Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of white pearl limited 8 passenger with option #23. Hitch option was preordered with car but not installed at port and was told it didn’t pass inspection to be installed. Looking to have installed first week of August. So far no gremlins have surfaced. One thing we noticed though and curious if anyone seen this...front wheel wells behind tires look like they ran out of underbody spray halfway up from lowest point. My 2014 outback is coated and plastic lined for the entirety of the wheel well and I thought the ascent would be as thourough if not more for this. Looking into installing Xpel clear bra and a ceramic coating before we really start driving it. If anyone has any recommendations for ceramic coating pros and cons your input would be great!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just took delivery of white pearl limited 8 passenger with option #23. Hitch option was preordered with car but not installed at port and was told it didn’t pass inspection to be installed. Looking to have installed first week of August. So far no gremlins have surfaced. One thing we noticed though and curious if anyone seen this...front wheel wells behind tires look like they ran out of underbody spray halfway up from lowest point. My 2014 outback is coated and plastic lined for the entirety of the wheel well and I thought the ascent would be as thourough if not more for this. Looking into installing Xpel clear bra and a ceramic coating before we really start driving it. If anyone has any recommendations for ceramic coating pros and cons your input would be great!

@Nursepranker What do you mean when you say the car did not pass inspection? Are you also referring to the hitch itself ?

I have ordered the hitch on my Limited which will also be installed at the port. Curious to what happened.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So we were told that the Hitch install on the Ascent at the port was on delay because "the installs of hitches did not meet Subaru's rigid infection process". Could be a line of crap since I have been following every bit of info on the Ascent back when they started testing the camouflage mules over two years ago. The dealer said that our car left the factory but magically this week the hitches were approved to be installed. When I was talking with dealers back in the beginning of preorder some said the hitch was a port installed option and others said it was installed at dealership. I don't know who is right but either way it is getting installed soon. We have the wiring harness and the tongue in the storage space behind the third row.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So we were told that the Hitch install on the Ascent at the port was on delay because "the installs of hitches did not meet Subaru's rigid infection process". Could be a line of crap since I have been following every bit of info on the Ascent back when they started testing the camouflage mules over two years ago. The dealer said that our car left the factory but magically this week the hitches were approved to be installed. When I was talking with dealers back in the beginning of preorder some said the hitch was a port installed option and others said it was installed at dealership. I don't know who is right but either way it is getting installed soon. We have the wiring harness and the tongue in the storage space behind the third row.
Thanks for the update. I am in SNE territory so mine is supposedly being installed in Rhode Island before trucking to CT. Hoping it is there now and will arrive soon.

Hope everything goes well for both of us :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are scheduled for hitch install this Thursday with a loaner until installed. They are estimating a few hours. Any one out there that can compare their front wheel well undercoating for me? With pics? It looks like ours is missing the undercoating?! These are the front wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
We are scheduled for hitch install this Thursday with a loaner until installed. They are estimating a few hours. Any one out there that can compare their front wheel well undercoating for me? With pics? It looks like ours is missing the undercoating?! These are the front wheels.
Did it get damaged in transit or were repairs needed at the factory? Will probably never know I guess....Maybe they all look like this?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hutch can be installed at factory or by the dealer....Factory(port) install is considered less expensive ....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congrats, very pretty!

I'm going to venture a guess as that is how it's supposed to be. Ours is the same way :smile:

And since when did manufacturers start putting fuzzy panels on the bottom of the chassis and in the wheel wells?? That's going to catch sooooo much sand! And won't it get all soggy too?

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
This is pretty funny. Its a sound proofing and protection material sprayed on various areas. Its good stuff and yes its suppose to be there. Its not fuzzy material its like a rubbery foam material. All Auto makers use it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is pretty funny. Its a sound proofing and protection material sprayed on various areas. Its good stuff and yes its suppose to be there. Its not fuzzy material its like a rubbery foam material. All Auto makers use it.
No no, the fuzzy panels I'm talking about are directly under the chassis (on the sides of the belly of the car) and in the rear wheel wells. Go take a peek and feel it. It's like a fibrous, almost like a felt type panel/liner.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We dropped off our Ascent yesterday for hitch install at the dealer. We were told it should be ready by this afternoon. I will post pics of hitch once we get it back. We did get a fully loaded 2018 Outback as a loaner. This thing has every conceivable accessory on it and in it! LOL I'm thinking about trading in my 2014 Outback limited now but not sure what trade in would be on it being it has close to 93000 miles. Overall condition is excellent and I have done all my own maintanence since day one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on hitch...

So we drop the Ascent off at dealer for the hitch to be installed Wed evening. Got a great loaner. I call the next day at around 2pm thinking it should be installed by now. No update yet. I then get a call from the salesman we took delivery from telling me the hitch was already there. So am I wrong to think I should have found it behind the back plastic panel in the first week I had it? Hitch was listed on the monroney sticker and we even argued that it was listed as installed. Irritated that the salesman lied and made up excuses instead of asking someone how you access the hitch (two spring loaded fasteners under the bumper on the panel) So the hitch is literally behind the plastic bumper and I give great credit to Subaru for designing a panel to cover the hitch so it doesn't look like the sun's that have the big hunk of rusting metal you get to look at while driving behind them (I know that is petty but I am meticulous about my cars). I can go on and on about the communication failure by the dealer and yes I guess I am at fault for believing that it wasn't installed but the managers did go above and beyond to make things right (We were not out to make money off lack of communication). So at this point I don't know if the dealer installed hitches were on hold or not??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know exactly what you are talking about! The front wheel wells have the heavy duty undercoating that looks like it just stops short (not a good design if you live in the salt infested winters of the north) and the rear wells have that fabric wheel well shield. It would have made more sense to undercoat the rear wells too? Or there may be some kind of wiring or access behind the fabric panels. I already debated spraying those too but I need to remove them to see if they need to breath or if I would be trapping moisture behind them by coating them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No no, the fuzzy panels I'm talking about are directly under the chassis (on the sides of the belly of the car) and in the rear wheel wells. Go take a peek and feel it. It's like a fibrous, almost like a felt type panel/liner.
my 2016 Silverado 1500 has that on all the wheel wells. It helps with road noise! Has never got crud on there I couldn't hose or pressure wash off. And i park my Truck outside as it's too big to fit in the garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts