Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am super stoked about getting an ascent (limited with captains chairs, technology package, and hitch plus a couple of other small items) - looking to replace a 99 4Runner.

After a couple of weeks of negotiating over the phone and email with a dealer in Central Florida, we came to an agreeable price ($44.3 our the door, invoice plus taxes and fees). When I went in to finalize the paperwork and put down the deposit, I was presented with the MSRP price. When I pointed it out, I was told the manager made an unauthorized deal and they couldn’t honor the original deal. I spoke to the GM and he said the owner would rather keep it on the lot and try to sell it at a loss of what was previously negotiated. I asked to speak to the owner and haven’t heard back. I reached out to Subaru America’s and they said hey don’t get involved in a sales-related transaction and that I have to work it out with the dealer.

I have the details in an email and a photo of the offer, albeit lacking descriptive details on what was being offered, which was in the email trail.

What recourse, if any, do I have?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am super stoked about getting an ascent (limited with captains chairs, technology package, and hitch plus a couple of other small items) - looking to replace a 99 4Runner.

After a couple of weeks of negotiating over the phone and email with a dealer in Central Florida, we came to an agreeable price ($44.3 our the door, invoice plus taxes and fees). When I went in to finalize the paperwork and put down the deposit, I was presented with the MSRP price. When I pointed it out, I was told the manager made an unauthorized deal and they couldn’t honor the original deal. I spoke to the GM and he said the owner would rather keep it on the lot and try to sell it at a loss of what was previously negotiated. I asked to speak to the owner and haven’t heard back. I reached out to Subaru America’s and they said hey don’t get involved in a sales-related transaction and that I have to work it out with the dealer.

I have the details in an email and a photo of the offer, albeit lacking descriptive details on what was being offered, which was in the email trail.

There is nothing you can do other than write a bad review and go buy one elsewhere :(

I was afraid this was going to happen with a lot of the really low prices people were getting quoted. Unfortunately a lot of less reputable dealers will quote you one price to get you in the door and its something completely different when it comes time to actually buy it :(

·
Registered
292 Posts

Besides the email trail, did they take your deposit money? If so, this may be considered a good faith contract that gives you a fighting chance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skeeter - thanks, but CO is a bit far from Ocala, Fl.

Gobears157 - when I went in to put down the deposit they presented me with the revised offer and excuse. So, no breach. Other thank loss of trust and integrity.

Jason - will a bad review actually do anything? Unfortunately, this is the only dealer in the area and most others a distance away couldn’t touch the price. I guess I should have taken that as a sign...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Skeeter - thanks, but CO is a bit far from Ocala, Fl.

Gobears157 - when I went in to put down the deposit they presented me with the revised offer and excuse. So, no breach. Other thank loss of trust and integrity.

Jason - will a bad review actually do anything? Unfortunately, this is the only dealer in the area and most others a distance away couldn’t touch the price. I guess I should have taken that as a sign...
Hindsight is 20/20... but all dealers I've seen on this forum (including my own 3 pre-order experiences) took my deposit over the phone, and provided the details and VON via email. Make sure you do that with whatever dealer you work with going forward.

·
Registered
764 Posts

For your current situation, no. But it may help other buyers in the future.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
For your current situation, no. But it may help other buyers in the future.
I most certainly would post a review on yelp, google, wherever else you can find and tell them the dealer won't honor the deal you had agreed to. I guarantee they will feel the heat even if you never know about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this plattners? I have an email from them I've been holding onto saying they'll match "any dealer's" offer. They sent that AFTER I provided heuberger's quote. If so, then this is not a good sign.

Luckily, the 2019 pilot's release date was just announced and sounds promising. Always good to have options ?‍♂

·
Registered
34 Posts

Man... that so stinks. I’d be beyond livid. So sorry man

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Is this plattners? I have an email from them I've been holding onto saying they'll match "any dealer's" offer. They sent that AFTER I provided heuberger's quote. If so, then this is not a good sign.

Luckily, the 2019 pilot's release date was just announced and sounds promising. Always good to have options ?‍♂
Honda will not be backed up through November on 2019 Pilot deliveries. The Pilot release actually helps prospective Ascent buyers and gives them a little leverage.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Honda will not be backed up through November on 2019 Pilot deliveries. The Pilot release actually helps prospective Ascent buyers and gives them a little leverage.
Completely agree.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Are you a Costco member and are there any dealers in your general area that participate in their Costco Auto Program? My Ascent arrived three days ago; it was the first one to be delivered. Too many assumptions on both sides. I assumed that we would come to an agreed price just the same as when I bought a car there previously. They assumed that I would pay MSRP without question. They would not discuss cost until the VIN was issued. When it was, I presented them with a quote from Costco hoping that they would match it or at least half way between MSRP and invoice. They came down $1,000 and would not budge from that. Just another $500 and I would have written a check. I would have been the first one in town to drive one home. I like the people there and the service department is great, but how much is that goodwill worth? Your deal and mine sounds similar. My Ascent MSRP as ordered was $44,161 and Costco price was $39,707. I was shooting for the something in the middle. I left without my car at the first dealer and drove 45 minutes to another dealer and placed an order for the exact same car with the addition of an accessory. MSRP $44,362, my cost $39,822. I have a $500 Loyalty incentive as well. I intend to purchase a 7/70 extended coverage as I did for the two Subaru cars we own now; $300 less at the second dealer. Would I have paid MSRP if there were no alternative pricing? Definitely. The Costco price only became available after I placed the order. I look at it this way; they made a business decision to lose a customer to get full MSRP from the next. Nothing personal, it's just business. The only thing from them I expected is that they would be less evasive when I tried to get a handle on my cost. My advice is to just walk away and look elsewhere. Posting negative reviews only points out the obvious. But, then again, not all car dealerships are the same. My local dealer takes care of it's customers, but not at a discount. The dealer I ended up with will get you a better price and has pretty good stuff to munch on while you are waiting on your car. There is a dealer on the way between the two that I shopped at and they seem a bit crooked. Their so-called no hassle pricing involves loading up all their cars in inventory with aftermarket stuff and then applying a discount. You better be good with a calculator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Flarp. Unfortunately,I tried the Costco as well as USAA route and the results for both were that there were no dealers in the area with their respective pricing.

I have the stinking feeling about the reviews as well but want to make sure the buyer is aware. I will keep shopping around, just not sure if I will be better off with a pre-order or luck of the draw with something off the lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
...I was afraid this was going to happen...Unfortunately a lot of less reputable dealers will quote you one price to get you in the door and its something completely different when it comes time to actually buy it :(
But Jason, this is common in the car dealer space. It happens daily all over this country regardless of make or model. It's why Americans dislike buying cars.

Regardless, good pricing for Ascents IS being honored by certain dealers and folks are posting about it. Aren't you really afraid that THIS was going to happen?

·
Registered
764 Posts
But Jason, this is common in the car dealer space. It happens daily all over this country regardless of make or model. It's why Americans dislike buying cars.

Regardless, good pricing for Ascents IS being honored by certain dealers and folks are posting about it. Aren't you really afraid that THIS was going to happen?

I get the feeling you don't like dealership people in general :)

Every reply you've made towards me or Carl hasn't been nice. Maybe take a step back and get to know people before you jump on them. Carl and I have done nothing but try to help people on here. We're not here to persuade people to make bad choice or push them into anything. We both happen to work for some very good dealerships. My store was just named National Subaru Dealership of the Year as well as Most ethical business in the state of Utah. https://utahbusiness.com/ethical-leadership-awards-honors-ethical-organizations/ Not just dealerships, but any business.

There are a few of us good guys out there :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.