Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my wife’s 19’ Ascent it took me about an hour, and that's because I stopped for lunch and I was teaching my friends son what I was doing. Only special tool I needed was a T70 torx bit for the front diff drain, luckily my Snap On rep answered my phone call on a Sunday, and a long funnel to fill the front. Everything is accessible front and rear without removing anything. Our local Subaru dealer wanted to charge $400+ tax then shop supply and disposal fee. Do you think they’ll put a Subaru master tech on a differential oil change? Hell no you’ll get a lube tech for the price of a Subaru Master tech. With the T70 from Snap On and using Amsoil gear lube it cost me about $100 and maybe an hour of my time tops. I love how service friendly Ascents are!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Can you go into detail how this differential oil change is done?

In my wife’s 19’ Ascent it took me about an hour, and that's because I stopped for lunch and I was teaching my friends son what I was doing. Only special tool I needed was a T70 torx bit for the front diff drain, luckily my Snap On rep answered my phone call on a Sunday, and a long funnel to fill the front. Everything is accessible front and rear without removing anything. Our local Subaru dealer wanted to charge $400+ tax then shop supply and disposal fee. Do you think they’ll put a Subaru master tech on a differential oil change? Hell no you’ll get a lube tech for the price of a Subaru Master tech. With the T70 from Snap On and using Amsoil gear lube it cost me about $100 and maybe an hour of my time tops. I love how service friendly Ascents are!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I can, get the car on a lift or level on jack stands. Remove the front differential vent, can’t miss it. Its on the passenger side and looks like a rubber plug with a hose in it, you can pull it out with two fingers and minimal force. The vent is accessible from under the hood. underneath on the front diff there’s a T70 drain plug and a 12mm overflow plug about a foot to the left of it. Remove both plugs, fair warning the fluid comes out fast and makes a mess. Put the T70 plug back in and torque it to 36ft lbs according to what I’ve read that’s the spec for all drain plugs on the diffs. Leave the 12mm overflow out and start filling through the vent hole using a long funnel with the gear oil of your choice, I used Amsoil. Keep filling until it starts running out of the 12mm Overflow hole and let it run until it becomes a steady drip then install the overflow plug the front is now done. The rear is easy there’s a drain and fill plug on the passenger side that required a T55 torx that usually comes standard in any torx set and a 10mm Allen socket for the drain. Just drain and fill until it comes out the fill plug, and let it come to a dteady drip and install the fill plug and you’re done. Best advice I can give is make sure you loosen the fill plugs first, because if you drain the fluid and can’t get the fill plug out, you’ll be hurtin.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Remove the front differential vent, can’t miss it.
One major word of warning to everyone. There are TWO vents that look identical. One of them is for your CVT.

Make sure you fill via the correct vent, or you will destroy your empty front differential and also destroy your CVT that now has gear oil in it.

(otherwise, yes, this is a very simple fluid change with the correct fill tool)

·
Registered
154 Posts
One major word of warning to everyone. There are TWO vents that look identical. One of them is for your CVT.

Make sure you fill via the correct vent, or you will destroy your empty front differential and also destroy your CVT that now has gear oil in it.

I normally refill through the fill hole on the diff itself. Is it much easier through the vent on the Ascent?

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I normally refill through the fill hole on the diff itself. Is it much easier through the vent on the Ascent?
It may be easier, but it's wrong.
What you are doing is the proper way to fill it, to avoid overfilling it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
$400 to change the diff fluids? That's nuts. Even $100 sounds high.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I definitely used the correct vent hole. its Directly on the diff you can’t miss it or confuse it.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
The front diff doesn’t have a fill hole. You fill it until it barley drips out of the overflow hole. This depicts the rear diff, which is how I filled it.
My apologies, dunno why I am thinking rear and not front (probably because my mind is stuck on another project I have, changing out my rear skid plate bracket).

Yes, the front is filled through the breather until it overflows through the overflow hole (which are two separate things, for those of you following along).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts