual offers in terms of digital audio specs.

View attachment 11211
View attachment 11210

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Yeah, for some reason, the head unit gets stuck on exFAT when there are multiple nested directories.

With NTFS, it will load very complex folder and naming structures, and ID3 info from the files, in blazingly fast time.

FAT32 isn't recommended, especially on bigger sticks (because, to even use FAT32 on bigger sticks requires using a kludge, since FAT32 wasn't designed to support anything more than 32GB).

The head unit prefers the flash drive formatted in NTFS or Fat32, exFat not so much. I rip cd's at 256kbs with windows media player. My music is arranged (path) artist folder, individual albums of artist folder, songs on the cd. You must let your ripping player download (tag) the information for the cd so the computer and the head unit doesn't read it as a "unknown album".

It is very easy to do and the head unit always recognizes it immediately. I have read complaints of the sound quality
of the HK and my experience is the flash drive music sound is far superior to am, fm, xm or bluetooth.

Seriously my driver mirror vibrates with the bass with the volume on 20.

The head unit will arrange and display artists weird if there are two artist names tagged on a cd or a song.

Good Luck you will love the sound.
Thanks. I noted that in other threads and reformatted to NTFS. It came pre-formatted as exFAT. I tested the speed on a USB 3.0 port and it tested the same before and after the re-format but there's slightly more reserved space under NTFS. No biggie since this drive is huge.

Here's the post-NTFS format speed.

View attachment 11214

Now I just need to get a CD that my totally diskless Win10 can see. My last CD drive is connected to a Vista PC. Like I said, ages since I've ripped a CD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts