Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Are you concerned about data privacy and use related to info collected by your car??

• Yes, very much

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, somewhat

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Yes, a little bit

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Not at all

Votes: 2 14.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a good article about all the data our cars are collecting and sharing. I am wondering if there are settings/options that we can use to opt out of data sharing or reduce the amount of private information Subaru is collecting and maybe sharing? Does anyone know how we might be able to make these choices? Thanks.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/cars-data-privacy

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Privacy Policies

There are four sets of privacy policies regarding your use of your Subaru and related services (including their website). One or more apply to each owner. All are spelled out.

Subaru's Eyesight Data Collection Terms (See your Eyesight and Vehicle Manual).
  • If you get into an accident, law enforcement and interested parties can subpoena the records, which include a short period of recorded data (cameras, ECU and Eyesight data, etc) that are permanently recorded at the time an impact is detected.

Subaru Starlink Privacy Policy:

Subaru MySubaru Privacy Policy:

And, if you live in California, this applies to you:

AT&T's Connected Car Privacy Policy

There are a number of other privacy terms/concerns related to using Android Auto and Apple Carplay, which everyone can research in the apps they choose to use on their Android or Apple device.

BUT...
The short version is, a quick reading of Subaru's privacy policy makes my answer "I don't care".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Relevant info from the links Robert provided. I followed these links and the networkadvertising.org and aboutads.info links take you to a page where you can try to opt out from hundreds of online trackers, I was only able to opt out of about 30 It's easy to do. However I think that this just applies to the browser I'm currently using and not to data generated by my car.

From the Starlink privacy policy:

For more information on how to opt-out of advertiser tracking mechanisms, please visit www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.

5. California Residents
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as California’s “Shine the Light Law,” residents of California may request and receive, free of charge, a copy of Subaru’s California Information Disclosure Notice for the previous calendar year. This Notice lists the third party entities with which Subaru shared personal information for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To request this notice, please go to the Contact Us page on www.MySubaru.com, or request a copy by emailing or writing to the address above.

From the mySubaru privacy policy:

"The information gathered by MySubaru may also be used for marketing purposes. However, none of this information is ever sold to marketers, periodical publishers or any other outsiders. We share this information only within the Subaru family.
Please be assured that all information collected by MySubaru is stored in a responsible manner to protect your privacy."

To opt-out of third party cookies, please go to http://www.aboutads.info/choices.

From the AT&T privacy policy:

• Can I choose to exclude my Anonymous Information from your External Marketing & Analytics and other similar reports?
Yes. Click here to opt-out. This opt-out also applies to the sharing of your Anonymous Information with other companies for their use in creating marketing and analytics reports. Although this opt out does not apply to Metrics Reports, it will apply if we combine Metrics Report information with other customer information (like demographics) to create reports that we provide to our business customers or service suppliers.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Tiger Wood's black box is being analyzed. I expect some charges. Warrant had been issued for the box data..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got an email from State Farm last week offering me savings if I downloaded their "Drive Safe" app. They send you some kind of bluetooth device for your car (accelerometer/gyroscope, I presume?) that syncs to your phone. Their website suggests ways to save more "Limit things like excessive speed and hard stops....Limit driving at night, during decreased visibility, while fatigued or impaired... Drive less." They also notify you of driving factors: " Quick acceleration.Hard braking.Fast cornering.Speeding.Distracted driving."

So for the opportunity to save a few bucks they know everywhere you go, when you go there, and what you do along the way. No Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Interestingly, a lot of people near me don't qualify for those programs, regardless, because of mileage limitations. I always accurately report what I expect my yearly mileage will be, but, often, that requires me insisting they update my policy info with the correct mileage. In my area, the average (which the lazier underwriters use without asking) is nowhere near the actual driving average in our area - and definitely well below mine (a third of mine).

I looked into State Farm's and Progressive's app and dongle, and I waaaaay exceed the mileage requirements. I think most people near me do as well. More people in upstate NY would probably do well with it.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I got an email from State Farm last week offering me savings if I downloaded their "Drive Safe" app...
I completely agree. No thanks! A few insurance companies have similar offers but the savings isn’t much from the little research I’ve done on it while comparing rates. Here in VA if you’re going even 1mph over the speed limit during a crash, you are assigned at least partial fault. I could see their data potentially being used against you in certain situations. I use a dashcam at all times while driving but for this reason alone I’ll never plug a gps device into it to record speed. That changes the dashcam from insurance to a liability!

I wanted to pose another question related to data privacy as well. Is anyone willing to pay for the services you currently get for free that are ad supported?
Frankly I’m not. And while tech companies, Google especially, store a creepy amount of data, it’s a small price to pay for use of their services.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The easy thing to say is "no," but I guess most of us have cable TV and satellite radio ( I do).

But regarding apps I don't pay for anything like spotify or anything else out there. I do have Amazon prime and I get some free music through that but I haven't bought the additional subscription service there.

Everything seems to be turning that way, first it was cable TV, then satellite radio, now pretty much everything is going to be streaming or pay to play, I have a feeling. Fortunately I don't watch a lot of TV so I won't need to do that.

Getting back to the data collection, I think a lot of it is anonymized anyway so it doesn't bother me so much although I would prefer not to have everybody consuming my data.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
I use a dashcam at all times while driving but for this reason alone I’ll never plug a gps device into it to record speed. That changes the dashcam from insurance to a liability!
Same here. My dashcam is a defensive tool I don't want turned against me. Although so far I've used it twice to get illegal and dangerous drivers ticketed. No accidents, just observed (and recorded and turned over to highway patrol) recklessness that was endangering others.

Google especially, store a creepy amount of data, it’s a small price to pay for use of their services.
On Tuesday this week I walked into a fast food place I go to once in a while. As I walked across the parking lot, my phone alerted. I look at the screen and Google maps was welcoming me back and telling me that it's been 2 years since I visited. That's why criminals use burner flip phones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.