Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suddenly our 2019 Ascent Touring is having difficulty turning left and right, forward and reverse, at very low speeds. It feels as though the vehicle is in 4-wheel low or that someone has set a DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) to front lock. Has anyone else experienced issues similar to this? We live in a very remote rural area, but we will certainly try and get the vehicle to a dealership this week.

·
Registered
646 Posts
So I've had this issue in the past on my old WRX. I'm not going say this is 100% the issue but it was the center differential going bad. However, it was accompanied by some whining at speed. Are you only having issues at low speed? Does this happen on say a nice smooth parking lot (just want to make sure it isn't only happening on gravel/dirt roads)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I've had this issue in the past on my old WRX. I'm not going say this is 100% the issue but it was the center differential going bad. However, it was accompanied by some whining at speed. Are you only having issues at low speed? Does this happen on say a nice smooth parking lot (just want to make sure it isn't only happening on gravel/dirt roads)?
I've just noticed it in smooth parking lots. We stay off-road so much, it might have been causing a problem for quite some time now and I'm only just now noticing it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ok, if it's happening consistently on smooth surfaces the dealer should be able to diagnose it so I'd just start there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're already trying to jump to conclusions by saying our aftermarket wheels and tires are to blame; they're within about 3% of the overall original wheel/tire rolling diameter.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Full time AWD will do this at times. Generally its only an issue if the center differential locks up and doesn’t release at all causing it to be near impossible to turn the car on pavement.

All my Subarus and my Landcruiser at times would get stiff for a short turn occasionally at slow speeds causing tough turning. Usually when it this happens you can stop or slow to a crawl letting off the throttle for a split second and the center diff will for a lack of a better word relax and the binding will subside.

The Subaru diff is also sensitive to heat so if your in slick conditions and its warmed updue to various tires slipping then hit grippy parking lot pavement it can for sure give you the stiff loaded binding affect.

·
Registered
646 Posts
They're already trying to jump to conclusions by saying our aftermarket wheels and tires are to blame; they're within about 3% of the overall original wheel/tire rolling diameter.
It shouldn't matter if they are within x% of original as long as they are all the same with regards to each other. If you want to jump through the hoops you can put your stock tires/rims on if you have them and see if it does the same thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had this happen to my previous Forester. They replaced the transfer duty solenoid and clutch pack. it would bind almost like going over a small speed bump when turning sharply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts