Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick up our Ascent on June 30. After 8 days the battery was dead. Had to jump the vehicle and it seemed to work fine. Parked, closed garage, rolled up garage the next day
and the same thing..dead battery. Measured the voltage out of the battery and it was reading 9.3V which it wouldn't have enough juice to crank up the engine. Called local dealer and made appt.
After waiting for an hour for diagnostics. The dealer found a hole on the top of the battery. After closer look. The battery retaining bracket had a sharp edge on the side that punctured the battery
and eventually shorted the battery cells. More likely this happened after driving the vehicle a couple of days and with the road vibrations, turns and what not. The sharp edge digged a hole on
the battery. The service guy stated that this is probably a design problem. They grinded down the edge and installed a new battery. Vehicle seems to be working fine so far.

If you recently got your vehicle. You might want to check the bracket.

F

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Pick up our Ascent on June 30. After 8 days the battery was dead. Had to jump the vehicle and it seemed to work fine. Parked, closed garage, rolled up garage the next day
and the same thing..dead battery. Measured the voltage out of the battery and it was reading 9.3V which it wouldn't have enough juice to crank up the engine. Called local dealer and made appt.
After waiting for an hour for diagnostics. The dealer found a hole on the top of the battery. After closer look. The battery retaining bracket had a sharp edge on the side that punctured the battery
and eventually shorted the battery cells. More likely this happened after driving the vehicle a couple of days and with the road vibrations, turns and what not. The sharp edge digged a hole on
the battery. The service guy stated that this is probably a design problem. They grinded down the edge and installed a new battery. Vehicle seems to be working fine so far.

If you recently got your vehicle. You might want to check the bracket.

F
Can you send a picture of this edge please?

·
Registered
171 Posts
https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2.../Hold-Downs/maintenance_subaru_HoldDowns.html

The more I look at this, the more I wonder what happened? Did a screw get wedged? Did something break?

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2...9_7322156/Trays/maintenance_subaru_Trays.html

The tray looks plastic, which it should be.

Very weird.
Yeah story doesn't make a lot of sense, and there would have been some sort of QC check on the parts that would catch something out of spec

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do they 100% inspect every single part?
I used to be a QA Engineer. Parts are usually never 100% inspected. They usually take a percentage of a production lot and sample random pieces. That being said, if that part has issues, they should be able to identify which batch was bad.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used to be a QA Engineer. Parts are usually never 100% inspected. They usually take a percentage of a production lot and sample random pieces. That being said, if that part has issues, they should be able to identify which batch was bad.
Yeah, at my place of work it's the square root of n+1. So 25 containers received, 6 would be QC inspected.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, at my place of work it's the square root of n+1. So 25 containers received, 6 would be QC inspected.
Every process I've been around has a higher percentage of checks for new product lines vs. normal production procedures. We're talking about a car that had to be one of the earliest down the production line. Systems issues I understand, but I'm having a hard time with a plastic piece that was far enough out of spec that it punctured the battery. Not saying it's not possible just that it seems peculiar to me

·
Registered
219 Posts
Every process I've been around has a higher percentage of checks for new product lines vs. normal production procedures. We're talking about a car that had to be one of the earliest down the production line. Systems issues I understand, but I'm having a hard time with a plastic piece that was far enough out of spec that it punctured the battery. Not saying it's not possible just that it seems peculiar to me
Well if it is the battery hold down, it's been being used in the Forester since 2014 and I would think this issue would have come up before...
Subaru Ascent 2.4L Touring w/EyeSight 2019
Subaru Forester 2.0L CVT XT Premium 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree, NPD would have a higher percentage but once demand comes into play they may let quality slip just to ship. I'm sure this issue will spark a higher QC check for FAI.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I knew they should have kept assembly of the Ascent in some other state than Indiana.
Yeah and put it in one of the other multiple award winning Subaru manufacturing facilities outside of Japan...oh wait...

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah and put it in one of the other multiple award winning Subaru manufacturing facilities outside of Japan...oh wait...
Fun fact, in addition to Subaru factories in Japan and SIA, Subaru's are also assembled in Malaysia under contract with Tan Chong International. Subaru will also start new production in Thailand sometime in 2019 with another Tan Chong factory as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sharp edge is on the holding bracket(top)facing the firewall. The dealer ordered a new one and installed today. I will check it out when I get home and post picture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts