Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We find our 2019 Subaru Ascent very difficult to get into. The seats have such a hump in which you have to raise you body to get over it and the door opening is low. Does anyone else find it difficult to get into the driver's seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lower the seat? not trying to be a smarty pants. When my wife is in the driver seat, she puts the seat very high, and if I don't hit my memory seat position for myself, I hit my head ...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Not at all. In fact, it's easier than many vehicles for us.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Mess around with the seat adjustments and see if you can get something that works for you. Unfortunately there are no controls for the bolsters themselves though

I'm used to performance-oriented cars with deep bolstered bucket seats. For both my wife and I, 5'10" and 6' respectively, the ingress and egress is probably the easiest of any car we've ever owned,....and as anybody knows, I've otherwise got a list a mile long with complaints and issues I've had with the car in 6 months. But fortunately ingress and egress isn't one of them.

I would sell the car if that were an issue that I could not resolve, b/c you'll have to deal with it at least twice every time you take the car somewhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We find our 2019 Subaru Ascent very difficult to get into. The seats have such a hump in which you have to raise you body to get over it and the door opening is low. Does anyone else find it difficult to get into the driver's seat.
My mother is 91 and petite. She puts her hand on the dashboard ledge to balance as she gets in and out. I’ve since learned it is only held in with clips, so you can’t really lean on it hard. She only rests her hand on the ledge to balance

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey there. As you can probably imagine based on the responses so far, this question deals with a very subjective issue. In general, the first of the two features that I find contributing to the vehicle being easier to get into and out of for most folks is the 8.7 inches of ground clearance, which means for many there's less bending down required to get into the seat. The second feature is how wide of an angle the doors will open to that allows for a more direct path into the seat (although it also leads to a greater risk of dinging neighboring cars with your door). That said, one's view on this very much depends also on how tall one is, how easy it is for one to move around (for example, I have rather extensive arthritis that makes getting into and out of any car potentially uncomfortable to some degree), and what one's body proportions are. Also, if I'm understanding what you mean by "hump", the side bolster of the seat is meant to keep the occupant's posterior from sliding/rolling from side-to-side during turns. If it's too shallow it won't be able to do it's job.

When you say the door opening is too low, do you mean the top edge of the door opening? I find it to be just fine, but it seems to me that would vary a great deal based on how tall a person is. I suppose the same would apply if you mean the bottom edge of the door opening as well, although with almost 9 inches of ground clearance, I can't imagine many folks finding the bottom edge of the door to be too low.

I guess what I mean to say is, to perhaps suggest solutions to your perceptions we'll need more information.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have MS and this was a big issue for me. Found the Ascent much easier to get into than most, especially cars lower to the ground.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My mother in law found it difficult to get into my 16' OB. She has a much easier time in my Ascent. My wife (5'1") and Myself (6'0") have no issues.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My father-in-law also found the Ascent easier to get in and out of than even his F150. The truck is a bit too high compared to the Ascent, which he says pretty much at the sweet spot for him entry/exit-wise. He's not getting rid of his F150 though :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
it's unfortunate that it's not comfortable for you. It's a hard thing to tell with just a couple of test drives, because you probably won't notice it the first couple times you get in and out of any car, unless it's something like an Alfa 4C or something really big like a 1 ton pickup. and unfortunately the seats on the Ascent don't adjust a whole lot of ways so you're kind of stuck with just a handful of adjustments. maybe there's some kind of cushion you could get for the seat if you could secure it well enough, otherwise you might have to look at getting something else. There aren't a whole lot of options for you with regards to making the seats more comfortable

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife (5'1") and I (5'8") do not have a problem getting in or out. I'm sorry you od.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to be harsh, but didn’t you test getting in and out before you bought the vehicle? We made an appointment with our Subaru salesman with all five kids to make sure there were no hassles getting everyone aboard quickly and comfortably, it was a huge selling point.

Modern seats have bolsters, not just for sport and cornering, but also to give substance to the seat for crash test purposes and passenger safety.

Do you have a Limited or Touring? Here is an idea, you have two memory settings for the seats. Why not make setting 1 to get into the car, with the seats made ultra low and far back and setting 2 for when you are ready to take off and drive.

That may solve your issue and keep you enjoying the vehicle you purchased.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife (5'1") and I (5'8") do not have a problem getting in or out. I'm sorry you od.
I find the Ascent Touring very easy to get in and out and has loads of leg room but unfortunately, my wife does not. I am 6" but she is 5'3" and has a bad back. Our Ford Flex was much lower to the ground and the driver's seat could be lowered. I find this one feature a big lack on the Ascent; the passenger seat should have all the range of adjustments that the driver has. If my wife could lower the passenger seat, it would be MUCH easier. Her Lexus does this, our older Mercedes had full passenger seat adjustment as did the Ford. This is a needed improvement especially if you ever transport older people.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some cars have an "entry" seat position, that moves the seat back and down for easy access. The subaru does not (that I know of). If you have programmable seats, I guess you could set one preset for entry and the other for driving position. My wife is tiny and she never locks the doors, so when I get in the car, it doesnt automatically go to my position (doors must first be locked, then unlock changes seat profile). I feel like its uncomfortable.

If you are a seat forward driver, this is most likely the issue. You don't have enough room to enter the cockpit. I might suggest moving the seat back and adjusting the steering wheel as long as you can reach the pedals.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It certainly won't work or be optimum for everyone, but we use our Ascent to transport my wife's 5'6" 90 year old mother as she finds it easier to get in and out of than her sedan and my wife's PU. Personally, for generally use, I'd rather have to climb into a vehicle than climb out of one. Sports cars are a different proposition entirely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts