Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I've noted multiple threads about water finding its way to somewhere it shouldn't be, but I haven't seen anything specific to my situation. A few months ago, I noticed that when I accelerated after a rain, water would stream down the inside of the rear hatch window. I took it into the service dept 12 days ago and was told the problem required body work involving welding over some gaps. Instead, the body shop found a dent underneath the top trim piece that they say explains the water ingress. ("Spoiler" oversells it, I know.) According to the service rep, Subaru counts this as damage and does not cover it under warranty. The dealer has stepped up and offered to cover the $200 charge to fix it. I should get it back later this week. (The dealer also gave me a Touring loaner, so no complaints.)

The mystery remains: how could something dent the metal without damaging the trim above? I don't recall anything hitting the area. Here are the pictures. The dent is hard to make out, but you can see where it is.

I'm more than a little dubious that this explanation is the most likely.

This is a March 2019 built Limited with moonroof.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Vehicle door Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't see how this got dented by your driving it--doesn't seem normal to me! Has the leaking been happening since you bought it?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see how this got dented by your driving it--doesn't seem normal to me! Has the leaking been happening since you bought it?
Thanks for the reply.
I agree- it's hard to imagine how this could happen when driving. Seems it would have to be either something falling on it (or equivalently me dropping something on it) or the top part of the door hitting something when it opened. I recall no such things. I haven't found a tree brach lying next to it or anything. And again- no visible damage to the trim over it.

What adds to the strangeness is that I did not see this until a few months ago in April. So I went about a year without it happening. I'm sure I'd have noticed it.

What changed in March and April was my behavior. Instead of being driven every day and parked in a garage at work all day, the car spent more time parked outside with more infrequent trips. I wonder whether the underlying problem was there all along, but the water had a pathway to escape. A pathway that could have become clogged from the accumulation of pollen and dust as it sat largely immobile over the spring.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
Where do you think water gets in? Is the spoiler supposed to seal that area where we see the pollen buildup, so water can't run down into those holes in the lift gate? I wonder what welding they're going to do -- close up some of those holes? I agree -- it'd be awfully hard to dent the lift gate there without leaving any witness marks on the spoiler.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think (emphasis on the think) the notion is that the dent allows water to flow into the hole when it otherwise wouldn't. They aren't planning any welding now. I think that idea had to do with something not in the picture.

I hope they are correct, and the problem is fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts