Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
^ Not surprising at all...absolutely nothing new or startling, there.

That said, it's a well run qualitative comparison, with some very good visuals.

....but I wish the presenter would get over that "45-degrees F." misconception already. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nothing unexpected. I DO wonder of the mental capacity of anybody who goes to Montezuma CO during a snow storm to do a snow tire test wearing street shoes. I worked and lived in Summit County for three years. We called these people tourons.

·
Administrator
9,293 Posts
Many people drive in snow all the time. It's totally not unexpected for them to not understand that their snow driving is not the same as driving on packed-and-refrozen layer after layer of snow. Especially in areas where it's less treated. Looks the same, but isn't.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,862 Posts
Yesterday's mini-blizzard here brought out the, um..."best"...in many drivers. It took me 18 minutes to get to the eye doctor yesterday before the snow started. It took me almost and hour and fifteen minutes to get home because of multiple detours from folks slipping and sliding and crashing and blocking the various roads. And my tank was nearly on empty so I had to do an additional detour to grab some fuel from Wawa...all the paths to Costco were actually blocked. This all occurred in the span of about two hours. I grew up in NE PA and learned how to drive in winter weather early on, but so many folks around here forget that 4WD/AWD doesn't mean 4WD/AWD stop, etc.

Related to the topic of this thread, however...the BFG Adventure T/A Sports were VERY sure-footed on the snowy, slushy, slick roads. We normally don't get much snow around here anymore, so it was somewhat nice to be able to test their all-weather characteristics.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Many people drive in snow all the time. It's totally not unexpected for them to not understand that their snow driving is not the same as driving on packed-and-refrozen layer after layer of snow. Especially in areas where it's less treated. Looks the same, but isn't.
Very true.

Even outside of that specific context, it's well worth remembering that not all snow - or ice - is the same.

There's differences both subtle and less so, and this is the very reason why folks need to put more thought into their winter tire purchases than "just Blizzzaks." ;)

41 - 46 of 46 Posts