Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to take the plunge and get a new Ascent after pretty much test driving EVERYTHING else. No one car had it all, but the Ascent came the closest. Our only missing feature is front parking sonar sensors. Wife is short and that would help keep it (and the garage wall) dent free. Touring front camera was out, brown leather was a big turn-off to the “decider”

Long time reader of all the great info here. Kudos to all those that have posted very helpful discussions.

Now the hard part...finding what we want in a timely manner and for the right price. Again, lots of great information here for getting that done too!
Limited 7-passenger
Package 21 (no moonroof)
Crystal White Pearl
Ivory Interior

Hopefully as good of an experience from our 2000 Outback (well, except the coolant thing). Loved the way it drove. Had to trade up to minivan due to growing family.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Finally decided to take the plunge and get a new Ascent after pretty much test driving EVERYTHING else. No one car had it all, but the Ascent came the closest. Our only missing feature is front parking sonar sensors. Wife is short and that would help keep it (and the garage wall) dent free.
I had the same problem with my wife (big dent in the garage wall, car was only a minor scratch I covered with touch up pen. I installed this:
https://www.amazon.com/Garage-Laser...pointer&qid=1551584175&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1
I parked the car where I like it to be, pointed the dot to a specific place in the dashboard and told her I want this dot here every time. She never hit the wall again, ever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our new Ascent Limited is my second Subaru. I had a 1984 GL that I inherited as an office car when I bought out my partners. It was my ski car and my dinghy to get me around when bike commuting. I loved that car but donated it when I retired and moved to Washington State. After my wife and I were in a very serious auto accident last August (T-boned by an inattentive driver running a stop sign), safety was our first concern. All the safety surveys pointed to Subaru. We needed more than five seats for visiting friends and family. The Ascent was perfect.

Our 7 passenger MGM Limited showed up two weeks early and just in time for a crippling snow storm. We learned very quickly how great it does in deep snow. On our first outing in the snow, we had to navigate around several stuck vehicles. When a hill we had to climb was blocked by spun out cars, we had to detour up a steeper hill. X-Mode got us up and down the hill with no drama.

A few days ago we returned from our first road trip, a 1044 mile round trip to southern Oregon. We managed to use every great feature of the car. On the way down, we got stuck in traffic. The Nav told us to detour off the freeway which we did. We avoided a five hour freeway closure. We used Auto Vehicle Hold while stuck in backed up exiting traffic. Lead Vehicle Start Alert let me know when the car a head in the queue finally moved.

We did the 522 mile return trip in 9:20 including a lunch stop. No speeding, just very efficient use of Adaptive Cruise Control. I did all the driving and was not the least it tired after eight and a half hours of driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect timing! Was able to put down a deposit on CWP, package 21 at local dealership for very close to same price as as VIP 2% invoice discount with additional dealer installed hitch negotiated in. Car was on their “in transit” list and will be here within 2 days.

Now to order the parking laser to keep it nice! Thanks for the advice. My 2x4 blocks in the floor have not proven effective. Just wish it had Front automatic braking for parking.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had the same problem with my wife (big dent in the garage wall, car was only a minor scratch I covered with touch up pen. I installed this:
https://www.amazon.com/Garage-Laser...pointer&qid=1551584175&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1
I parked the car where I like it to be, pointed the dot to a specific place in the dashboard and told her I want this dot here every time. She never hit the wall again, ever.

Looks like a high tech replacement for the old tennis ball and string. With the touring you get the front camera which works in place of the front sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.