Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed the order for my Limited Ascent in early June with a delivery date of "Late July or beginning of August". As the date approached, I was given a VIN and told "August 6th". I cleared my work schedule to come in that afternoon to pick it up and on that day I was told the car isn't here but it is still showing for today. In speaking with the manager, he tells me that they show the car as shipped but unable to be more specific.

I'm sure other's are similarly frustrated with lack of information. It's odd to me that I can order a box of coffee from California and track it across country with a good sense of where it is and when it'll be here but a $40K car seems untraceable once it's left the factory. I wouldn't be so anxious about things were it not impacting vacation plans (drive from Maryland to Michigan). Anyone else dealing with this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
short answer yes

·
Registered
965 Posts
Anyone else dealing with this?
We're ALL dealing with this - both customers and dealers.

The problem is simple, from the shipping perspective. When you're ordering a box of coffee, they have software set up for the consumer to actually see where that is at any one time. When they ship the car via rail, they can still track it. But it's not set up from a consumer perspective, it's set up for the customer of the shipping company - specifically the factory and SOA/SDC/SNE. Even we as dealers have no clue other than the status we see.

And of course, when the car gets to the railhead, we still have to wait for their to be a truck to actually bring the thing to us. Our railhead, for example, serves all the dealerships in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico and Louisiana. And also serves four or five other brands, not just Subaru.

·
Registered
357 Posts

The problem is simple, from the shipping perspective. When you're ordering a box of coffee, they have software set up for the consumer to actually see where that is at any one time. When they ship the car via rail, they can still track it. But it's not set up from a consumer perspective, it's set up for the customer of the shipping company - specifically the factory and SOA/SDC/SNE. Even we as dealers have no clue other than the status we see.

And of course, when the car gets to the railhead, we still have to wait for their to be a truck to actually bring the thing to us. Our railhead, for example, serves all the dealerships in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico and Louisiana. And also serves four or five other brands, not just Subaru.
Good info Carl, do you know if the other dealer that are dealing with trucks have more specific info ??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep I made a thread called July pushed back crew. A whole group of us that ordered with a July delivery date and still waiting. I ordered in March.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I appreciate your insight Carl. Given the degree consternation that the lack of information causes new customers and that they tend to aim their dismay at the dealer you'd think that Subaru would want to modernize their information infrastructure. Dealers at a minimum ought to be able to have a better sense of where things stand. It makes the company seem incompetent when they can't be more precise with this sort of thing. Hopefully the car will be so fantastic when the car does finally come that this sour feeling toward Subaru will quickly go away.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I'd say if it's been shipped it should arrive sooner than later. I was told September, then July 27th, then August 8th, and it came on August 2nd. So...take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I placed the order for my Limited Ascent in early June with a delivery date of "Late July or beginning of August". As the date approached, I was given a VIN and told "August 6th". I cleared my work schedule to come in that afternoon to pick it up and on that day I was told the car isn't here but it is still showing for today. In speaking with the manager, he tells me that they show the car as shipped but unable to be more specific.

I'm sure other's are similarly frustrated with lack of information. It's odd to me that I can order a box of coffee from California and track it across country with a good sense of where it is and when it'll be here but a $40K car seems untraceable once it's left the factory. I wouldn't be so anxious about things were it not impacting vacation plans (drive from Maryland to Michigan). Anyone else dealing with this?
I would not schedule any more time off based on a ETA...
When the dealer calls you that the car is on his lot, then do that if possible....And yes I have been there....

·
Registered
33 Posts
My story is almost exactly the same as yours. Ordered June 5 and was initially told early August. I have a VIN, but now I'm being told my car won't reach port until 8/27 so it probably won't reach my dealer until the first week of September.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My case is same...I was told ETA was 08/07 and on the day of my ETA the status was still showing as 'Scheduled'. later that day it got changed to 'Released' and now I'm waiting for 'Shipped' and then it's going to be another few days.
I believe it will be on truck from Indiana to VA. Can someone confirm please?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered in June. My ETA was 8/6. Info showed the car was released 8/3. This week came and went with no vehicle. An hour ago I got a text from my salesman saying that the new ETA is 8/14 bearing no more delays and I wouldn't be able to get it until 8/16 due to PDI. Subaru really has no excuse considering SIA is only 4 hours away by car from me.

Extremely unimpressed with Subaru. If I were to give a delivery date to one of my customers and end up over a week late there would be ****(he11 is censored? really?) to pay. But since we want the car there really isn't anything we can do but take it up the caboose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ordered in June. My ETA was 8/6. Info showed the car was released 8/3. This week came and went with no vehicle. An hour ago I got a text from my salesman saying that the new ETA is 8/14 bearing no more delays and I wouldn't be able to get it until 8/16 due to PDI. Subaru really has no excuse considering SIA is only 4 hours away by car from me.

Extremely unimpressed with Subaru. If I were to give a delivery date to one of my customers and end up over a week late there would be **** to pay. But since we want the car there really isn't anything we can do but take it up the caboose.
It's a motor vehicle manufacturer, not Amazon. I'd rather they take their time with a new vehicle on a new assembly line and make sure there are no missing welds or bolts and everything meets their quality standards than rush them out and let the consumer deal with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's a motor vehicle manufacturer, not Amazon. I'd rather they take their time with a new vehicle on a new assembly line and make sure there are no missing welds or bolts and everything meets their quality standards than rush them out and let the consumer deal with it.
To be fair... other auto manufacturers (BMW for one) have a tracking system when you order a car. It's not super detailed, but does tell you what "big picture" step they're on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To be fair... other auto manufacturers (BMW for one) have a tracking system when you order a car. It's not super detailed, but does tell you what "big picture" step they're on.
Being able to track our orders would be very nice. That way you're aware if things are taking longer than expected. But I still wouldn't get bent out of shape if it does take longer... Especially with a new new vehicle on a new assembly line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For what it's worth, I did get a call from the salesman with a new ETA of 8/14. I understand delays and agree that I'd rather them get the kinks out than turn out a bunch of lemons. My gripe is with the inability to communicate accurately the status. I'd even rather be told that we have no way of knowing when your car will be ready than to be given dates that are incorrect. I'm certainly not confident that next Tuesday it will arrive. At this point it doesn't really matter so much anymore, as the plan was for me to leave today for approximately 2000K roadtrip over the next 10 days with my teardrop trailer. I'll be driving the old outback that was to be replaced by the Ascent as the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I appreciate your insight Carl. Given the degree consternation that the lack of information causes new customers and that they tend to aim their dismay at the dealer you'd think that Subaru would want to modernize their information infrastructure. Dealers at a minimum ought to be able to have a better sense of where things stand. It makes the company seem incompetent when they can't be more precise with this sort of thing. Hopefully the car will be so fantastic when the car does finally come that this sour feeling toward Subaru will quickly go away.

The problem is more about how the delivery date was presented by the dealership. The salesman should have told you something along the lines of "your ETA is August 6th but the there is still a good chance the car will arrive a few days earlier or few days later. I will keep you informed as the day gets closer."

But Subaru as a brand doesn't need to worry about improving their shipping info. Everyone here is kind of in a unique situation. I'd guess 95% of us placed an order for an Ascent. That number is closer to 2% with our regular line of cars. Most people buy one right off the lot or we do a simple dealer trade to get you what you want. The normal customer does not order a car and is in no way affected by the shipping process.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I used to do manufacturing QC for years. auto manufacturer or not, they should still be hitting deadlines. My issue is that Subaru isn't being transparent as to why there are all these delays. If they just said, hey, it's missing welds or the hitch has an issue, awesome. Me sitting here waiting for a vehicle that is way past due and my salesman telling me he has no idea why it's not here is bull.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I used to do manufacturing QC for years. auto manufacturer or not, they should still be hitting deadlines. My issue is that Subaru isn't being transparent as to why there are all these delays. If they just said, hey, it's missing welds or the hitch has an issue, awesome. Me sitting here waiting for a vehicle that is way past due and my salesman telling me he has no idea why it's not here is bull.
Subaru should probably pad all the ETA’s by at least a couple weeks....People will be happy if it shows up early or not mad if it shows up “on time”.......:nerd:

·
Registered
497 Posts
You'd be surprised lol I've had people upset by both early and late deliveries.
I was upset a bit by it coming in early. I was originally told mid-august (after my road trip) when I ordered back in March. When I ordered, I didn't do the hitch as I thought it was too expensive. I did an aftermarket on the Outback so I thought I could handle this one. Then, was told mid-july with no way of adding the hitch "from the factory". I needed the hitch to transport bikes on my road trip that I just got back from. So I had to pay a dealer install fee knowing that any aftermarket hitches would not be available.

Then, they told me it arrives 2 weeks early which I was not prepared for. Needed to move some $ around and that takes time and couldn't get it done in time for the transaction. So I had to finance the car for a week. It also limited what I could with my trade-in. I could have pushed the sale it out a week, and probably should have in retrospect, but I signed a deal that I thought was fair and am happy with the vehicle. In all, I probably dinged myself out of $400.

It did great on the road trip though, and lets me know what I need for the next trip.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts