Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, hope all of you are doing great. I am new to the community as a contributor. Been a spectator so far reading views and reviews. This has been an extremely helpful place over the past few months in helping me decide to go for a Subaru Ascent as a car of choice for my growing family.
We had put in an order for a 2020 Ascent Touring mid June 2019. We received our car on Friday evening (9/6 near Boston, MA) and took it out for a first proper drive on Saturday morning...and the car DIED 20 mins into our ride. Below are the set of events starting Friday evening:
  • Picked up the car around 4:30 PM. Drove 5 miles to home and noticed looseness in the brakes and faint grinding noise when braking softly. I was concerned for a bit but thought that it might go away after some use
  • Took the car to a grocery store (3 miles away) same evening and noticed the break noise again and this time could hear crackling noise coming from the engine when the car was idling. Concerned, but ignored it thinking that new engine is just breaking in
  • Next morning we were headed to a farm in northern Massachusetts. We were hardly 12 miles from the house and the car died completely with less than 30 total miles on it. Below is what happened in chronological order:

• Within the first 10 miles of driving the Battery Light came on on the dash. I called the dealership right away to inform my agent. I was told that someone from Service department will reach out to me asap
  • My wife was driving the car and our kid was in the back. I was on the passenger side front seat. I noticed the Light and informed my wife. She started to slow down and started to look for a place to stop. We couldn't make an immediate stop as we were on a busy highway
  • Within the next 4 mins all systems started shutting down, starting with the Eyesight Disabled message, then the lane assist followed by rear traffic alert and others. Ultimately followed by smoke coming out of the car with a burning smell (similar to a wire burning)
  • We stopped the car right away and took our kid out. Called the dealership again. They asked us to call Subaru Starlink as I had bought the 7 year subscription. While I was talking to them, the Dash and Center Entertainment Console went off and the car became completely unresponsive
  • They didn't even have my VIN # in the system as the car was so new and my subscription had not even updated in their system. They decided to help if I was willing to pay out of my pocket and apply for reimbursement later
  • The wait time with them was 90 mins. The cops didn't want the car to sit on a busy road for that long, so they ordered a Tow truck that took me to the dealership for $230
  • The tow truck had a bad time putting the car on as the rear wheels were locked. So he had to drag the car on to the truck. It was disheartening to see a new car dragged that way
I came to the dealership. They were able to start the car with a battery jump starter, unlock the wheels and roll the car down from the truck. They then brought it into the shop. This was their first line of thought...According to them the belt connected to the battery charging port might have come off or snapped, which led to battery not charging and the snapped belt could have hit another pipe carrying the coolant, which when spilled on the engine made the smoke. I am not buying into it for several reasons. Once being that the burning coolant doesn't smell like burning wires and the smoke would be coming from the front not from the sides. The car has been with the dealership for a day now and I am expecting a final/sane verdict by tomorrow evening. I will update as I know.

This is the worst experience one could imagine with such an expensive vehicle and a brand known for its dependability. I am going to explore mu options with the dealership and contact SOA tomorrow to see what else can be done. I don't think I will ever have full confidence in this vehicle going forward.

Any recommendations what I should be doing and what options should I explore? I almost want to cancel my order and get the refund, but I don't think it will be that straight forward. Sorry for such a lengthy post and thanks in advance for your time and suggestions. Have a good rest of the weekend.

Best Regards,
Val

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello All, hope all of you are doing great. I am new to the community as a contributor. Been a spectator so far reading views and reviews. This has been an extremely helpful place over the past few months in helping me decide to go for a Subaru Ascent as a car of choice for my growing family.
We had put in an order for a 2020 Ascent Touring mid June 2019. We received our car on Friday evening (9/6 near Boston, MA) and took it out for a first proper drive on Saturday morning...and the car DIED 20 mins into our ride. Below are the set of events starting Friday evening:
  • Picked up the car around 4:30 PM. Drove 5 miles to home and noticed looseness in the brakes and faint grinding noise when braking softly. I was concerned for a bit but thought that it might go away after some use
  • Took the car to a grocery store (3 miles away) same evening and noticed the break noise again and this time could hear crackling noise coming from the engine when the car was idling. Concerned, but ignored it thinking that new engine is just breaking in
  • Next morning we were headed to a farm in northern Massachusetts. We were hardly 12 miles from the house and the car died completely with less than 30 total miles on it. Below is what happened in chronological order:

• Within the first 10 miles of driving the Battery Light came on on the dash. I called the dealership right away to inform my agent. I was told that someone from Service department will reach out to me asap
  • My wife was driving the car and our kid was in the back. I was on the passenger side front seat. I noticed the Light and informed my wife. She started to slow down and started to look for a place to stop. We couldn't make an immediate stop as we were on a busy highway
  • Within the next 4 mins all systems started shutting down, starting with the Eyesight Disabled message, then the lane assist followed by rear traffic alert and others. Ultimately followed by smoke coming out of the car with a burning smell (similar to a wire burning)
  • We stopped the car right away and took our kid out. Called the dealership again. They asked us to call Subaru Starlink as I had bought the 7 year subscription. While I was talking to them, the Dash and Center Entertainment Console went off and the car became completely unresponsive
  • They didn't even have my VIN # in the system as the car was so new and my subscription had not even updated in their system. They decided to help if I was willing to pay out of my pocket and apply for reimbursement later
  • The wait time with them was 90 mins. The cops didn't want the car to sit on a busy road for that long, so they ordered a Tow truck that took me to the dealership for $230
  • The tow truck had a bad time putting the car on as the rear wheels were locked. So he had to drag the car on to the truck. It was disheartening to see a new car dragged that way
I came to the dealership. They were able to start the car with a battery jump starter, unlock the wheels and roll the car down from the truck. They then brought it into the shop. This was their first line of thought...According to them the belt connected to the battery charging port might have come off or snapped, which led to battery not charging and the snapped belt could have hit another pipe carrying the coolant, which when spilled on the engine made the smoke. I am not buying into it for several reasons. Once being that the burning coolant doesn't smell like burning wires and the smoke would be coming from the front not from the sides. The car has been with the dealership for a day now and I am expecting a final/sane verdict by tomorrow evening. I will update as I know.

This is the worst experience one could imagine with such an expensive vehicle and a brand known for its dependability. I am going to explore mu options with the dealership and contact SOA tomorrow to see what else can be done. I don't think I will ever have full confidence in this vehicle going forward.

Any recommendations what I should be doing and what options should I explore? I almost want to cancel my order and get the refund, but I don't think it will be that straight forward. Sorry for such a lengthy post and thanks in advance for your time and suggestions. Have a good rest of the weekend.

Best Regards,
Val
Wow, that is a terrible experience to have with a new vehicle. Just as my confidence was growing about buying my first Subaru I read this. I’ve been in this forum to help me make a final decision between a Subaru (Ascent or Outback) and the new 2020 Highlander. I’m trying hard to keep in mind that posts on a forum like this reflect a small number of owners and that posts will tend to skew towards problems rather than happy testimonies given human nature. And we have apparently had trolls on the forum (I am NOT suggesting you are a troll. :) But, it is hard to ignore stories like this one and prior posts about gas smells in cabins, transmission issues, etc.

Very sorry to hear of your experience. I hope it ends up being a minor issue that is resolved quickly.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have no doubt that SOA will take care of you, both in terms of an immediate vehicle to use, expense reimbursement and repairs. Glad learn no accident or injuries. Keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Yes, sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites you. Subaru will take care of you. This is not a normal or usual situation...but sometimes there is an immediate failure like that on a vehicle. It's not about the brand or the model or anything like that. Stuff happens and at least it wasn't while you were on a long trip and far from home.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

Best Regards,
Val
You are correct: "I almost want to cancel my order and get the refund, but I don't think it will be that straight forward." You would not be able to return the vehicle since you signed the contract and took possession. The remedies are spelled out in the contract and warranty. You will be made whole by SOA. No worries, hang in there.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Hi, so, they're saying that the alternator belt snapped and tore a coolant hose?

I suspect Subaru will take care of you.

Your state does indeed have a return policy, but I do not believe it applies to this type of situation.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Would you like me to delete your second account?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The tow truck had a bad time putting the car on as the rear wheels were locked. So he had to drag the car on to the truck. It was disheartening to see a new car dragged that way
It's always on AWD. The front wheels must be spinning for the rear wheels to spin.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
All such vehicles are mass assembled and a very few will have issues being first put into service. Your dealer should have driven the car first to shake down any such issues. My car had about 35 miles on it when purchased. My dealer told me that they always drive each new vehicle they get for at least 25 miles and then carefully inspect it before handing it over to the new owner to help eliminate such issues.

I can understand that this was a bad start for your new car, but such things do happen to any make/model vehicle. Give them a chance to make it right and then start again. You'll love your new Ascent once you get past this.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wow, that is a terrible experience to have with a new vehicle. Just as my confidence was growing about buying my first Subaru I read this. I’ve been in this forum to help me make a final decision between a Subaru (Ascent or Outback) and the new 2020 Highlander. I’m trying hard to keep in mind that posts on a forum like this reflect a small number of owners and that posts will tend to skew towards problems rather than happy testimonies given human nature. And we have apparently had trolls on the forum (I am NOT suggesting you are a troll. :) But, it is hard to ignore stories like this one and prior posts about gas smells in cabins, transmission issues, etc.

Very sorry to hear of your experience. I hope it ends up being a minor issue that is resolved quickly.
Based upon all of your posts, you seem like a very intelligent and reasonable person to me, so I don't understand why this and other such things you read about in this forum would cause you to lose confidence in the Ascent. You said yourself that these are isolated incidents, and you're correct. The same such things will happen to the Highlander. Having owned many Toyotas I can tell you they are not perfect. They are excellent cars, but I've always liked the Subarus I've owned much better.

To date, in over four decades of owning many, many vehicles, the Ascent is the best and most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. It's the only car I owned where every time I drive it, I marvel at how great it is, and I've been driving it for nearly a year now. It's not perfect either, no vehicle is, but it's awesome overall. I'd hate to see you pass on it based upon a few people experiencing issues which will occur with any vehicle.

Make your choice between the Ascent and the Highlander based upon solid facts about which vehicle is best for you, not based upon these isolated incidents which are highly unlikely to affect you. Subarus are well built and have an excellent reliability record and a very loyal and satisfied ownership. That's a solid fact.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Wow, that is a terrible experience to have with a new vehicle. Just as my confidence was growing about buying my first Subaru I read this
Huh? Sounds like an alternator belt snapped. That happens every now and then.

The server room I help maintain has 12 tons of dedicated AC units that run 24/7. A big V belt runs the blower in each one. We buy a couple dozen of the belts at a time and change them once a month. In the last few years of the exact same belts being used, we've had two snap in weeks. It happens.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Based upon all of your posts, you seem like a very intelligent and reasonable person to me, so I don't understand why this and other such things you read about in this forum would cause you to lose confidence in the Ascent. You said yourself that these are isolated incidents, and you're correct. The same such things will happen to the Highlander. Having owned many Toyotas I can tell you they are not perfect. They are excellent cars, but I've always liked the Subarus I've owned much better.

To date, in over four decades of owning many, many vehicles, the Ascent is the best and most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. It's the only car I owned where every time I drive it, I marvel at how great it is, and I've been driving it for nearly a year now. It's not perfect either, no vehicle is, but it's awesome overall. I'd hate to see you pass on it based upon a few people experiencing issues which will occur with any vehicle.

Make your choice between the Ascent and the Highlander based upon solid facts about which vehicle is best for you, not based upon these isolated incidents which are highly unlikely to affect you. Subarus are well built and have an excellent reliability record and a very loyal and satisfied ownership. That's a solid fact.
Thanks for the kind words. I also appreciate the positive statements about the Ascent. It is still definitely at the top of my list along with the Outback and Highlander. I think what I will do in a few months is hang out in the service lobby of one of the local Subaru dealers and ask Ascent owners about their experience. That may give me a bit more information—not scientific of course—but perhaps helpful. Thanks again, I appreciate the kind words.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Huh? Sounds like an alternator belt snapped. That happens every now and then.

The server room I help maintain has 12 tons of dedicated AC units that run 24/7. A big V belt runs the blower in each one. We buy a couple dozen of the belts at a time and change them once a month. In the last few years of the exact same belts being used, we've had two snap in weeks. It happens.
You may be right, it may sound a lot worse than it is. The irony is that I had just copied a wonderfully positive post about the Subaru brand in the Outback forum and was going to send it to you as a DM (not sure how to do that) and/or post it. Just as I had copied it and moved to this forum, I saw the “Dead on Arrival” post. :)

Not withstanding that post, I am actually feeling more inclined toward Subaru—in part due to your helpful and I must say very PATIENT posts in response to mine and others. I think my concern is not about Subaru per se, I think it is the Ascent in particular. I don’t have any particular concerns about the Outback or the Forester.

At any rate, thank you for indulging me and being patient. You are an excellent ambassador for Subaru. Once I decide to buy, if the Subaru dealer will throw in a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty that would alleviate a lot of my concern. Unlike you, I have no mechanical abilities. For me, reliability is a major factor in a large purchase. :) Let me put it this way, my wife hires contractors to repair what I “fix.” :)

I have an odd question and I suspect the answer is no. But, given my hesitancy, do you think SOA would speak to a potential customer about his concerns? Having a first hand conversation with SOA would feel more credible to me than a dealership—with all due respect to car dealers—they don’t have a sterling reputation for integrity. :)

Thanks again Robert, I appreciate your words and help.

PS If I do buy a Subaru and have a good experience, I will probably be one of their best evangelists given the effort I have put into this decision!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Unlike you, I have no mechanical abilities. For me, reliability is a major factor in a large purchase.
First, thanks for the kind words. I try. Glad I am doing ok.

As for my mechanical abilities, sadly, I lost or sold or gave away virtually all of my tools years ago. Renting an apartment with no garage at a place where I cannot work on a car meant I had no need anymore. So, all my work is done by the dealership, or one trusted aftermarket shop.

So, believe me, reliability is a MASSIVE factor for me as well. Especially since my real jobs (my day jobs that I actually get paid for) are about 65 hours a week - or more some weeks. And then there's the trips. I will break 40,000 miles soon. I don't have time for anything more than regular maintenance.

That aside, I've been very straightforward about what else my car has needed to have done to it.
  • Rear door latch issue on Touring causing it to take 2 pulls to open from the outside. Probably the first reported case of it from what I can discern (on pick-up day when the wonderful team at @Liberty Subaru went through EVERY button, latch, knob and setting on the car). Subaru had the part redesigned and created a TSB for replacement of the part for all affected vehicles.

• Radio presets issue on the original firmware. MPH->KPH switch on the driver pod for Nav units, even when MPH selected. I provided Ascent Techline various videos, and a write up on the profile confusion causing the presets issues, and we saw two fixes (one in the December 2018 firmware, one in the Feb 2019 firmware) to fix the issues.

• Brakes vibrating as if warped. They ground the rotors and lubed the pads per the related TSB.
Other than those, no issues whatsoever. I've looked for or tried to recreate some, such as the gas-in-oil issue, but even with beating on my car, my oil level is always perfect.

Anyways...
Anyway, the point is, don't forget to read the positive experiences here in this forum as well.

Short version...

You won't find many people in a forum screaming about how great their cars are. So, you need to find that by finding posts that indicate it - like the posts in the towing forum, where, they describe their adventures of beating on their cars by towing really heavy things (often/sometimes weighing more than an Outback), where nothing bad happened. That's a testament to reliability.

People scream when something bad happens. It's understandable. People often post when good things happen - but not about "my car didn't break again!!!", instead they post about "just got back from this tremendous adventure. It was so much fun doing or seeing ___".

Long version...
Don't forget to read the positive experiences here in this forum as well (suggestions in the "BUT" section below).

Then, factor in the way Subaru acts when they identify a problem... (for instance, remember how quickly Subaru has been to redesign anything that was being troublesome, while another competitor went 6 months of not doing anything on a major safety component (seat belts)).

I would think including mine. Some worry that being an Ambassador means I have a bias. Truth is, while I may have a bias, it's because of the cars and how the company treated me before I volunteered to be one - any bias I have isn't because I am an Ambassador, but perhaps caused me to volunteer to become one. Interesting irony, now that I am an Ambassador, (as if I wouldn't anyway), I have to be honest and factual with all of you in all of my interactions. And, since I am rather prolific, I am very very sure my posts are read "on high". I only learned that a couple months ago. Doesn't mean I am not wrong from time to time, or that I don't have opinions on things that are matters of opinion though. But I hope people can differentiate between the two and help me learn more on the occasions that I am wrong.

If that's not enough to make my experiences worthwhile to weigh in, remember, I live my trust in the Ascent. It's been on countless adventures, and I document those adventures in photos and videos for the world to see. I don't just say how much I trust the design - I live it on numerous adventures.

BUT...
Just as there are one-offs on the other end of the spectrum (such as the recent alternator belt failure), it's conceivable there's one offs in my direction, where no amount of abuse makes the car fail.

So, read the other posts. There's a TON in the towing section, for instance. If there are a bunch of people who put their Ascents under as much abuse as me, it's those folks who regularly tow (I only tow "part time"). Follow those who switched to all-terrains to go off roading like me. The posts on those topics alone would be enough to make me feel confident in the design.

·
Registered
130 Posts
First, thanks for the kind words. I try. Glad I am doing ok.

As for my mechanical abilities, sadly, I lost or sold or gave away virtually all of my tools years ago. Renting an apartment with no garage at a place where I cannot work on a car meant I had no need anymore. So, all my work is done by the dealership, or one trusted aftermarket shop.

So, believe me, reliability is a MASSIVE factor for me as well. Especially since my real jobs (my day jobs that I actually get paid for) are about 65 hours a week - or more some weeks. And then there's the trips. I will break 40,000 miles soon. I don't have time for anything more than regular maintenance.

That aside, I've been very straightforward about what else my car has needed to have done to it.
  • Rear door latch issue on Touring causing it to take 2 pulls to open from the outside. Probably the first reported case of it from what I can discern (on pick-up day when the wonderful team at @Liberty Subaru went through EVERY button, latch, knob and setting on the car). Subaru had the part redesigned and created a TSB for replacement of the part for all affected vehicles.

• Radio presets issue on the original firmware. MPH->KPH switch on the driver pod for Nav units, even when MPH selected. I provided Ascent Techline various videos, and a write up on the profile confusion causing the presets issues, and we saw two fixes (one in the December 2018 firmware, one in the Feb 2019 firmware) to fix the issues.

• Brakes vibrating as if warped. They ground the rotors and lubed the pads per the related TSB.
Other than those, no issues whatsoever. I've looked for or tried to recreate some, such as the gas-in-oil issue, but even with beating on my car, my oil level is always perfect.

Anyways...
Anyway, the point is, don't forget to read the positive experiences here in this forum as well.

Short version...

You won't find many people in a forum screaming about how great their cars are. So, you need to find that by finding posts that indicate it - like the posts in the towing forum, where, they describe their adventures of beating on their cars by towing really heavy things (often/sometimes weighing more than an Outback), where nothing bad happened. That's a testament to reliability.

People scream when something bad happens. It's understandable. People often post when good things happen - but not about "my car didn't break again!!!", instead they post about "just got back from this tremendous adventure. It was so much fun doing or seeing ___".

Long version...
Don't forget to read the positive experiences here in this forum as well (suggestions in the "BUT" section below).

Then, factor in the way Subaru acts when they identify a problem... (for instance, remember how quickly Subaru has been to redesign anything that was being troublesome, while another competitor went 6 months of not doing anything on a major safety component (seat belts)).

I would think including mine. Some worry that being an Ambassador means I have a bias. Truth is, while I may have a bias, it's because of the cars and how the company treated me before I volunteered to be one - any bias I have isn't because I am an Ambassador, but perhaps caused me to volunteer to become one. Interesting irony, now that I am an Ambassador, (as if I wouldn't anyway), I have to be honest and factual with all of you in all of my interactions. And, since I am rather prolific, I am very very sure my posts are read "on high". I only learned that a couple months ago. Doesn't mean I am not wrong from time to time, or that I don't have opinions on things that are matters of opinion though. But I hope people can differentiate between the two and help me learn more on the occasions that I am wrong.

If that's not enough to make my experiences worthwhile to weigh in, remember, I live my trust in the Ascent. It's been on countless adventures, and I document those adventures in photos and videos for the world to see. I don't just say how much I trust the design - I live it on numerous adventures.

BUT...
Just as there are one-offs on the other end of the spectrum (such as the recent alternator belt failure), it's conceivable there's one offs in my direction, where no amount of abuse makes the car fail.

So, read the other posts. There's a TON in the towing section, for instance. If there are a bunch of people who put their Ascents under as much abuse as me, it's those folks who regularly tow (I only tow "part time"). Follow those who switched to all-terrains to go off roading like me. The posts on those topics alone would be enough to make me feel confident in the design.
Thanks Robert. I’m grabbing a quick bite to eat, which is why I’ve had a few minutes to post. :)

Your statement “Then, factor in the way Subaru acts when they identify a problem” is exactly along the lines of the positive post I was going to send you from the Outback forum. Someone was raving about how Subaru takes care of the customer if something is not right or goes wrong. This in and of itself is tremendously encouraging and helpful and is inclining me to the Subaru brand.

Do I think your biased? Of course! :) But I’ve presumed you’re biased because of exactly what you said—your genuinely positive experiences with the Subaru brand. That is what makes you a great ambassador—your endorsement is genuine and born from personal experience. It is similar to my enthusiasm for Apple products. Having been in two executive briefings at Apple’s HQ’s and having switched from Windows PCs to Apple, I’ve never looked back due to the elegance, reliability, and security of Apple products. I suspect that your experience with Subaru has been similar. :)

Let me know if you think SOA would ever consider speaking to a potential customer. I know it is unlikely but it cost nothing to ask. :)

Thanks again Robert.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Let me know if you think SOA would ever consider speaking to a potential customer. I know it is unlikely but it cost nothing to ask.
Of course they would. Email them. Or call.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts