Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited
25 Posts
Bad news from the Facebook dead battery forum.

There are two separate reports of the power lift gate controller TSB failing to reduce the draw after 20 minutes on 2019MY with build dates of 07/18 and 9/18.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Ascent (2018MY) battery died on Friday, Oct9. Completely flat. Zero volt. The car was in front of my house, everything closed and locked. This is already fifth time since April.
Interestingly, first 18 months this was not an issue.
I managed to jump-start with my "Imazing" jump starter, but it took 5-6 attempts. I completely killed it.

Couple days ago I wrote email to [email protected] with all my complaints - and still got no answers.

Anyone got any responses from subaru customer care re battery?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
^^^ were any of the dome lights accidentally left on? That happened to me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Bad news from the Facebook dead battery forum...There are two separate reports of the power lift gate controller TSB failing to reduce the draw after 20 minutes on 2019MY with build dates of 07/18 and 9/18.
I just re-verified the drain on my Mar 2019 build Premium post TSB and it started at 2.2A and was down to a few tens of mA after 20 minutes. That's with all doors closed and TG open, all lights out and fobs far away. I used two different clamp-on ammeters being careful with zeroing and orientation.

I should try a few more permutations, like bring a fob close, open and close a door, turn some interior lights on, etc...and see what effects those have.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yeah. That's what I saw when I did a test that was from fully charged. Still trying to wrap my head around the 85% to 65% drop - my best guess is that my battery charger is simply using the OC voltage to estimate the percentage, and for whatever battery-curve-chemistry reason, it decided it was a 20% drop that time.

Today I did a much more systematic test from full.
Voltage at full was 12.84V (Charger read "maint / full")
I wanted to test the doors vs the lift gate timeout. (To confirm the doors have the same (or better) 20 minute timeout.)
Draw was 3.0 amps for the entire time. (Puddle light in door, 4 dome lights in the back, front two dome lights off, rear hatch lighting off)
After 20 minutes the draw dropped.
Voltage then read 12.72V
I then hooked up my charger and it listed it at 92%
So * shrug * -- Not quite 20% -- but also not quite 3%
Batteries are weird.
When a significant load is placed on a car battery, you will read a voltage drop during the load and after it's removed. The battery voltage may often seem to have dropped precipitously. However, give the battery a few minutes to recover from a short-term load, and the voltage level will usually bounce right back. So, you're right, batteries are weird. lol

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The rear passenger ones can be turned on permanently by pushing on them. They'll then stay on. I accidentally bumped one loading some stuff and pfffft, dead battery two days later.

·
Administrator
9,232 Posts
Bad news from the Facebook dead battery forum.

There are two separate reports of the power lift gate controller TSB failing to reduce the draw after 20 minutes on 2019MY with build dates of 07/18 and 9/18.
One of those people didn't test, the other concerns me. I asked that person to confirm with the dealership that they completed the 20 minute power consumption test. Never heard back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of those people didn't test, the other concerns me. I asked that person to confirm with the dealership that they completed the 20 minute power consumption test. Never heard back.
Yeah. We should probably ping "Penny Lane" again.

Updates from my end... Today I called SOA and got the go-ahead for a better battery. This is after getting the TSB done, and confirming the 20 minute timeout multiple times BUT ALSO now seeing the battery drop to 12.3V after 3-4 days while camping. This is with super-paranoid speed-unpacking - solo (no kids) and LED dome lights. Something is still AMISS. Hoping the battery upgrade helps, but starting to feel like there might still be enough of a longer term parasitic draw to justify either a battery disconnect or priority start for when I go boondocking. (FWIW, the battery/vehicle did this twice, both times I used a battery charger and the power post at the site to rescue it before it got too low to start.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quite a few members here upgraded their battery after it going dead more than a few times. This appears to have stopped the battery going dead overnight due to an open tailgate. When the battery dies you can call SOA and they will reimburse you for the cost of a better quality battery. The dealerships seem to be using the same battery as was supplied and they keep failing. Not sure if this is still ongoing but this is the story in a nutshell. I would assume eventually the dealers would supply better quality batteries.
What battery did you end up going with? I'm having the same issue with my '19. Damn thing has 6900 miles on it and has "stranded me" twice in my driveway. Looking for new batteries atm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What battery did you end up going with? I'm having the same issue with my '19. Damn thing has 6900 miles on it and has "stranded me" twice in my driveway. Looking for new batteries atm.
Autozone claimed that their vendor was completely out of stock of the Odyssey 35-PC1400.

Maybe try Speedway Motors? Odyssey Batteries 35-PC1400T Extreme Series Battery, 850 CCA

I think I snagged (hopefully) the last one that Walmart had in stock just now. You could also sign up for in-stock alerts on this page: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Odyssey-...m-msg-id=c0dea0c0-5651-4429-af02-d43412c785f1

FWIW, the one I'm (hopefully) getting from Walmart is actually sold via Speedway via a marketplace seller arrangement. Thus, it got "free" shipping, but I then had to pay tax. Speedway charged shipping and the return policy on Walmart's website (even for marketplace sellers) seemed more straightforward.

Why does this matter, you ask, since SOA is footing $350 for me? Because - they will NOT pay for tools to install it. (i.e. The memory keeper.) Parts? Sure. Labor? Yep. Tools? NOPE. (They blamed WRX owners for some loophole in the past that ended up removing tools from their reimbursement policy.) Thus, I am going to go to a local independent shop to have it installed - and that seems to run around $60 bucks around here. So I think I'm going to get a full $350 and pay a little extra, but at least I (hopefully) will get a battery that can handle the drains. (Also, fun fact - they confirmed that dealers cannot install non-OEM batteries. SO WEIRD.)

Anywho - hope those links help - and if you care - I'll let you guys know if the Odyssey arrives in early November as promised.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 2020.

So my dealer is changing my power rear gate control module as per this
service bulletin. Tech says this WILL fix problem with the battery drain from the computer believing the gate is closed when it’s not.

he also said some people have extra issues when they have big rubber mats as gate doesn’t fully close even though there’s no light saying it’s not closed.

we will see... View attachment 4044
Noting that now, the same bulletin extends MY (model year) Ascent to 2020 since the "fix" was put in at some point during the MY20 build. Hoping my soon to arrive 2021 Ascent Touring already has the upgraded part.

Ref: Power Rear Gate (PRG) Control Module- Design Change – 2019 Subaru Forester & Ascent | Subaru

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just get the Odyssey battery and install it yourself. It takes 10 minutes if you're taking your time. If you're camping with the vehicle, I'd install a battery disconnect. That should be super easy to do while you're installing the new battery.

Yeah. We should probably ping "Penny Lane" again.

Updates from my end... Today I called SOA and got the go-ahead for a better battery. This is after getting the TSB done, and confirming the 20 minute timeout multiple times BUT ALSO now seeing the battery drop to 12.3V after 3-4 days while camping. This is with super-paranoid speed-unpacking - solo (no kids) and LED dome lights. Something is still AMISS. Hoping the battery upgrade helps, but starting to feel like there might still be enough of a longer term parasitic draw to justify either a battery disconnect or priority start for when I go boondocking. (FWIW, the battery/vehicle did this twice, both times I used a battery charger and the power post at the site to rescue it before it got too low to start.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Today's update: Got a call back from SOA - and I have this to add to the pile of "don't do that"

Apparently - you cannot leave the car unlocked.

"Goodbye" on the screen is not enough.
The car continues to run checks if the car is unlocked.

Adding this here and in the FB dead battery group because I had not seen it mentioned before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This just happened to me today. A few days ago i noticed the hatch was open and I was able to close it normally. Not sure how long it was open but didn't think much of it. I haven't driven it in a few days and when i try to start it today the battery is dead. All the lights start to flicker and engine won't turn over. A few minutes later there is this constant beeping from the trunk area - 2 sets of 3 beeps constantly, very loud. Neighbor came over and told me something was wrong with the car. I think it stopped now but no way to turn it off - very loud and embarrassing like the car is going to blow up and wants everyone to know but it's not like the car's going anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have owned a 2011, 2015 and now the 2019 Subaru. Never has an OEM Subaru battery lasted more then 2 years. Complete junk. 2019 dead after 20 months. There should be a class action suit filed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Today's update: Got a call back from SOA - and I have this to add to the pile of "don't do that"
Apparently - you cannot leave the car unlocked.
"Goodbye" on the screen is not enough.
The car continues to run checks if the car is unlocked.
Adding this here and in the FB dead battery group because I had not seen it mentioned before.
What does "you cannot leave the car unlocked" mean ? I was gone for 3 weeks, and all was fine when I returned. I have the keyless entry system and push button start. fob was nowhere near the car, about 200' away in the house.
I did have the rear hatch computer replaced via TSB and about a week later, found the hatch was open in the morning. Overnight, it opened itself. Cargo light would not come on - I thought "great, dead battery". Car actually started properly, I guess the new computer module will also control the cargo lamp.
I have noticed the hatch operation has changed in subtle ways, won't open if in any gear, less sensitive to motor kicking in for manual closing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What does "you cannot leave the car unlocked" mean ? I was gone for 3 weeks, and all was fine when I returned. I have the keyless entry system and push button start. fob was nowhere near the car, about 200' away in the house.
I did have the rear hatch computer replaced via TSB and about a week later, found the hatch was open in the morning. Overnight, it opened itself. Cargo light would not come on - I thought "great, dead battery". Car actually started properly, I guess the new computer module will also control the cargo lamp.
I have noticed the hatch operation has changed in subtle ways, won't open if in any gear, less sensitive to motor kicking in for manual closing.
Interesting to know about the hatch operation differences! I had not noticed!
My cargo lamp has a switch on it, and I have it off just to limit any additional draws.

I have the keyless entry system as well. I literally had been leaving the car unlocked in the garage because I had been measuring the voltage / charging the battery and I needed to access the hood latch from time to time.

What's a little weird is that this does seem to be slowing the descent of the battery voltage.

With doors UNLOCKED (in garage) -- but car off and having said "Goodbye" on the console:
11/16 - Full battery (Brand new Odyssey install) - Read 12.69 + added a little with the charger - then read 13.03 (residual voltage reading - forgot to wait long enough - my guess is that it would have settled around 12.8 if I had waited - measurements in the afternoon/evening.
11/17 - off, unlocked, fob in house in faraday
11/18 - ditto
11/19 - Less than 3 days later, I go to drive it to pick up groceries in the morning. Voltage was at 11.8 !

With doors LOCKED (in garage) -- but car off and having said "Goodbye" on the console:
11/10 : 12.74
11/11 : 12.72
11/12 : 12.68
11/13 : (didn't measure)
11/14 : 12.61
11/15 : 12.61 {not a typo! first day it didn't drop!}

So... Make of that what you will.

I agree that -for the most part- the thing that matters is "will the car start" -- but for me, as a solo camper sometimes, I want to know that I have PLENTY in reserve - battery-wise.

It will be interesting to continue tracking this - but eventually we will need to actually drive the car to get curb-side-pickup groceries again. ;-)

TL;DNR - I'm starting to believe that - for my car at least - the locking of the doors actually matters. (?)

2020 Ascent - Delivered 11/13/2019 - Build date 10/19 - Post TSB with new gate controller - Self install of all LED interior lights - Went through 3 OEM batteries and two SOA cases to get to this point. Less than 3k miles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
@qwickening Good post and glad to see you got a '20 after the TSB was revised to even indicate it affected MY20.

So locked or unlocked was .8 difference but that's a 3-day vs 5-day test to YMMV. I'm a couple days away from picking up a '21 model so no doubt it's clear of the TSB. I always park my cars locked completely as we live on an alley in a city so from time to time there are people looking to snoop in unlocked cars. Not sure where we'll park out key fobs but they are not autostart as we'll likely love our 6mos of smartdevice based autostart and birthdays and such let those be easy purchases.

@burgessms I'm more intrigued by how the trunk opens itself on it's own

61 - 80 of 118 Posts