Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is deer rut season out there and with the heavy population in PA/MD they are everywhere. Traveling at highway speed around 11PM when two dart across the highway, saw the first one and avoided her but the second one was too close. Both were adult females. Clipped the second one with the left front corner of the Ascent striking it in the left rear hind quarter spinning it into the drivers passenger door. Thankfully didn't hit the deer square head on or probably would have come over the hood. Managed not to run over it as well during the collision but still took a good hit as you can see. This strike was at full highway speed probably between 50-60 MPH. Maryland State Trooper responded quickly and had a sense of humor at least, " We don't have enough hunters obviously." All are safe and sheet metal can be repaired. Was surprised at the amount of damage when I was able to look into the "hole" this morning. It even broke the battery tray into several pieces, creased the left front quarter panel, perhaps bent the hood hinge and took at the enter left front head light assembly. To the body shop tomorrow for the estimate.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Well it is deer rut season out there and with the heavy population in PA/MD they are everywhere. Traveling at highway speed around 11PM when two dart across the highway, saw the first one and avoided her but the second one was too close. Both were adult females. Clipped the second one with the left front corner of the Ascent striking it in the left rear hind quarter spinning it into the drivers passenger door. Thankfully didn't hit the deer square head on or probably would have come over the hood. Managed not to run over it as well during the collision but still took a good hit as you can see. This strike was at full highway speed probably between 50-60 MPH. Maryland State Trooper responded quickly and had a sense of humor at least, " We don't have enough hunters obviously." All are safe and sheet metal can be repaired. Was surprised at the amount of damage when I was able to look into the "hole" this morning. It even broke the battery tray into several pieces, creased the left front quarter panel, perhaps bent the hood hinge and took at the enter left front head light assembly. To the body shop tomorrow for the estimate. View attachment 2079
A bit of heart pounding. Happy to hear passengers are healthy.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
'Glad you and any passengers were safe. Don't underestimate the damage that a couple hundred pounds of mass can do, especially at that speed! It's good you hit the deer at that oblique angle or the damage could have been a lot more or as you note, up and over, possibly involving the windshield.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I hit a deer when I was younger in a 76 Impala and it took far more damage to the car. Glad to see the damage stopped where it did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
estimate for repair just under $4K, $1700 in parts and the rest in body work (21 hours) and paint labor (13 hours) Labor rate $51 an hour ....Includes replacing the grill, headlight assembly, front bumper cover, left fender, body work on the left door and some misc other parts. All Subaru OEM parts since its less than two model years old.

·
Registered
219 Posts
'Glad you and any passengers were safe. Don't underestimate the damage that a couple hundred pounds of mass can do, especially at that speed! It's good you hit the deer at that oblique angle or the damage could have been a lot more or as you note, up and over, possibly involving the windshield.
Well, just got mine back from the body shop.
front bumper, grill, hood, right fender and head light, a couple of braces. Happened so fast, buck running in my left headlight and bam. Total damage in excess of $5,000. It was in the shop for 12 days. Geico insurance was great. Had a rental car waiting for me when I drove it in, yes it was still drive able an attest to Subaru. I got it back looking like new and detailed in the inside. I have hunted deer in Wisconsin all my life and never hit one. Now I'm retired and don't hunt anymore and I really did it. There was no way I could have avoided it. That buck was in my right headlight before I say it about 5 feet away and really movin. It happens. Good insurance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just got mine back from the body shop.
front bumper, grill, hood, right fender and head light, a couple of braces. Happened so fast, buck running in my left headlight and bam. Total damage in excess of $5,000. It was in the shop for 12 days. Geico insurance was great. Had a rental car waiting for me when I drove it in, yes it was still drive able an attest to Subaru. I got it back looking like new and detailed in the inside. I have hunted deer in Wisconsin all my life and never hit one. Now I'm retired and don't hunt anymore and I really did it. There was no way I could have avoided it. That buck was in my right headlight before I say it about 5 feet away and really movin. It happens. Good insurance.

all good to hear...I have USAA and they are wonderful in this regards, approved and paid the estimate same day it was sent in. Unfortunately gonna take a little more time to repair since this facility is the best in the area. 30 repair bays and two paint bays and still anticipating a month for the repairs.....but already have the rental SUV (Mit Outlander SE - not impressed and very much miss the Ascent!)

Stuff happens, this in my first deer strike ever in over 45 years of driving, just feel sorry for the critter....Grin....

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
...but already have the rental SUV (Mit Outlander SE - not impressed and very much miss the Ascent!)
I had that same rental once. Gross!

Will USAA pay for the rental for that long? There’s usually a cap on rental cost... but then again after what I’ve been quoted for USAA, they can afford to pay longer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had that same rental once. Gross!

Will USAA pay for the rental for that long? There’s usually a cap on rental cost... but then again after what I’ve been quoted for USAA, they can afford to pay longer
they covered the rental for the length of the repair which was almost three weeks...got the Ascent back 5 December good as new....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As mentioned got the Ascent back about a week ago....didn't realize how bad we missed it....Body shop did an excellent job especially in paint matching and the final fit and finish......she looks as good as when we drove it off the lot in January! Kudos to Weavers Body Shop in Hanover PA. USAA handled the claim flawlessly to include two updates after the shop tore down the car....total cost to include work I had done to repair a key scratch on the opposite side was $5400

1 - 13 of 13 Posts