Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
2019 Limited build date 10/18 here and I've experienced both the dead battery from having tail gate open and also not being able to get the gate to open at all. This was after 2 days in a row at the beach with the gate up about 4 hrs each day with no travel time to recharge between days. Then 30 minutes of vacuuming sand with all doors open the 3rd day and battery was totally dead. Gate locked, shift lever locked in park, jump box stuck under rear floor. Ugh.

I got my dealer to perform the TSB and install the new RGP ECU 63350XC10B. Seems this will solve both issues. I also got Subaru Customer Service to agree to pay for a new battery. Plan on getting the Odyssey 35-PC1400T as many others have recommended. That will fix my final issue.

Of note - Odyssey told me today via email that the 35-PC1400T is no longer in production but is still available some places (including Autozone by special order deliver to home). It will be replaced by ODP-AGM35 to become available in 4-6 weeks hopefully. It will be a bit cheaper but have 675 CCA vs 850 CCA and C20: 59Ah vs 65 Ah.

Despite these issues and even after getting my Subi stuck in the sand - stopping all on & off beach access for 30 minutes - what fun! - I still like the RubiSubi.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WHAT?? Say it ISN"T SO!!! You got RubiSubi stuck in the sand?? I didn't think that was possible..
Seriously though... WHAT?? Say it ISN"T SO! It will probab ly have lower RC as well. From your model number it looks like the new AGM-35 will be a "Performance Series" battery instead of the 35-PC1400T which is in the "Extreme Series" lineup. QUICK! Order a 35-PC1400T. I have been super impressed so far...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Ascent Limited - my local dealer replaced my dead battery under warranty and after performing a parasitic draw test, agreed to replace the PRG controller based on TSB 07-155-19R (which I shared with my service advisor). The part had to be ordered and arrived at the dealer within 3 days. The part was installed without drama. I haven't had a chance to validate that the part fixed the parasitic draw when the rear hatch is open, but based on the previous posts in this forum I trust it solves the issue. Hoping this will solve the premature dead battery issue going forward but I also plan on upgrading the battery down the road when this weak stock battery eventually dies outside of warranty. Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
WHAT?? Say it ISN"T SO!!! You got RubiSubi stuck in the sand?? ....
Yep - not fun. Based on reading on this forum, I had the tire pressure down to 20. I'm very much the newbi on off road driving. I had installed a tow hitch, had attachments, a webbing strap (still wrapped in plastic), a small foldable shovel but no real idea how to use this stuff. The old heads that pulled me out insisted on taking the pressure down to 12-13. Though I only had a couple hundred yards to drive on the road off the beach, I thought the tires were going to come off the 20 inch rims at any moment.

·
Administrator
7,817 Posts
Yep - not fun. Based on reading on this forum, I had the tire pressure down to 20. I'm very much the newbi on off road driving. I had installed a tow hitch, had attachments, a webbing strap (still wrapped in plastic), a small foldable shovel but no real idea how to use this stuff. The old heads that pulled me out insisted on taking the pressure down to 12-13. Though I only had a couple hundred yards to drive on the road off the beach, I thought the tires were going to come off the 20 inch rims at any moment.
For really soft sand, I recommend tires with a more aggressive tread pattern. In reality, you should be at 16 psi on sand, but, I wouldn't do that on our stock 20's, because there's nearly no sidewall.

And then, don't floor it (no matter what you're driving). If you spin wheels, you will dig yourself flat onto the ground.

I will be making a video showing how to get un-stuck one day, using the very simple and cheap gear that absolutely everyone should be carrying for beach travel. And of course that means I will also be covering what gear is an absolute must for fine-sand beach travel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MY2019 Limited Build date 5/18.. Made appointment next Saturday to see if I can get the TSB (and hopefully, reimbursement for a non-OEM battery replacement / upgrade).
Summary of my experience: Around May 2020, Had tailgate open for about 30 min with car in accessory mode (we were at the park and trying to social distance while giving the kids some packed lunch to eat). Battery died. Was able to manually shut tailgate, but then could not turn on the engine, had flashing dash lights and constant beeping from tailgate. Unable to reopen the tailgate to access jumper cables. Needed to get jumpstart from friend. Reported to SoA case # 1-58558774770. Managed to get home and trickle charge the battery overnight. Then August 31, 2020, attempted to update the navigation maps with the car in accessory mode. Also, had the battery die during the installation after about 15-20 min (took video). Was able again to trickle charge the battery overnight and then proceeded to update the navigation the following morning, this time with the engine running. Called SoA and updated my case report with them. From reading online forums (and here on FB), this appears to be a common issue with the OEM battery having low power reserve and the tailgate drawing too much current when open. This is unacceptable for a $50K vehicle that is marketed to outdoors people who normally will have their tailgates open for camping etc. And as others have noted here and elsewhere, the issue appears to have been fixed (or at least improved) with TSB 07-155-19R Power Rear Gate (PRG) control module design change (date 6/12/19 REVISED 7/9/19) Part# ECU-POWER REAR GATE 63350XC10B , AND by installing a more robust battery (i.e. Odyssey Extreme Series 35-PC1400T or EverStart MAXX-35N (North)).

Current draw measurements taken today:
Starting (all doors and rear lift-gate closed) = 0.4A.
Open rear lift gate (Rear OEM cargo light on) = 4.1A.
Open rear lift gate (Rear OEM cargo light OFF) = 3.7A.
Open rear lift gate and doors open (Rear OEM cargo light on, interior lights on) = 5.8A.
Open rear lift gate and doors open (interior lights on, but Rear OEM cargo light off) = 5.5A.
Close lift gate (after 1-2 min) = 0.34A.

Just also in full disclosure, I have the Subispeed LED lift gate light installed and a hardwired in StreetGuardian dash cam, which both probably add to the current draw (there's no manual "OFF" switch for the Subispeed light). For now, I've got a TopVision portable car power pack and bought the HatchCatch.

I'm hoping I can get them to perform the TSB reimburse me for a Non-OEM battery change of my choosing...(although I'll be relatively happy if they at least do the TSB control module change.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Update - took it into the dealer today to get the battery checked (test results listed as good - was able to get out 563 CCA in a battery that’s listed as 550 CCA), get the TSB performed, and do the 24k oil change / tire rotation service. I mentioned the dead battery issue, and specifically mentioned concerns about the rear gate “dark draw”, which the service rep typed in for the tech to see. I also Proactively called last week into the parts dept. to ask them to order the ECU part so that I knew it was in stock and ready to go.

slightly updated testing :

pre-TSB - opened rear lift gate (0 min): drawing about 4.6A
pre-TSB - opened rear lift gate (after 20 min): still drawing about 4.1A

post-TSB - opened rear lift gate (0 min): drawing about 4.3A
post-TSB - opened rear lift gate (20 min): current draw drops down to 0.4A YAY!!!

I’d call that a success! I’m glad the dealer seemed to be cool with everything. Total time in the waiting area was about 2 hours.
Lastly, I didn’t see it mentioned elsewhere, but I also tested the current draw in accessory mode: 15.1A !!!! (15.7A with the rear lift gate open and accessory mode on!!).

I also did a trial torture test with the car on in accessory mode to see how long it could go before killing the battery - last night I was able to run it about 40 min in accessory mode (before I got too tired of waiting around). Car struggled to start up afterwards, but it did it, so I wasn’t super surprised when they said the battery tested out good. Not quite sure what happened when I had the dead battery episode in the park but hopefully it won’t happen again. Oh well, at least the TSB got performed. I can always put in another battery of my own choosing later (although all of the SoCal Walmart’s seem to be out of the Everstart MAXX 35N). I think I can get the Odyssey 35-PC1400T off Amazon, but the inconvenience of returning might be tricky.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts