Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it typical for a dealer to charge the deposit (in my case, $1800 for accessories on my Limited) but not put in the order? I walked into the store on Friday but three biz days later on Wednesday they still don’t have a VON for me. Instead, they gave me some rigamarole about how the car is being built in Japan and they can’t order it yet until it arrives on our shores.

When I ordered my 2015 Outback I got a VON when I left the dealership (different one, regret changing now).

I’m in Boston if that’s relevant.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
"Japan"?? I'm not sure when Indiana, where the Ascent is built, moved across the Pacific Ocean to Japan. That said, if you are in Boston, all the dealers source via a regional distribution organization, not Subaru of America, and the order process is different, AFAIK. No dealer should be asking for such a large deposit for a vehicle order, either. $500 or so is customary and that's typically refundable, too. Maybe you need to find a different dealer who isn't spewing, um..."stuff"...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Japan"?? I'm not sure when Indiana, where the Ascent is built, moved across the Pacific Ocean to Japan. That said, if you are in Boston, all the dealers source via a regional distribution organization, not Subaru of America, and the order process is different, AFAIK.
I thought that was odd too, but SOA also claimed that Ascents (including my 2020 Limited) are built in Japan. If true, I guess that's not a bad thing.

No dealer should be asking for such a large deposit for a vehicle order, either. $500 or so is customary and that's typically refundable, too. Maybe you need to find a different dealer who isn't spewing, um..."stuff"...
I think I have at least a case that if the dealer charged my card for the deposit WITHOUT ordering a vehicle, then I can have my credit card decline the charge.

Since my post I called SOA directly and they were really taken aback that my card was charged without putting an order in. They opened a resolution claim against the dealer which was investigated promptly.

I also called dealer directly and this time wasn't shunted through my salesman, which was a good first step.

General manager called me back and even left me his number. His explanation was that they did in fact put in the order to the regional distributor last Friday when I visited, which is why my card was charged. But the regional distributor who handles the orders fill them in 4-day allotments, which he said came up yesterday (Tue 8/13). After struggling with his system, he produced an 8-digit number which he wasn't sure whether it was the VON, or maybe even the last 8 digits of the VIN, or maybe something else. He also gave me his three-digit Subaru dealer number. His feeling was that it would be a few days more before that information was passed up to SOA.

Accordingly, I called SOA back and they verified the dealer number. While they were not able to see an order, they also said it was not uncommon for several days to pass before orders from my area made it to them.

So, all-in-all, I'll sit tight until maybe early next week to see whether everything is on the up-n-up. Good to know though that I was fleeced on the deposit, although this dealer is one of the two closest ones to Boston so I'm guessing we're all fleeced equally. Non-refundable deposit, btw. Maybe I should've driven out to Planet Subaru, lol ....

·
Registered
566 Posts
I thought that was odd too, but SOA also claimed that Ascents (including my 2020 Limited) are built in Japan. If true, I guess that's not a bad thing.

I think I have at least a case that if the dealer charged my card for the deposit WITHOUT ordering a vehicle, then I can have my credit card decline the charge.

Since my post I called SOA directly and they were really taken aback that my card was charged without putting an order in. They opened a resolution claim against the dealer which was investigated promptly.

I also called dealer directly and this time wasn't shunted through my salesman, which was a good first step.

General manager called me back and even left me his number. His explanation was that they did in fact put in the order to the regional distributor last Friday when I visited, which is why my card was charged. But the regional distributor who handles the orders fill them in 4-day allotments, which he said came up yesterday (Tue 8/13). After struggling with his system, he produced an 8-digit number which he wasn't sure whether it was the VON, or maybe even the last 8 digits of the VIN, or maybe something else. He also gave me his three-digit Subaru dealer number. His feeling was that it would be a few days more before that information was passed up to SOA.

Accordingly, I called SOA back and they verified the dealer number. While they were not able to see an order, they also said it was not uncommon for several days to pass before orders from my area made it to them.

So, all-in-all, I'll sit tight until maybe early next week to see whether everything is on the up-n-up. Good to know though that I was fleeced on the deposit, although this dealer is one of the two closest ones to Boston so I'm guessing we're all fleeced equally. Non-refundable deposit, btw. Maybe I should've driven out to Planet Subaru, lol ....
WTH????? Non-refundable deposit? You have not see, received or even accepted the vehicle!!!!!! That sure doesn't sound right. Call Planet Subaru and ask if deposits are refundable on orders placed. If they tell you something different, I'd sure "Cancel and Replace" - thru the credit card company.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
but SOA also claimed that Ascents (including my 2020 Limited) are built in Japan. If true, I guess that's not a bad thing.
ZERO Ascents are built in Japan. They are built in the same factory in Indiana as the Outback, Legacy, Imprezza and Crosstrek are built. AFAIK, Ascent is also only offered in the North American market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ZERO Ascents are built in Japan. They are built in the same factory in Indiana as the Outback, Legacy, Imprezza and Crosstrek are built. AFAIK, Ascent is also only offered in the North American market.
Well, so my dealer and at least one SOA rep gave me bad info. Disappointing.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Well, so my dealer and at least one SOA rep gave me bad info. Disappointing.
Saddened to hear that. Yes, the Ascent is built in Indiana, and I watched a few getting built or coming off the assembly line. It is exclusively built there.

Perhaps find a dealership who's more knowledgeable about the car and brand.

If you were in nothern New Jersey, I'd suggest @Liberty Subaru - tell them I sent you. They will take care of you, and they know where the Ascent is built. ;)

·
Registered
3,710 Posts

Did you verify with SOA directly in your phone call with them that the Ascents are being built in Japan?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Did you verify with SOA directly in your phone call with them that the Ascents are being built in Japan?
Wow, I missed that. They are definitely being built in the US, and I've watched a bunch being built and dyno tested in Indiana.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts