Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is at dealership in Houston but after weeks of speaking with salesperson about vip pricing no issues identified today was informed that general manager is saying they wont accept vip.
Not sure if I have any recourse or what I should do. Anyone have some advice? Seems so shady

·
Registered
87 Posts
Car is at dealership in Houston but after weeks of speaking with salesperson about vip pricing no issues identified today was informed that general manager is saying they wont accept vip.
Not sure if I have any recourse or what I should do. Anyone have some advice? Seems so shady
Did you pre-order the car and have a deposit? My understanding is VIP cannot be combined with any other Subaru incentives, but only with any considerations by the dealer. If that dealer does not participate in the VIP, that should have been clear from the start. You have several Subaru dealers in the metro area; did you check them out? I made the mistake of assuming that my local dealer would work with me in the same manner as when I purchased a 2014 Forester. They were somewhat evasive about pricing from the day the car was pre-ordered to the day it arrived. Five minutes after I walked away from my car it was sold to someone else. The same day I went to another dealer and ordered the same car. I got a substantially better price without the cat and mouse games.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you pre-order the car and have a deposit? My understanding is VIP cannot be combined with any other Subaru incentives, but only with any considerations by the dealer. If that dealer does not participate in the VIP, that should have been clear from the start. You have several Subaru dealers in the metro area; did you check them out? I made the mistake of assuming that my local dealer would work with me in the same manner as when I purchased a 2014 Forester. They were somewhat evasive about pricing from the day the car was pre-ordered to the day it arrived. Five minutes after I walked away from my car it was sold to someone else. The same day I went to another dealer and ordered the same car. I got a substantially better price without the cat and mouse games.
I did pre-order back in May delivery quoted for August. Just spoke with salesman I had been dealing with and he told me he knew TWO weeks ago. Im madder that he knew and didnt tell me till car is here. His comment was he knew I was on vacation so he waited. Talk about dumb excuses. Emails still works and cell phones too while on vacation.
This isnt the car I had preordered but was
one that someone else had preordered and walked away from he reached out to me to see if I would be interested with no mention that VIP wasnt an option. He even told me what VIP pricng would be be . Ive left my original preorder in place for August while I consider my options. i hate feeling this way. Have always had good feelings about Subaru but not today.

I asked him to have General Manager call me on Monday not to try and convince him to accept but to let him know how this felt!

If anyone in Houston is interested Gillman North Subaru has a White touring model on the lot available.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I did pre-order back in May delivery quoted for August. Just spoke with salesman I had been dealing with and he told me he knew TWO weeks ago. Im madder that he knew and didnt tell me till car is here. His comment was he knew I was on vacation so he waited. Talk about dumb excuses. Emails still works and cell phones too while on vacation.
This isnt the car I had preordered but was
one that someone else had preordered and walked away from he reached out to me to see if I would be interested with no mention that VIP wasnt an option. He even told me what VIP pricng would be be . Ive left my original preorder in place for August while I consider my options. i hate feeling this way. Have always had good feelings about Subaru but not today.

I asked him to have General Manager call me on Monday not to try and convince him to accept but to let him know how this felt!

If anyone in Houston is interested Gillman North Subaru has a White touring model on the lot available.
Simple fix take all your business someplace else. And make sure you let others know that dealer has a difficult time honoring agreed upon prices.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you get confirmation of VIP acceptance at the time of pre-order for the August unit, or mention it to the salesman after? Is Patrick your salesman? Too bad about that white touring, I would have bought it if I didn't pick up my limited on Monday! It will go quick!

The closest dealer to Houston that says they'll accept VIP is Ms. Pat Smith at JK Subaru in Nederland. They only have demo Ascents, so it would have to be an order.

·
Registered
78 Posts

You are in a metro area with several dealers so take your business elsewhere. Maybe even a better lead for you, get in email touch with Heuberger in Co. Springs. You seem to have one foot in Co. already so you know Subarus are thick on the ground there. They have a good rep on the subaruoutback.org boards for knowing how to work out good sales by email. A search there could prove interesting to you.

The only negative is you may have some "penalty" because you are outside a 200 mile subaru zone. Subaru wants you to patronize dealers within that zone for new car purchases and if you don't, there is a penalty to pay, but you will still come out ahead in all likelihood and not get jerked around as much. Run the numbers--put pencil to paper to find out. They are a big volume dealer and it looks like they don't have a problem getting cars to sell. Worth checking out. No I don't work for them but I may use them in the future, based on what I've read on the boards, even if they're some distance away.

Don't worry about warranty repairs any authorized dealer will do them. If you want an extended warranty, check these boards or the OB boards for finding a lower price by buying over the phone from an auth. dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Get your deposit refunded, leave some bad reviews on Yelp, Google, etc, then place your order with a dealer that will honor the pricing you want.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree. Get your deposit back and leave. Find another dealer who is willing to work with you. Might take a bunch of phone calls but in the end it will be worth it. Crap even placing a new order and getting back in the queue would be more worth it IMHO, provided you’re not in a rush to get / need a car right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer didn't want to say yes or no on if VIP pricing would be accepted. I also called every Subaru around me inquiring if they would accept it, they all said no. When the ascent finally came in I told them if VIP pricing doesn't happen I would take my deposit back and buy a different brand as I have been shopping around. Salesmen went to ask gm and came back with a yes we do accept it. (Side note on my companies VIP pricing webpage it says only the STI and BRS Ts is not accepted.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dealer to avoid....

Get your deposit refunded, leave some bad reviews on Yelp, Google, etc, then place your order with a dealer that will honor the pricing you want.
I preordered in February but recently became eligible for VIP pricing...My saleperson and the sales manager said bring in the authorization page and I would get that pricing when I picked up the car....They have both been let go, no longer there and the new Sales Manager says they will not honor the VIP pricing until the Ascent has been out 90 days...What? And to make it interesting my car came in today....:tango_face_surprise
So pay MSRP or no car.....$41457 vs $37869 + tax & lic. ??
Another local dealer will honor VIP but it will be 8 weeks for another car.....? September sounds good....I did not like this dealerships lack of communication with me previously so this will only add to my epic bad review ....:devil:
McKenna Subaru in Huntington Beach , California........Buckle up!:angel:

·
Registered
27 Posts
let me know if they end up accepting VIP because they told me flat out no. Gilman Subaru North.
I feel confident that Gillman North won't be accepting VIP on the Ascent anytime soon. They may accept it on select other models, but not currently the Ascent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finger's Crossed

My dealer didn't want to say yes or no on if VIP pricing would be accepted. I also called every Subaru around me inquiring if they would accept it, they all said no. When the ascent finally came in I told them if VIP pricing doesn't happen I would take my deposit back and buy a different brand as I have been shopping around. Salesmen went to ask gm and came back with a yes we do accept it. (Side note on my companies VIP pricing webpage it says only the STI and BRS Ts is not accepted.)

Follow Up to my VIP issue. I called another dealer in Houston and told them my tale of woe, GM there agreed to let me have VIP pricing but I would have to reorder. I called to change VIP paperwork to second dealership (I wasn't able to get over to dealership right away and held on to original order while I was trying to figure out what to do). Within a few days I heard back from Original Dealership that they would honor VIP pricing. My original order is due sometime in August and I'm hoping that I don't get the rug pulled out from under me again. Fingers Crossed in Houston.
to be continued...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts