Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed on different threads but I can’t search and see an answer.

Can someone please explain how dealer allocations work? Does each model (outback, ascent, forested, etc.) get an allocation to a dealer Each month or is it just a set amount total across all models?

That being said, what determines a dealers allocations? Previous sales? Location?

We were the very first to order and my dealership only got 2 surprise premiums for demonstrations. They explained they had no allocations until September which is the month confirmed for our delivery. Why would they not get a July or Aug allocation?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That's a deep insider info. The car salesmen I dealt w/ for Ascent and a previous Subaru purchases stated that they have no control over the SIA god. Whatever they get is what they take. If you order from them, customize to whatever you want, that's subtracted from the September allocation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anyone??? Lol
They plan on building 60,000 Ascents in the Indian factory.

There are somewhere around 600 dealers so somewhere between 7-10 Ascents per month.

I don't know if each dealer gets the same allotment since I figure some are going to be higher volume dealers in more populated areas.

When I bought mine they had 4 for sale in July and 4 sitting in the back lot waiting for customer pickup and a premium sitting in the showroom.

A week later they had 1 sitting on the lot. I was there on Friday for something and they had a different colored one on the lot. The same premium is still in the showroom.

Obviously this is one dealership, but their stock seems very small.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Can someone please explain how dealer allocations work? Does each model (outback, ascent, forested, etc.) get an allocation to a dealer Each month or is it just a set amount total across all models?

That being said, what determines a dealers allocations? Previous sales? Location?

We were the very first to order and my dealership only got 2 surprise premiums for demonstrations. They explained they had no allocations until September which is the month confirmed for our delivery. Why would they not get a July or Aug allocation?
Dealer allocations are based upon previous sales along with anticipated growth.

Each model is separate, but the initial Ascent allocations were based upon Outback sales.

Presuming you're not in SNE / SDC territory ...

Your dealership had both July and August allocations, it's just they may not have been very large. And they were given at least one for demonstration purposes that they should have known was coming in. Then if they had a bunch MORE pre-sold, Subaru could have expanded their allocation.

For example, we were allocated 18 for July, with the ability to pre-sell 16 of them, then 14 for August (12 to pre-sell), and 12 for September (10 to pre-sell). We pre-sold all of July and August by the end of May and were selling September, so Subaru saw what we were doing and increased our allocation by 5 units, bumping some of my August units into July. And they increased our August allocation, so I have 16 for then (with 3 showing shipped now, as of today!).

It truly depends upon how big you are and how many you sell. We have a total inventory of around 250 new on the ground at any one time, the other store in town typically has around 175. Store in Fayetteville has around 350 on the ground, while the store in Armadillo (Amarillo) has 70. (And the biggest store in the country typically has just over 600 on the ground at any one time.)

·
Registered
583 Posts

Each model is separate, but the initial Ascent allocations were based upon Outback sales.

Your dealership had both July and August allocations, it's just they may not have been very large. And they were given at least one for demonstration purposes that they should have known was coming in. Then if they had a bunch MORE pre-sold, Subaru could have expanded their allocation.

For example, we were allocated 18 for July, with the ability to pre-sell 16 of them, then 14 for August (12 to pre-sell), and 12 for September (10 to pre-sell). We pre-sold all of July and August by the end of May and were selling September, so Subaru saw what we were doing and increased our allocation by 5 units, bumping some of my August units into July. And they increased our August allocation, so I have 16 for then (with 3 showing shipped now, as of today!).

It truly depends upon how big you are and how many you sell. We have a total inventory of around 250 new on the ground at any one time, the other store in town typically has around 175. Store in Fayetteville has around 350 on the ground, while the store in Armadillo (Amarillo) has 70. (And the biggest store in the country typically has just over 600 on the ground at any one time.)
Is there some way to find out what a dealers sales numbers are? I think I have seen Subaru’s monthly numbers published but never numbers by dealer.....
This question is a little off topic but...what is a “Stellar Performance”? Dealer and what is required for that.....Any suggestions for finding a good dealer besides YELP and word-of-mouth? I would prefer to buy my car from & have it serviced at the same dealer & establish a long term relationship if possible....To me ,the after sale service is more important than saving a couple $$ more on the price....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Awe, this makes more sense! I would assume the 2 my dealer got was there July and August allocations. They only have like 40 new Subaru’s on the lot. It’s a very small dealership. They are having an ascent demo day on saturday maybe they will presale some more and mine get bumped up! Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Is there some way to find out what a dealers sales numbers are? I think I have seen Subaru’s monthly numbers published but never numbers by dealer.....
This question is a little off topic but...what is a “Stellar Performance”? Dealer and what is required for that.....Any suggestions for finding a good dealer besides YELP and word-of-mouth? I would prefer to buy my car from & have it serviced at the same dealer & establish a long term relationship if possible....To me ,the after sale service is more important than saving a couple $$ more on the price....
For the general public, no. I have access to internal documents, but those are confidential, so I can't share them.

The Subaru Stellar Care Award is:
Only the most dedicated Subaru dealers earn the Subaru Stellar Care Award. It is one of the greatest honors in the eyes of our company and only an elite group of Subaru dealers achieve this recognition each year. Those who earn the coveted Stellar Care award demonstrate excellence in all areas of customer-focused performance.

What does this mean to you? The best dealership experience possible - one that we hope will have you coming back for many years ahead.

TO EARN THE SUBARU STELLAR CARE AWARD...

Our dealership must achieve and maintain Stellar Care performance standards and objectives. The list is long and the expectations are high. We must pass continual review by our customers and meet annual objectives established by Subaru of America, Inc. in many areas, including:

Facility
Our Sales and Service Departments must conform to Stellar Care standards for cleanliness and comfort inside and out. You're more than a customer. You're our guest.

Sales Operations
From meet and greet to test drive to delivery, our sales consultants must earn customer-generated performance scores that meet or exceed Stellar Care Award objectives.

Service Operations
Highly skilled, factory-trained technicians and a state-of-the-art facility with the most current diagnostic and repair equipment available help us maintain ongoing Stellar Care Award scores.

Training
Today's automotive technology is more complex than ever before. Our technicians must stay on top of the latest training and techniques in order for us to maintain Stellar Care status.

Finance Department
Our team of financing professionals specialize in assisting customers with their unique credit and insurance needs. Positive feedback from customers helps us maintain our Stellar Care status.
In 2017, about 380 out of the 630 dealerships won this award.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Old post but I don’t see this noted. Maybe it’s something newer. If they custom order for you a inventory vehicle it goes towards allocation. If they do a sold order for you it doesn’t count towards. They do this Incase a company wants to get 30 identical cars the dealer doesn’t get screwed.

And my local dealer for 19 was allowed 4 per month. So it ain’t evenly dispersed. I believe most of the inventory was 19 went up north as some dealers were getting 20-30 a month. They didn’t have numbers last time we talked but I believe for 20 they are allowed 7 per month or so they expect to be allowed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts