Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. We left our Ascent in the airport garage for a week with a dome light on and drained it flat -- no lights, nothing. Got a jump, got home and put it on a charger. It's been on the charger all day and seems kinda stuck at about 75% charged.

My question...think that was enough to damage a cell in the OEM battery? I've searched the forum for "battery" posts but nobody's had this particular question.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes, completely draining a battery can cause damage. Judging from the comments on this forum it appears that many of the OEM batteries are weak to begin with. Call SOA and see if they will reimburse you for a new and better quality battery.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, completely draining a battery can cause damage. Judging from the comments on this forum it appears that many of the OEM batteries are weak to begin with. Call SOA and see if they will reimburse you for a new and better quality battery.
More likely, I would expect them to give the old "Bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out" advice and possibly a replacement OEM battery before any such approval for purchase of a better non-OEM battery.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
More likely, I would expect them to give the old "Bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out" advice and possibly a replacement OEM battery before any such approval for purchase of a better non-OEM battery.
Personally my battery has served me well so far so I do not have first hand experience. If you read though the many threads on battery replacement, that does not seem to be the case for most folks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally my battery has served me well so far so I do not have first hand experience. If you read though the many threads on battery replacement, that does not seem to be the case for most folks.
Yeah, that's been our experience - 40,000 miles and almost two years and this has been the first battery problem. And we definitely caused it ourselves.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My battery died last week and they were totally understanding (as I had brought it right in last time I had to jump it), and replaced my battery with a 550 CCA battery (VS the factory battery that is 350 CCA.) I have a bit of confidence with it now running around with the new battery, but I still ordered one of the many rechargeable auto battery jumpers they have on Amazon to make sure I don't get stranded or have to wait on a tow truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts