Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd love to add a dashcam, but the area by the rear view mirror is in high demand. The Eyesight cameras require a lot of clear windshield and the back right of the rear view mirror houses the sensor for oncoming headlights. I've squeezed the EZ Pass transponder up under the space above the mirror on the left side of the mirror.

Ideally, it would be great if Subaru built a dashcam into the left side of the back of the rear view mirror with a removable memory card. Alternatively, the car could record the previous 10 minutes to 30 minutes and we could download the portions of the recording that we wanted. I just don't want any wires showing and a bulky dashcam in that mirror area isn't very functional.

For those of you who have installed them, what are your impressions? (Please name the model.)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
The car already has WiFi. It would be a nice feature if they had a built in dash cam like you were describing and then it could just transfer via WiFi. Probably wishful thinking for the near future

FWIW I put my z-Edge S3 dash cam from amazon in the dotted area just to the right of the rear view mirror and it doesn’t seem to be interfering with eyesight. Edit: added pics

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I am planning on getting this dash cam and using the "rear" camera in the front, and front in the rear (since they're the same resolution). I will be scraping the dots off next to the rain sensor and placing the "rear" camera there.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCSMJZB/

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Let us know if you like that dash cam after you use it a bit if you don’t mind?

I actually put my small rear facing cam on the wire cover for the rear view mirror, facing inward. That way there’s very little gap between the front view and the rear view. I get the whole cabin view as well as some out each side and back window. It paid off having it there in my last car, which was totaled. The video showed that the passengers were all buckled in so no blame was placed on me as the driver for any injuries.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Depends on what dash cam you're talking about TBH...
I was able to put my dash cam (street guardian front and rear system) up behind the drivers side rear view mirror without much issue or detriment (that i can tell) to the eyesight system. I wonder if your EZ pass transponder might fit behind the passenger's side of the rear view mirror (or vice versa).
There are several posts about dash cams and mounting spots... also I think several threads about EZ pass. I think there is even a small satellite transponder for EZ pass that you can either mount in the drivers window next to the side mirror or outside on the front license plate.

Here's how mine looks:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/35111-post45.html

EDIT: wow, that Rexing model is super tiny! Let us know how you like it!
I went with Street Guardian cause I've had good experience with them in the past and they seem to have good customer support and frequent updates. They also have an active presence on the dash cam forums.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I installed this unit in my Outback (front and rear). I had several of these in my other two vehicles and they worked great. The only downside is that the cable for the rear facing camera is pretty thick and somewhat difficult to maneuver to the rear of the vehicle. Other than that small issue, I am pleased with the Viofo A129 Duo Bundle.

The camera does upload the pics/videos to my phone through the app.

The front camera is small enough to put behind the rear view mirror, out of the way of the Eyesight system.

https://www.amazon.com/Bundle-Chann...41&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=viofo+a129+duo&psc=1

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'll try and grab a picture during lunch but i installed mine alone the headliner almost directly in front of the passenger. No obvious affect on eyesight. I thought about behind the mirror but was worried it would be too low plus the location i went with allows easy access to the memory card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a DDPai dashcam with WiFi and it downloads on demand to my phone. Resolution and field of view is unbelievable day or night. Updates to software are regularly available and although it isn't perfect, I love it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm working on a design for a 7" high-res touch screen, Android Lollipop powered, GPS enabled Dashcam that will both record and monitor the windshield view, the rear view, the front grill area view and side views if desired (any two views simultaneously). Since it's Android powered it will also perform multiple other functions as well as accept applications from the Google Play store. This will give it as much power and flexibility as a smartphone, yet it will additionally be a two to six camera (switchable) Dashcam.

I'm doing this because I own a Limited and I wanted an elegant way to add the missing front and rear monitoring cameras found only on the Touring as well as adding a front and rear dashcam. I'm an electrical/software engineer and I researched every existing dashcam component I could find for a solution. It will use off the shelf components already available and cost less than $200. To those who do not own a Touring, it will add the missing front and rear cameras for both monitoring and recording. If you own a Touring, it will add a front and rear Dashcam and side cameras if you wish.

The installation will be about the same as any Dashcam, mostly plug and play, and it will not interfere with the existing windshield cameras or other sensors. The 7" wide touch screen monitor will sit on the dash above the existing monitor. Its position is fully adjustable and its low profile will not interfere with the view out the windshield, not to mention the high-res display is gorgeous and looks great installed.

I ordered all the required components back in November and they've finally all arrived. The preliminary testing went perfectly and I'm going to begin the installation and final testing very soon. I hope to have it all completed within the next couple of weeks as my time permits. When completed, I'll share the design along with all the necessary information to duplicate the install here in the Ascent forum. I believe this will be a near perfect solution for those who want to duplicate the Touring's extra cameras as well as adding a front/rear dashcam. The Android powered monitor/CPU will be icing on the cake as it can also be used for endless other applications such as a Bluetooth powered OBDII monitor. It has WiFi and Bluetooth as well as 4G although I don't plan on getting a SIM for it. It will accept most applications downloaded from the Google Play Store, so use your own imagination as to what else you can do with it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm working on a design for a 7" high-res touch screen, Android Lollipop powered, GPS enabled Dashcam that will both record and monitor the windshield view, the rear view, the front grill area view and side views if desired (any two views simultaneously). Since it's Android powered it will also perform multiple other functions as well as accept applications from the Google Play store. This will give it as much power and flexibility as a smartphone, yet it will additionally be a two to six camera (switchable) Dashcam.

I'm doing this because I own a Limited and I wanted an elegant way to add the missing front and rear monitoring cameras found only on the Touring as well as adding a front and rear dashcam. I'm an electrical/software engineer and I researched every existing dashcam component I could find for a solution. It will use off the shelf components already available and cost less than $200. To those who do not own a Touring, it will add the missing front and rear cameras for both monitoring and recording. If you own a Touring, it will add a front and rear Dashcam and side cameras if you wish.

The installation will be about the same as any Dashcam, mostly plug and play, and it will not interfere with the existing windshield cameras or other sensors. The 7" wide touch screen monitor will sit on the dash above the existing monitor. Its position is fully adjustable and its low profile will not interfere with the view out the windshield, not to mention the high-res display is gorgeous and looks great installed.

I ordered all the required components back in November and they've finally all arrived. The preliminary testing went perfectly and I'm going to begin the installation and final testing very soon. I hope to have it all completed within the next couple of weeks as my time permits. When completed, I'll share the design along with all the necessary information to duplicate the install here in the Ascent forum. I believe this will be a near perfect solution for those who want to duplicate the Touring's extra cameras as well as adding a front/rear dashcam. The Android powered monitor/CPU will be icing on the cake as it can also be used for endless other applications such as a Bluetooth powered OBDII monitor. It has WiFi and Bluetooth as well as 4G although I don't plan on getting a SIM for it. It will accept most applications downloaded from the Google Play Store, so use your own imagination as to what else you can do with it.
Sounds awesome. Thank you for this - This is what forums are all about! I definitely want to consider this when you release your results.

Right now I have the common A119 version 2 dashcam (front only). I want to install a rear cam but will wait to see your project first.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Sounds awesome. Thank you for this - This is what forums are all about! I definitely want to consider this when you release your results.

Right now I have the common A119 version 2 dashcam (front only). I want to install a rear cam but will wait to see your project first.
I'll be more than happy to share the results, in fact, I specifically chose the components to make it as easy as possible for anyone to duplicate. If you're handy enough to install a typical dashcam, then you should have no problems with this.

The only tricky part is switching the cameras. Three are required for my specific purposes but there can actually be any number. There is the windshield view camera which is built into the dash unit, a rearview camera, and the camera for the front grill. The windshield camera is always in use for the dashcam, but the rear and front grill cameras will share a single input and can be easily switched as desired. For example, in normal use you would be using the rear camera for dashcam recording and/or monitoring, but when you're parking you may choose to switch to the front grill camera much as you would in the Touring. This will be quick and easy using a simple, conveniently located switch. The monitor can display any single camera in full screen or any two at once in PIP mode.

Sadly, I could find no dashcams with more than one auxiliary camera input, except for some used on semi trucks which are too big and inelegant for use on the Ascent. So the design needs to include a way to switch between two or more cameras to share the one aux video input port. The cameras use a four-pin 2.5mm plug. I tried to find an existing device that would switch between two such plugs but couldn't, although I'm still looking. So the solution was to simply make one. This requires a few inexpensive components and some minor soldering skills. I believe most people handy enough to install a dashcam should have no problem duplicating it. however, if anyone knows of an existing device that can switch between two or more 2.5mm four-pin plugs please let me know.

Here is what the dashcam looks like:

Since this device uses smartphone electronics and the Andriod OS, and since it has WiFi, conceivably you could also add a WiFi camera to it as well. I have yet to try that, but it should work.

If you have any questions or comment please let me know.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Love this idea!! Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.
I already have a front and rear facing dash cam, but if this thing can at least add a front bumper cam or be used to record other stuff like the inside of the cabin and/or side videos, then it'd be sweet to see. Am looking forward to seeing what the final product ends up being like.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Have you thought of using a "remote" module for the DVR part? I was going to build my own system (then realized I haven't finished two dozen other projects) and was looking at a four channel DVR unit that would be an ideal fit under the dash. Then, controls, LCD and cameras would simply be wired to it.

I'll be more than happy to share the results, in fact, I specifically chose the components to make it as easy as possible for anyone to duplicate. If you're handy enough to install a typical dashcam, then you should have no problems with this.

The only tricky part is switching the cameras. Three are required for my specific purposes but there can actually be any number. There is the windshield view camera which is built into the dash unit, a rearview camera, and the camera for the front grill. The windshield camera is always in use for the dashcam, but the rear and front grill cameras will share a single input and can be easily switched as desired. For example, in normal use you would be using the rear camera for dashcam recording and/or monitoring, but when you're parking you may choose to switch to the front grill camera much as you would in the Touring. This will be quick and easy using a simple, conveniently located switch. The monitor can display any single camera in full screen or any two at once in PIP mode.

Sadly, I could find no dashcams with more than one auxiliary camera input, except for some used on semi trucks which are too big and inelegant for use on the Ascent. So the design needs to include a way to switch between two or more cameras to share the one aux video input port. The cameras use a four-pin 2.5mm plug. I tried to find an existing device that would switch between two such plugs but couldn't, although I'm still looking. So the solution was to simply make one. This requires a few inexpensive components and some minor soldering skills. I believe most people handy enough to install a dashcam should have no problem duplicating it. however, if anyone knows of an existing device that can switch between two or more 2.5mm four-pin plugs please let me know.

If you have any questions or comment please let me know.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Have you thought of using a "remote" module for the DVR part? I was going to build my own system (then realized I haven't finished two dozen other projects) and was looking at a four channel DVR unit that would be an ideal fit under the dash. Then, controls, LCD and cameras would simply be wired to it.
I looked at several such units which had promise, but most were built for tractor trailers. The issue was the monitor. The monitors for those looked like heavy duty industrial units and lacked the aesthetics for use in an elegant SUV such as the Ascent. Another issue was the wiring, I did not want it to be overly complex nor did I want it to show. The wiring for many monitors and DVRs that I saw was ridiculous with massive connectors and exposed heavy wiring everywhere coming out in all directions. Tha may be acceptable for a semi truck but not a passenger car. The wiring and connections for the unit I selected were well thought out using ultra-miniature connectors. Once installed, they will not show. The unit's electronics also act as a base for the monitor and the windshield camera which make the installation very simple. You simply install special included pads onto the top of the dash with double sided tape. These pads contain a magnet which holds the unit firmly in place but allows for easy removal. The pads can also be removed with no damage to the dash.

Since the one I chose is built around the same electronics of a typical smartphone, the integral DVR can use a 32GB SD card. This is more than enough storage for both front and rear simultaneous recordings for most people.

This unit does it all and more, and is very aesthetic. The photos do not do it justice, the display is stunning and far better than most dashcams. It's even better than the upper LCD display in the Limited and Touring with better resolution and touch screen capability. The touch screen controls everything, there is no need for any mechanical buttons. It only has one mechanical button and it's not really needed unless you wanted to turn the unit off while driving. Then you have the choice of a minimal clock/compass only display or a blank screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I looked at several such units which had promise, but most were built for tractor trailers. The issue was the monitor. The monitors for those looked like heavy duty industrial units and lacked the aesthetics for use in an elegant SUV such as the Ascent. Another issue was the wiring, I did not want it to be overly complex nor did I want it to show. The wiring for many monitors and DVRs that I saw was ridiculous with massive connectors and exposed heavy wiring everywhere coming out in all directions. Tha may be acceptable for a semi truck but not a passenger car. The wiring and connections for the unit I selected were well thought out using ultra-miniature connectors. Once installed, they will not show. The unit's electronics also act as a base for the monitor and the windshield camera which make the installation very simple. You simply install special included pads onto the top of the dash with double sided tape. These pads contain a magnet which holds the unit firmly in place but allows for easy removal. The pads can also be removed with no damage to the dash.

Since the one I chose is built around the same electronics of a typical smartphone, the integral DVR can use a 32GB SD card. This is more than enough storage for both front and rear simultaneous recordings for most people.

This unit does it all and more, and is very aesthetic. The photos do not do it justice, the display is stunning and far better than most dashcams. It's even better than the upper LCD display in the Limited and Touring with better resolution and touch screen capability. The touch screen controls everything, there is no need for any mechanical buttons. It only has one mechanical button and it's not really needed unless you wanted to turn the unit off while driving. Then you have the choice of a minimal clock/compass only display or a blank screen.
Nice thread reply. As an IT professional, I enjoyed reading it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts