Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are picking up our new 2021 Limited Ascent on Friday from a dealer in the Minneapolis area. They had a couple of warranty options in addition to Subaru's warranty, wondering if they might be worth it.

$90 for a lifetime drivetrain warranty
$2,750 for a 15 year unlimited mileage comprehensive warranty. Mirrors Subaru's 3 year/36k coverage.
Their quote for a 10 year/100k Subaru warranty with $100 deductible was $2,765. Have to purchase on day 1, 30 day cancellation window.

For both warranties we would have to keep up with regular maintenance but could have work done at any ASE certified mechanic. Likewise, any warranty work could be done at any ASE certified mechanic.

I know that the general consensus is that the only warranty worth getting is a Subaru Gold Plus, but thought the 15 year coverage seemed like a possibly good option. Waiting for the fine print to be sent over so that we can review details, but any initial thoughts on this?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I would only stick with the Genuine Subaru Gold Plus option. You do not need to purchase it now, and can shop around.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
There is less than zero chance I would ever buy an extended service contract from anyone other than the vehicle manufacturer and the Subaru Gold Plus plan is excellent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is less than zero chance I would ever buy an extended service contract from anyone other than the vehicle manufacturer and the Subaru Gold Plus plan is excellent.
Haha, wow! Seems pretty clear, thanks Jim and Robert. I do feel like $90 for a lifetime powertrain warranty might be a worthwhile supplement to the Subaru Gold Plus plan, simply since the cost is minimal. I'll have to read the fine print.
Seems like $2765 for the 10 year Gold Plus plan might be on the high side, we'll do some shopping. The finance director tried to tell me that the price on those sometimes goes up if we wait a year or two to purchase, so I said I would call SOA to find out the details.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I do feel like $90 for a lifetime powertrain warranty might be a worthwhile supplement to the Subaru Gold Plus plan, simply since the cost is minimal. I'll have to read the fine print.
Ensure there's nothing forcing you to use them for service. Every instance of such a warranty that I have seen requires two things (or more):
  1. You MUST use the place you purchased it from
  2. You MUST adhere to their maintenance schedule (not Subaru's), which always has many thousands of dollars worth of additional services you don't need.

Beware either of those terms.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Seems like $2765 for the 10 year Gold Plus plan might be on the high side, we'll do some shopping. The finance director tried to tell me that the price on those sometimes goes up if we wait a year or two to purchase, so I said I would call SOA to find out the details.
Yes, that's at or near "list" price. Shop around in your market geography. You have until your OEM 3/36 warranty runs out to purchase the Gold extended service contract.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
The Subaru dealers around here all throw in a free, lifetime, unlimited mileage, third party power train warranty. They require complete adherence to the Subaru Maintenance schedule and there's a $100 per use deductible. Supposed to be good anywhere in US where that underwriter's warranty is accepted.

I haven't added the Subaru upgraded warranty yet since I have 3 years to decide. I've never used any warranty outside of the OEM included warranty and I keep my car a very long time. The car I traded for the Ascent was 21 years old and ran like new. My other car is 11 years old and likewise runs great. It would have been a waste of money to spend extra for warranties since the only repair outside of wear and tear either car has had was replacing the A/C evaporator this year. While that was expensive, over 11 years, the warranty would have had to cost less than $1800. Since most of the extended warranties are done at 10 years, I'd have still had to pay for the repair because I'd have been out of warranty.

Having said all that, I'll still consider getting the Subaru warranty mostly depending on the behavior of the technology. I monitor this site for how many issues owners are having and of course I'll factor in whether I experience issues with the tech before deciding.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
We are picking up our new 2021 Limited Ascent on Friday from a dealer in the Minneapolis area. They had a couple of warranty options in addition to Subaru's warranty, wondering if they might be worth it.

$2,750 for a 15 year unlimited mileage comprehensive warranty. Mirrors Subaru's 3 year/36k coverage.
Their quote for a 10 year/100k Subaru warranty with $100 deductible was $2,765. Have to purchase on day 1, 30 day cancellation window.

For both warranties we would have to keep up with regular maintenance but could have work done at any ASE certified mechanic. Likewise, any warranty work could be done at any ASE certified mechanic.

I know that the general consensus is that the only warranty worth getting is a Subaru Gold Plus, but thought the 15 year coverage seemed like a possibly good option. Waiting for the fine print to be sent over so that we can review details, but any initial thoughts on this?
no, no and NO. Only use original manufacturer warranty. Not only is fine print important but so is the individuals and company standing behind it. If you want to throw money away I can provide you my address.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, we skipped the dealer options. The dealer quote for a 10 year gold plus w/$100 deductible was $2500. Told him we would shop around and be in touch, he warned us that price goes up on the gild plus and that it might not be available if we wait too long, so we smiled and said thanks and we'll be in touch. I know we have 3yr/36k to buy, has anyone heard of the price changing as you wait? Seems odd since the warranty end date doesn't change.
Oh, and here's the new car!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thanks all, we skipped the dealer options. The dealer quote for a 10 year gold plus w/$100 deductible was $2500. Told him we would shop around and be in touch, he warned us that price goes up on the gild plus and that it might not be available if we wait too long, so we smiled and said thanks and we'll be in touch. I know we have 3yr/36k to buy, has anyone heard of the price changing as you wait? Seems odd since the warranty end date doesn't change.
Oh, and here's the new car!
View attachment 5530
gorgeous. Yes, like most everything prices increase. I just bought my gold plus for my 2019 Limited at about 30,000 miles and paid $1970 for ten year or 100,000 miles with a zero deductible. I received quotes for same coverage that were $1,000 more. Shop around and keep to your guns. I received over ten quotes for the same product until I was offered a price point I thought was reasonable.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes, in 2018 while I was waiting for mine to be built, the 6 year plan went up by $220. I think it was really an "Adjustment" - priced wrong after initially offering. No increases since then. My dealership wanted $1,500 more than what I paid. So, as others said - shop around.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
has anyone heard of the price changing as you wait
That's actually one thing that's technically true that the dealer stated...Subaru can certainly change the list prices of the plans and you would obviously pay a price based on whatever's current when you buy. But you do not have to make the decision "today" and can certainly shop around. It's very likely that you can find a Subaru dealer in your market geography can can do better than what you were quoted. BTW, there's normally little difference in the cost for the $100 deductible plan vs the $0 deductible plan with Subaru Gold, no no deductible is often the better choice for this particular extended service contract.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's actually one thing that's technically true that the dealer stated...Subaru can certainly change the list prices of the plans and you would obviously pay a price based on whatever's current when you buy. But you do not have to make the decision "today" and can certainly shop around. It's very likely that you can find a Subaru dealer in your market geography can can do better than what you were quoted. BTW, there's normally little difference in the cost for the $100 deductible plan vs the $0 deductible plan with Subaru Gold, no no deductible is often the better choice for this particular extended service contract.
Thanks Jim, this makes sense. The finance person seemed to be implying that the cost increase would be tied directly to the age of my vehicle, rather than based on market fluctuations or other factors. We're planning on shopping right away, so I'm not too worried.
I emailed SOA about this as well, they just replied and wrote that "You can purchase a Subaru Added Security Plan for your 2021 Ascent through any Subaru retailer in the continental US." Seems like the prevailing info on this site is that the dealer has to be in the same region as the car owner. Not sure if they've changed the rules again or if the SOA employee has made a mistake about this, but I will be expanding my search based on the recommendations of other forum users regardless of location.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Some auto manufacturers do have a small premium applied on their extended service plans if they are not purchased in the first 12K/12M time period. FCA's Mopar Maximum Care plans are that way. Subaru doesn't seem to that that policy, to the best of my knowledge.

It will be interesting to see if you can get quotes from Subaru dealers for the plan outside of your market area...please follow up here with that when you try.

Reactions: Goseto11

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thanks Jim, this makes sense. The finance person seemed to be implying that the cost increase would be tied directly to the age of my vehicle, rather than based on market fluctuations or other factors. We're planning on shopping right away, so I'm not too worried.
I emailed SOA about this as well, they just replied and wrote that "You can purchase a Subaru Added Security Plan for your 2021 Ascent through any Subaru retailer in the continental US." Seems like the prevailing info on this site is that the dealer has to be in the same region as the car owner. Not sure if they've changed the rules again or if the SOA employee has made a mistake about this, but I will be expanding my search based on the recommendations of other forum users regardless of location.
Soa is stating correctly that any dealer can sell the product. Soa was assuming you were purchasing from within region. No change in policy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a few hours after I posted that SOA told me I could buy anywhere in the lower 48, I got an email from the same customer rep saying he was mistaken, I could only buy in South Dakota and Wisconsin (I live in South Dakota). I wrote back that this seemed odd since Wisconsin is not an adjacent state and I bought the car in Minnesota. He then told me I could buy the warranty from the dealer in Minnesota or somewhere in my home state. I sent him a picture of the local dealer map based on my zip from Subaru.com and got another reply that I can buy from any of those dealers. Meanwhile I easily got a quote from Nebraska (not on the list) and another from the east coast, although that quote seemed to include a price adjustment based on my location. So who knows! I'll start by contacting the same dealers that gave me price quotes on the car itself and go from there. Seems like SOA reps aren't clear on what they should be telling customers, and that "can't" is a relative term when it comes to where I can buy.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So a few hours after I posted that SOA told me I could buy anywhere in the lower 48, I got an email from the same customer rep saying he was mistaken, I could only buy in South Dakota and Wisconsin (I live in South Dakota). I wrote back that this seemed odd since Wisconsin is not an adjacent state and I bought the car in Minnesota. He then told me I could buy the warranty from the dealer in Minnesota or somewhere in my home state. I sent him a picture of the local dealer map based on my zip from Subaru.com and got another reply that I can buy from any of those dealers. Meanwhile I easily got a quote from Nebraska (not on the list) and another from the east coast, although that quote seemed to include a price adjustment based on my location. So who knows! I'll start by contacting the same dealers that gave me price quotes on the car itself and go from there. Seems like SOA reps aren't clear on what they should be telling customers, and that "can't" is a relative term when it comes to where I can buy.
Keep getting quotes until you get one you are happy with. The entire deal can be done over the phone and/or internet. Make sure you get a copy of the signed contract.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Look up what Dave Ramsey says about extended warranty or service contracts. Nopety nope nope nope.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.