Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I live in VT. Rust proofing is a smart idea and I’ll do it one way or another.

Dealer wants to sell me a "one time 10 year application" of a lanolin based product which CAN be washed underneath afterwards. They’re calling it “protect all”. I'm fairly skeptical that a product that doesn't adhere to the car (like a Cosmoline black or something) could last this long.

The product I use on my wife’s new Ascent on my other car is called Corrosion Free and is $200 and go on every 18 mos. so overall cost is MORE than dealer but we probably won’t own the car 10 years. Figure 8 years * $200 and it's the same overall cost. That product is NOT supposed to be washed off. I.e. you aren’t supposed to wash underneath your car!!! It has the consistency of canola oil and is kind of annoying to work underneath the car with it on but I believe it probably works pretty well.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I also live in VT and over the decades I've tried many forms of rustproofing. In fact, I think I've tried them all. In my experience, the only product that really lasts and really works is cosmoline. This is the same product the military uses. If you can find a rust proofing service that uses this, it would be worth it, otherwise, other forms of rustproofing are less effective and don't last as long. Cosmoline is tough as nails and almost impossible to remove unless you use strong solvents. It will never wash off.

When I first received my Ascent I applied cosmoline to it myself. It wasn't difficult but it sure wasn't any fun either. It took about a couple of hours and about a dozen cans. But after 1 1/2 winters so far, it's holding up great.

If you want to apply it yourself, let me know and I'll tell you what you need and how to do it. If you don't, you can try to find someone who will.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
Some of my woodworking machinery arrived slathered in Cosmoline and I can attest that it's a pain in the backside to remove!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.