Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had the dealer install the Subaru hitch yesterday (7/11). My big worry with the Ascent was how much it would squat with the fully loaded bike rack hanging off the back. Hopefully the image shows....

A decade ago I bought this bike rack (Yakima HoldUp with +2 extension) and had it for my Nissan Titan. I bought a 2011 Outback 3.6R afterwards hoping to replace the gas guzzler. Well, when this rack was on the Outback even with little kids bikes, the RallyArmor mudflaps would drag at times. Here, 2 29ers and 2 27.5 are mounted and the Ascent does not squat into a level of concern. Granted the rest of the vehicle is not loaded but that loading does not concern me as much as the big cantilevered bike rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Also how do you like the HoldUp with +2 extension? I have 4 bike rack but it doesn't fold or swing out of the way so I have to take it off to get in the hatch.

When it drops down can you open the hatch to get in?
I like the convenience of a tray load. Back in the day, this was like the only thing which could handle bikes of all sizes, and frames of all shapes without adapters. However, being so old, the thing weighs 100lbs unloaded. I just checked yakima.com and their current non-evo holdups still weigh the same. So it can be a pain to get on and off the vehicle. The rack does fold down, but to be honest, I rarely use that feature with the bikes on it and didn't even think to test it. Coming from a pickup, the tailgate always folded down without issue. Next time I throw the rack on, I will test it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, I had the dealer install the Subaru hitch yesterday (7/11). My big worry with the Ascent was how much it would squat with the fully loaded bike rack hanging off the back. Hopefully the image shows....

A decade ago I bought this bike rack (Yakima HoldUp with +2 extension) and had it for my Nissan Titan. I bought a 2011 Outback 3.6R afterwards hoping to replace the gas guzzler. Well, when this rack was on the Outback even with little kids bikes, the RallyArmor mudflaps would drag at times. Here, 2 29ers and 2 27.5 are mounted and the Ascent does not squat into a level of concern. Granted the rest of the vehicle is not loaded but that loading does not concern me as much as the big cantilevered bike rack.
Nice...

·
Registered
17 Posts
that looks awesome!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love the height they sit at... lots of ground clearance and above most small cars keeping them a bit safer in the event of a rear collision.

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I love the height they sit at... lots of ground clearance and above most small cars keeping them a bit safer in the event of a rear collision.
And should prevent carbon wheels from melting from the exhausts :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts