Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased the 6 year Safety and Security. I was under the impression, I'd also get the free 6 months in addition to the 6 years, but when I logged into MySubaru, it's only showing 6 years worth.

Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought the 3 year package for $75. It expires in 3 years, not 3.5 years.

i THINK the choices were 6 months free OR 3 years/$75... meaning that if I'd taken the 6 months free, I'd be paying full price after that.

But my memory is awful. So there's that.

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Registered
494 Posts
Same here. I bought the 3 year subscription and thought it would be added to the 6 months. I even got emails saying to activate my 6 month trial but when I emailed Subaru about it and they said there is no such promotion.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, that is why it is $75 for 3 years, huge discount and includes the 6 months trial.

Edit: by includes I mean it doesn't add on to it. The dealer rate is $75 a year, but you essentially give up the 6 month trial for 2 free years with any package you choose from 3 years forward.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey all,

I purchased the 6 year Safety and Security. I was under the impression, I'd also get the free 6 months in addition to the 6 years, but when I logged into MySubaru, it's only showing 6 years worth.

Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks!

We got the 7 years, and that is all it shows is 7 years. I think when you buy the extended years you forgo the free 6 months.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You receive a reduced price in lieu of 6 months free.

Ex: on the old system it was 1-3 years with a free first year of Safety Plus(worth 99), and only 50 dollars to upgrade to security plus (normally 150). The same discount applies for each term.

Non-intro pricing for 3 years of safety plus is 199.95, 6 years would be 399.90, so you're already saving 249.95, 199.95 of that is the regular 3 year cost, the rest is the discounted rate for the free period, so rather than buying an additional amount of time, they're giving you the free period + reduced rate pricing for the additional term.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Some of what's just been mentioned seems a little misleading regarding when to buy and get the reduced/discounted rates.

And I was wondering the same thing (do you get your free 6 months on top of the years you just paid for? Nope, you don't.) These days that's par for the course unfortunately.

However, what I'm doing and what I think maybe @Robert.Mauro is doing and others, is I'm using my trial period to the fullest to make sure I want these services, safety AND security and if I do, THEN I'll buy them (at the reduced rate) before my trials end.

You can wait until the 89th day of the trial (maybe the 90th but I wouldn't risk it) and still get the reduced rate. You don't have to give up your trial period and buy it immediately to take advantage of the reduced rates.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
However, what I'm doing and what I think maybe @Robert.Mauro is doing and others, is I'm using my trial period to the fullest to make sure I want these services, safety AND security and if I do, THEN I'll buy them (at the reduced rate) before my trials end.
LOL, I wish. Alas, I decided this would be my "Forever Car" ("forever" being 350,000 miles, or about 7-8 years for me), so, I ordered everything except the LED upgrade and car seat covers... including maximum Starlink Concierge subscription and first year SiriusXM at the massive discount we were offered. And AT&T WiFi of course.

SIDE NOTE: For those of you who are going to order the services at purchase, IF you all get it all worked out before your finance guy gets all the paperwork in, you can add the Starlink cost to your financed amount. You don't have to pay for it separately.

You can wait until the 89th day of the trial (maybe the 90th but I wouldn't risk it) and still get the reduced rate. You don't have to give up your trial period and buy it immediately to take advantage of the reduced rates.
Not sure how that works, or if they factor in the 6 months into that. Hmmm... if someone can find out for sure, please post the details. But, that would be a neat way of "gaming the system" to get the free 6 months, plus 6 years (or however long one chooses) at the discounted rates.

·
Registered
144 Posts
LOL, I wish. Alas, I decided this would be my "Forever Car" ("forever" being 350,000 miles, or about 7-8 years for me), so, I ordered everything except the LED upgrade and car seat covers... including maximum Starlink Concierge subscription and first year SiriusXM at the massive discount we were offered. And AT&T WiFi of course.

SIDE NOTE: For those of you who are going to order the services at purchase, IF you all get it all worked out before your finance guy gets all the paperwork in, you can add the Starlink cost to your financed amount. You don't have to pay for it separately.

Not sure how that works, or if they factor in the 6 months into that. Hmmm... if someone can find out for sure, please post the details. But, that would be a neat way of "gaming the system" to get the free 6 months, plus 6 years (or however long one chooses) at the discounted rates.
If I log into MySubaru and try to upgrade my subscription for the STARLINK Security Plus, I can get it at a prorated cost and will be extended to the Safety Renewal Date. Waiting until the last minute of the 6 months free does not get you additional time (if I upgraded my STARLINK Security Plus, it would expire on 8/24/2021 - currently expiring on 2/24/2019 which is 6 months from my purchase date).

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
If I log into MySubaru and try to upgrade my subscription for the STARLINK Security Plus, I can get it at a prorated cost and will be extended to the Safety Renewal Date. Waiting until the last minute of the 6 months free does not get you additional time (if I upgraded my STARLINK Security Plus, it would expire on 8/24/2021 - currently expiring on 2/24/2019 which is 6 months from my purchase date).
Right, sorry, I didn't intend for it to sound like I was gaming the system or anything to get 6 extra months (3.5 years). The free trial would be and still is part of those 3 years you are paying for. You aren't getting the years on top of the trial months. It's the years which will include the trial months.

I was simply trying to convey that you don't have to immediately buy the years if you aren't yet sure you want the service. You can wait the 89 days (again I wouldn't risk the entire 90) before deciding, and you will still qualify for the discounted/reduced rates for a "new car purchase".

Just think of it like the SAS/extended warranty plans. You will always get your 3 year/36,000 miles new car warranty (think of this as your 6 month StarLink trial) but if you want the extended 10 year/100,000 miles warranty, that extended warranty started when you bought your car, not at 3 years (if you wait to purchase it). You get 10 total, not 13 if you wait. This StarLink trial stuff is the same premise.

I bet I just confused a whole bunch more people, sorry. Makes sense to me, haha :grin:

Edit: I just found this again from what @Burutoo posted a while back.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...istry-check-area/1751-starlink.html#post23221

Take a look at the renewal prices and the stated "AFTER 180 days or 6 months". So as long as you renew or upgrade before that cut off, you should still qualify for the introductory "new car" rates.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Right, sorry, I didn't intend for it to sound like I was gaming the system or anything to get 6 extra months (3.5 years). The free trial would be and still is part of those 3 years you are paying for. You aren't getting the years on top of the trial months. It's the years which will include the trial months.
I didn't mean "gaming the system" in a negative way. We didn't write the code, lol!!! That would have been a GREAT find... I was almost regretting signing up for the full seven years. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure if this is still an open question but I went around and around with my sales rep on this one when I picked up my Ascent. In the end, the dealership had no idea that you get 6 months free of the upgraded service and you don't have to commit on the spot. In fact the sales rep said "if you do it that way I won't get a commission." (?)

Point being - everyone who purchases an Ascent gets 180 days of Safety and Security Plus included. In order to active the trial period you just need to install the My Subaru app on your phone, go to subscriptions and enter a credit card for the upgraded service (you won't be charged until after the 180 days).

As noted above, it's not going to get you additional time if you decide to commit to the introductory pricing, but I also have a hunch a lot of folks are getting pressured to sign up on the spot when they purchase the vehicle and there's really no reason to do that...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure if this is still an open question but I went around and around with my sales rep on this one when I picked up my Ascent. In the end, the dealership had no idea that you get 6 months free of the upgraded service and you don't have to commit on the spot. In fact the sales rep said "if you do it that way I won't get a commission." (?)

Point being - everyone who purchases an Ascent gets 180 days of Safety and Security Plus included. In order to active the trial period you just need to install the My Subaru app on your phone, go to subscriptions and enter a credit card for the upgraded service (you won't be charged until after the 180 days).

As noted above, it's not going to get you additional time if you decide to commit to the introductory pricing, but I also have a hunch a lot of folks are getting pressured to sign up on the spot when they purchase the vehicle and there's really no reason to do that...
Do you know if this approach will still give you, or allow you to choose, a discounted price (say $375 for 7 years). Or would it just put you onto a monthly sub of $4.95?
(https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/23221-post2.html)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The way I read it is that you have 180 days to get the discounted price. By signing up through the app you have to provide a credit card so that after 6 months they can just start charging your the monthly price - so my guess is you have to actually call Subaru of America before then if you want to purchase a discounted plan (or cancel). What I did learn from the dealership is that unless they can sign you up on the spot when they create your account profile in their system, they have nothing to do with a later discounted purchase - those go direct through SOA.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
There's one reason for some of us. One can include it in the financed amount and never have to worry about paying one big payment later. While it's not much (and I ended up paying all at once, and not on my loan), I know I considered simply adding it to my loan payments. I didn't end up doing it, because changes to my accessory orders already had my finance guy have to change my loan (after it was finalized) twice - those changes were all at my behest, btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts