Subaru Ascent Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank goodness for this forum. Thank you for all the posts here. I learned a lot. I am an old lady just wanting to have a reliable car and and this is what happened to me. Car died twice - during a pandemic when I only go out once a week for groceries.(car not a year old even). I read up on the forum and now know what to ask the Subaru service people. Run the test, TSB 07-155-19R, check PRG change the part, update the software, change the battery and do not accept the OEM, get the Odyssey (and I thought Odyssey was a van, as it turns out it is the battery). I will be armed with all the information I gathered here when I go to the dealer on Monday! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is SOA? Subaru or America? What was your battery of choice? I am in Ontario. I am taking it to the dealer for service on Monday. I was able to boost it so it works again. I have told service dept of my issues. Now the tailgate wouldn't open. What is wrong with the Ascent? People rave about how reliable, good resale value of Subaru..what happened?!
Yes, Subaru of America, but in your case I would suggest you contacting Subaru of Canada. I suspect you have the equivalent oversight there as we do in the US.

Many Ascent owners replaced their OEM battery with an Odyssey. I have no idea of their distribution or availability in Canada.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With my 2021 Ascent - replaced battery with Odyssey 1400T from Autozone and SOA covered it 100% (battery, tax, shipping). I also keep our key fobs in Christmas cookie tin to avoid thieves boosting the signal and relay it to the car.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone here from Ontario Canada that got their battery replaced? I sent car for service today and they changed the battery, but still subaru. They said they fixed the tailgate issue. I shall see. if it happens again I will demand for the odyssey battery. how long is the warranty on this for? one year?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Anyone here from Ontario Canada that got their battery replaced? I sent car for service today and they changed the battery, but still subaru. They said they fixed the tailgate issue. I shall see. if it happens again I will demand for the odyssey battery. how long is the warranty on this for? one year?
I believe it's a 3 year warranty on the Subie batteries. The Odyssey is 4 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question for all of you who have replaced the battery in the Ascents. Does this fix all the battery issues, is the problem really only the battery? Not some internal part draining the battery? Or maybe an electrical problem?

I'm looking at buying a 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring and my family is a one-car family so reliability is very important. I went to test drive one at the dealer and it was dead (only three miles on it and they had to jump start it just to get it down to me, I turned it off and it wouldn't even start back up haha).

Any of your experiences with a new battery would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll try to add my $0.02 and be very clear:

1. There are a number of issues related to the battery that are swirling around:

a. The battery itself: Subaru utilizes a ~330 cca (cold crank amp) battery which is clearly underserving the utility of the Ascent which has high power Harman Kardon audio, an infotainment system, numerous still incandescent lamps inside the vehicle, as well as all the USB charging ports and 12V outlets depending on trim. It has become clear to this reader (me, pronouns: he/his/him) that a battery with ~550 cca would be better.

b. The rear lift gate PRG (controller for electricity) that created a TSB 07-155-19R (which then superseded TSB TSB 07-143-18R) as it affected only model years 2019 and 2020 (some of 2020; fix was put into manufacturing mid production cycle). Effectively the electronics control for the lift gate kept drawing amperage from the battery if left open. This is elsewhere termed parasitic draw or dark draw. The TSB has the dealer replace the electronics controller with one that after 20 minutes drops the draw to ~.4A from ~4A. To be sure, 2021 model year Ascents already have this updated controller.

2. The recommendation is to purchase a new Odyssey battery (if you can still find the 35-1400T AGM battery that is perfect match (needs to be Group 35 size) and has 800+ cca. These retail for ~$300 USD. This reader bought online from Autozone and had a local mechanic do the swap. Subaru of America has been very happy to refund us all for the cost of the new battery by the way. My refund came within 2 weeks of buying the battery, btw. Here is a link: 35-PC1400 | ODYSSEY® Battery

3. For your situation, I'd double down on a replacement battery since the one at the dealer needed a jump, and with the old battery (oem) issue #1 rears up when the cars sit in the Winter without being driven. You could also, because of the experience with that, lean heavy on reduced Gold Plus Warranty (https://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/owners/added-security/sas_brochure.pdf and I got a 10 year, 100k miles with $100.00 deductible by calling around and getting mine below $1700 so your underwhelming experience with the dealer might help greatly there). You could also ask for a couple years of maintenance on the house given the vehicle wouldn't even start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, thanks so much for the information.

So after replacing the battery you've had no other issues with the Ascent?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've only had one issue and that seems to be not truly battery or even purely a Subaru one:

1. Keep your key fobs in a signal free container like small faraday cage or for me: cookie tin
2. There are criminals going around in pairs (one goes to front of your home with signal booster; other goes to where vehicle is parked and receives boosted signal and unlocks your car or opens the back liftgate.

San Antonio news carried this and I've seen it in San Fran and even here in NJ:

Otherwise our Ascent is tip-top. Recently we put in the wireless charging unit and it is flawless. We also got a oil cap that is Subaru dark blue with white 0W-20 on it so whomever replaces the oil cannot possibly mess up.

Oh, I'm reminded to inform you that if you take possession of your vehicle you get 2 key fobs and one has a small metal plate with 5 numbers. That is the pin to sync any key fob to your car and if you lose it, it's hundreds of dollars should you need to pair a new fob (if you accidentally lose, wash, or otherwise har the fob for example).

And lastly you are likely to have paper plates put on the car while the state DMV works on title and registration. Mine in NJ just came in which prompted my trip to the dealer. It took almost 3 months but that is just states being backed up and DMVs being slow and has nothing to do with Subaru per se.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Wow, thanks so much for the information.

So after replacing the battery you've had no other issues with the Ascent?
I'd guess it's highly unlikely Subaru will approve a battery replacement for a working battery, and, even more unlikely if you replace the battery and then tell them you expect them to pay for it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd guess it's highly unlikely Subaru will approve a battery replacement for a working battery, and, even more unlikely if you replace the battery and then tell them you expect them to pay for it.
Robert, my 2021 Ascent had a working battery; nevertheless, I bought the Odyssey, got it and SOA sent me a check.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
People have been having mixed results with that. It's a chance I wouldn't take.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you both for the information and tips. I really like the Ascent, but when it didn't start at the dealer I kinda freaked out hah (thinking electrical problems/cars a lemon...).

·
Registered
183 Posts
People have been having mixed results with that. It's a chance I wouldn't take.
Not to quibble but given his situation of getting a dead battery when he went there, SOA should be called to see if given that, they can reimburse for a new battery. I'm betting for this scenario, it's a yes.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
I just don't want others to be disappointed, if they try to replace a working battery.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Something I do find interesting is that the pandemic has caused the recurrence of drive in theaters. Even here, in Metro NY area, there's been pop-up theaters showing up. Definitely changes some of the use-cases for today's cars.

I used to watch movies here, all the time...

Closed in 1990. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh yes. The early 2020MY is most definitely affected and dealers should be handing out the TSB like candy (even if they're not.)

RE: 0.8 and 3-day vs 5-day and YMMV -- agreed! Batteries are funky.

However, it should also be noted that a drop to 11.8 is unkind to even an AGM battery (because of the DoD) and will decrease cycle lifetimes more than drops to 12.6 -- so it isn't just 0.8 that folks should care about. 11.8 is NO GOOD - regardless of the # days it takes to get there.

I am moderately pleased with these locked door results. Confession: I say moderately because I was kinda getting ready to fight for a lemon law buy back, and I still have mixed feelings about keeping this vehicle. The hypervigilance that has been required has left a bad taste in my mouth. But again... I guess I should pay the price for not doing enough research first, eh? If nothing else, at some point, I will feel less guilty about trading it in for a different vehicle because it will be "behaving as designed" 😅😂

I do wish you the best of luck with your 2021. Honestly.
(But... Are you sure you don't want a hybrid xc90? Because that's what I'm 🤤 over now. 😜 (My friend (who is part of the Subaru class action) now has one and he LOVES it.))
this is an older post but I figured I’d ask. Do we know if there is anyway to cross check your build date and know if it has the updated Gate controller from the factory?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe it's tagged to your VIN.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts