Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of purchasing a 2020 Ascent Limited.

According to both KBB and Costco, the invoice price on a 2020 should be $40,204 ($36,735 for Limited, $2,459 for Tech Package, $1,010 for delivery). However, according to the dealer (who accepts VIP pricing) I am working with, the Dealer price is $41,726, which is $1,522 more! Did Subaru really increase the price on Ascent 2020s by 4%?

What is weird is that the invoice pricing that they provided on the options match up with KBB (though not Costco).

Anyone have any idea whether I should trust the new Dealer price? It's possible that SOA increased prices across the board. It just sucks that it will effectively cost me $1,500.

·
Registered
89 Posts

MSRP and Invoice pricing have not changed and won't for MY2020. Only when MY2021 comes out will prices change.

Are you positive your dealer is working with exactly the same options and add-ons as you are? Must compare absolutely identical configurations.

Otherwise, I would be concerned about the honesty of your dealer that you are currently working with. Do you have any other options for getting VIP pricing?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I am in process of purchasing a 2020 Ascent Limited.

According to both KBB and Costco, the invoice price on a 2020 should be $40,204 ($36,735 for Limited, $2,459 for Tech Package, $1,010 for delivery). However, according to the dealer (who accepts VIP pricing) I am working with, the Dealer price is $41,726, which is $1,522 more! Did Subaru really increase the price on Ascent 2020s by 4%?

What is weird is that the invoice pricing that they provided on the options match up with KBB (though not Costco).

Anyone have any idea whether I should trust the new Dealer price? It's possible that SOA increased prices across the board. It just sucks that it will effectively cost me $1,500.
Dealer pricing in your area is not necessarily the same as in the rest of the nation. You are in Subaru of New England territory. SNE is a distributorship separate from Subaru of America, that buys from SoA and sells to your state's dealerships. SDC does the same for NY and NJ. The rest of the country orders from SoA directly.

Taxes, fees and destination charges may also be different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Robert.Mauro: Does that mean that everyone in New England basically pays more on average for a Subaru than the rest of the nation since there is an additional middle-man (i.e. SNE)?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
@Robert.Mauro: Does that mean that everyone in New England basically pays more on average for a Subaru than the rest of the nation since there is an additional middle-man (i.e. SNE)?
I've never bought through SNE, but, I have bought through SDC. Because it was through SDC, my VIP Pricing was invoice (and not 2% below). Regardless, I bought from @Liberty Subaru so their pricing is always phenomenal, regardless of the differences in pricing between SNE, SDC and the rest of the country.

So, short version is, I do know that SNE and SDC dealerships can set prices differently than the rest of the country (and accessory prices may be different as well), but that doesn't mean they do. Some of my accessories were a little different in price, IIRC.

Also, when it comes to taxes and fees and documentation costs, etc, those are all determined in part by the state you are in. I never researched your state to find out the differences in cost. My purchase was based on NJ pricing for that.

You can request the invoice and compare. That's the only way you will know where the differences are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robert, how can you tell if the pricing you receive is actually phenomenal or even just good?

Before, I thought that VIP Pricing in itself would be a straightforward and simple way to get value. But since invoice pricing can actually vary by state, the "invoice minus 2%" that goes with VIP Pricing is not as transparent and fair as I thought.

This feels like what retail discounters do at the outlets...mark-up the price to make the discount feel bigger than it actually is.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Robert, how can you tell if the pricing you receive is actually phenomenal or even just good?

Before, I thought that VIP Pricing in itself would be a straightforward and simple way to get value. But since invoice pricing can actually vary by state, the "invoice minus 2%" that goes with VIP Pricing is not as transparent and fair as I thought.

This feels like what retail discounters do at the outlets...mark-up the price to make the discount feel bigger than it actually is.
Non VIP Pricing varies depending on area. For instance, if you were in Vermont, I doubt you would get any deals. Same goes for Colorado.

VIP Pricing is relatively consistent per region.

As for the rest, I read every post in this forum, so, I get to see what the prevailing and ever changing prices are quite a bit (though lately I don't pay as much attention to those threads as I used to... I mostly peruse them to make sure things are staying on track).

In the case of @Liberty Subaru, I've sent hundreds of people to them in the past five years, and everyone has left there happy, and it's been very rare when they weren't the best price (in the two occasions that I remember, one person bought from them anyway, because of their stellar attitude, and the other felt sad that they didn't, for the same reason).

But, best way is to shop around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gotta tell you that that is shifty BS the price that Subaru or America publishes on their website should be consistent across the United States. PERIOD. Anything else is bait and switch.

If I was the OP i would be complaining to Subaru of America and Costco. I can guarantee you that Costco will not put up with their Brand being tarnished.

I bought my car from Liberty as well and never experienced any of this BS.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
fg', while the manufacturer can set "MSRP", they cannot tell distributors and dealers what to sell the vehicles for. That's why the second word in that acronym is "suggested".The "great northeast" is "owned" by a distributor that's independent from SoA and that distributor has the legal right to charge dealers what they want to for "invoice" (presumably so the distributor makes a profit). SoA sells the vehicles to the distributor and then the distributor sells them to the dealers in their contractual territory. There's some history about why this is setup this way, but someone more knowledgable would have to provide an explanation. It's not likely to change anytime soon, either.

I agree that this can be confusing and it can suck mightily that folks within that sales territory have to work under different "rules", but it is what it is. Fortunately, dealers like Liberty seem to be interested in massaging out as much of the pain as possible.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suggest shopping around. I submitted a TrueCar request and worked local dealers against each other via text & email. They should be motivated to sell with it being the end of the month & a holiday weekend. I’m picking up my 2019 Limited tomorrow... and got it well below invoice. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I suggest shopping around. I submitted a TrueCar request and worked local dealers against each other via text & email. They should be motivated to sell with it being the end of the month & a holiday weekend. I’m picking up my 2019 Limited tomorrow... and got it well below invoice. Happy Hunting!
I did the same thing. It was time consuming but ultimately worth it IMO. I drove an hour and half to pick up my 2020 Premium but it was exactly what I wanted at the best price that I could find. My local dealer was trying to charge me almost $2K more than I paid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.