Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys,
I just noticed that if you remove your seatbelt while in DRIVE, that the ding turns on. HAHA! Yes it does.
BUT
Did you notice that if you have the seatbelt off and go to PARK, the seatbelt ding stays on?
It only turns off if you turn off the car or you insert your seatbelt.
You might think that if the car goes to PARK that the Seatbelt alarm would shutoff.

Let me know if this is happening to your car, otherwise if it doesn't, I'll send my car in for warranty.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It goes off somehow. When I drop my wife off at work, she'll sometimes remove the seatbelt prior to me getting out of drive. We'll get the dinging, while in park like you said, but I am 100% it goes off either when you hit the unlock buttons, or when you put it back in drive. Can't confirm which, but I know I don't have to turn the car off, or buckle an empty seat, to make it stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happened to me this weekend for 1st time. I was moving car slowly around hotel parking lot and wasn't buckled in. The ding started off quite then got louder. When I put it in Park it kept going and even after I got out of the vehicle and closed the door with nobody in the Ascent. I had to get back in and buckle up the seat belt for it to stop.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It’s a bug for sure - noticed it on my first test drive and run into it often. Super easy CanBus fix too if they‘d ever get around to fixing it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
There's a big parking lot with speed bumps that I sometime drive through without my belt fastened and when I slow enough for a speed bump or come to a stop, the belt dinger silences. It starts again as I speed up and then will silence again when I slow enough or stop. This is in drive. I haven't paid attention to it when shifting to park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay guys,
I just noticed that if you remove your seatbelt while in DRIVE, that the ding turns on. HAHA! Yes it does.
BUT
Did you notice that if you have the seatbelt off and go to PARK, the seatbelt ding stays on?
It only turns off if you turn off the car or you insert your seatbelt.
You might think that if the car goes to PARK that the Seatbelt alarm would shutoff.

Let me know if this is happening to your car, otherwise if it doesn't, I'll send my car in for warranty.
Seatbelt chimes are legally required (I think}. Dealer isn't allowed to disable it but fastening and unfastening the seatbelt 20 times within 30 seconds WILL disable it (and passenger warning). BTW - If you start the car with drivers belt unfastened, it will ding six times, then silence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a bit more complex than just dings. Don't ask me how I know.

First, there are two volume levels. Lower volume dings run 15 times then it gets louder and won't stop until you turn the car off.

Second, if, within that first lower volume 15 ding range, you come to a stop, the dings stop. If you start moving again, the dings start again and the ding counter resets to zero.

Scenario 1 - No seat belt, you drive, and don't come to a stop. 15 low volume dings, 16th ding is louder and continues until car is turned off regardless of if car stops or is put into Park.

Scenario 2 - No seat belt, you drive, and hear 5 low volume dings. Stop at stop sign and dings stop. Start driving again, hear 10 low volume dings. Stop at stop sign and dings stop. Start driving again, hear 7 low volume dings. Stop at stop sign and dings stop. Start driving again, hear 15 low volume dings, then hear 3 louder dings. Stop at stop sign and louder dings continue until you turn car off.

Yeah, like I said. Don't ask.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Scenario 2 - No seat belt, you drive, and hear 5 low volume dings. Stop at stop sign and dings stop. Start driving again, hear 10 low volume dings. Stop at stop sign and dings stop. Start driving again, hear 7 low volume dings. Stop at stop sign and dings stop. Start driving again, hear 15 low volume dings, then hear 3 louder dings. Stop at stop sign and louder dings continue until you turn car off.

Yeah, like I said. Don't ask.
With all that mystery, I suspect it's all part of some conspiracy to hide the DaVinci Codex, and the number of dings follows a Fibonacci sequence...

... or, you could just tell us how in the world you figured that out!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can imagine it's some safety regulation when in Drive to have the dinging. But Park is what I don't get. It's almost like the issue about not able to leave your rear liftgate open when tailgating or camping otherwise the car battery dies in a few hours.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yep, overlooked bugs and design missteps that remain unfixed.

I’m amazed Subaru hasn’t fixed the rear hatch thing yet. We really need a fix before summer starts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts