Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We purchased the Premium ascent with moon and navi package. We test drove a limited and I LOVED the multi-display above the stereo. I figured that was just a standard and didn't bother asking about it. Now that we have the premium I see that it is not standard. Has anyone seen this added to a premium or know if this can just be installed after the fact? We should have just gone with the limited but really didn't like the leather choice.

Thank you!

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you have the $$$$$$$$$ it’s possible! You would more than likely pay as much to install the Multidisplay as you would if you traded in your Ascent for the Limited.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I want that little display too. What really is involved with putting one in?

Not sure the HUD is useful since the radio already does android auto and that suits my phone service needs well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have asked several dealerships including SOA. First I need to state that SOA customer service are fanatics. They sound like they are in a cult. The first thing out of their brainwashed mouths is that any changes made can void their warranty and that if it wasn’t made for the car specifically it won’t work. They all get very upset at the mere mention of any modification. It really sounds like they consider the cars are made by god and is a blasphemy to alter in any way. That being said SOA will not hive any info on this possibility. Not even a parts list. They refer to the dealerships for info. The dealerships (I’ve asked several) have no idea if this is feasible. But I have found out that so far the only different parts are top dash lcd screen and the wire harness that goes to the head unit. If that’s the case, labor aside the cost of change would be only a few hundred dollars. That is of course assuming there isn’t a different ecu or bcu. I’m still trying to get more info as this feature is very important to me. Being a first year first gen I wanted as much info as possible and didn’t know this feature was only in limited and touring. The online brochure, comparison trim are very vague on this feature and other websites show it on all trims. As soon as I find out more I will let you guys know.

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
But I have found out that so far the only different parts are top dash lcd screen and the wire harness that goes to the head unit. If that’s the case, labor aside the cost of change would be only a few hundred dollars. That is of course assuming there isn’t a different ecu or bcu. I’m still trying to get more info as this feature is very important to me.
Does that mean you're actively looking into swapping it? I would do it for maybe a few hundred after someone's completed it first. I really didnt need to spend a few thousand more on leather but that display would have been a nice option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the responses!

That HUD is super cool. I love the built-in aspect of the Subaru unit. Haven't even bothered to ask my local dealership about it yet.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes I am actively looking to change it to the lcd for enhanced vehicle info. I’ve spoken to both dealers and SOA about it. SOA even said they be willing to pay part of the cost if possible. Every car already has sensors that collect this info and relays it back to the ECU. That’s how it can tell you if you’re overheating and whatnot. If you have an OBDII scanner with love data, you can see that it already outputs all of this data and can be viewed. All that is lacking is a way to take this input and translate into a viewable format. I have just not had the time to go to the dealer to talk about this further. But I will go soon. They owe me a new pair of side window deflectors since the ones I purchased began separating for the adhesive within less than 2 months. Did you all know that if you purchase an accessory and install yourself that Subaru does not cover under vehicle warranty. It is covered under accessory warranty for 1 year only and doesn’t cover wear and tear items, ie the adhesive backing. I had to argue with a parts manager who stated they had to check with the warranty dept at SOA, which of course I never got a reply to. I only got SOA to cover this as a courtesy one time exchange. Had THEY installed it , it would have been covered. I swear I will never buy another Subaru oem accessory again if I can help it. But back to the question, as I stated before, as soon as I get more info I will relay it to everyone here. I have a feeling there needs to be a firmware update for some of the modules for this to work. Otherwise if it really is just cable and screen, then we are merely missing interface button to change selection.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The multi display lcd does not require nav. All the sensors for this to work should theoretically be in place. Those specific sensors you mentioned already exist. Torque vectoring couldn’t exist without it. And as I stated above, if you connect OBDII reader, the data from those sensors can be read. The ECU should already be receiving and using all that data input, but lacks the interface to show the driver that information. My theory is that the current harness on the monotone lcd lacks some of the connectors for that data. If it were possible for someone to get images of both types of connectors, we could probably figure out what’s missing. Then you would simply need the multi display lcd and the selector button that goes with that screen. Et viola, you have access to enhanced vehicle information and the ability to add the front view camera (most likely).

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
FWIW...May need the front camera too.
I could probably google this, but do the Tourings come with the front camera while the Limiteds do not? Ultimate goal would be adding that front camera to my premium but if we find out how in depth it is to just do the LCD i'm all for it!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
I could probably google this, but do the Tourings come with the front camera while the Limiteds do not? Ultimate goal would be adding that front camera to my premium but if we find out how in depth it is to just do the LCD i'm all for it!
Front Camera only comes on the Touring...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Those specific sensors you mentioned already exist. Torque vectoring couldn’t exist without it. And as I stated above, if you connect OBDII reader, the data from those sensors can be read. The ECU should already be receiving and using all that data input, but lacks the interface to show the driver that information. My theory is that the current harness on the monotone lcd lacks some of the connectors for that data. If it were possible for someone to get images of both types of connectors, we could probably figure out what’s missing. Then you would simply need the multi display lcd and the selector button that goes with that screen. Et viola, you have access to enhanced vehicle information and the ability to add the front view camera (most likely).
That's not always a safe assumption. For example in my S4 you can go in with the OBD tool and enable the G meter display that the RS4 has, but it doesn't work because there is a separate G sensor module that also has to be installed even though the car already has all those sensors you mentioned for the same reasons you mentioned. Knowing Subaru's tendency to build fewer models, and that I can't find a G or incline sensor for sale on subaru parts probably means it's built in. The fact that the LCD plugs into the head unit probably means it's using a MEMS sensor like in an android tablet since the head unit is basically an android tablet.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's rarely easy to install OE features on models that don't include them and you'll usually get no help from the manufacturer. This is by design. Manufacturers love to upgrade and sell different trim lines over base models to make a lot more money. It may cost them a thousand dollars to upgrade a base model which they'll then sell for thousands more. They don't want to give their customers an easy way to do this for themselves for much less.

This is not to say it can't be done. If someone clever can solve any electrical/mechanical roadblocks, you can usually buy the necessary parts from Subaru parts sellers including the dealers. However, these days some features may require additional software or internal software settings which may not be available across trim lines and is usually controlled by the manufacturer to lock out upgrade attempts made by owners or aftermarket providers. These days you can't even upgrade the audio system like you used to because many OE head units now contain integral critical features.

In such cases, it may be best to try and find aftermarket solutions. For example, I own a Limited and I wanted a front camera which only comes on the Touring trim, so I devised a solution using an Android-based display unit. Such solutions can even provide more features, for example, my front camera upgrade also includes a front/rear dashcam and the ability to run the awesome Torque application, which even the Touring trim doesn't have. So there's always hope.

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
I'm starting to think you limited/touring owners don't want us peasants to have nice things too! :devil::kiss::tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is very similar to when Subaru updated the multi function display on the 2018+ WRX/STI. 2015-2017 owners wanted to retrofit the new MFD into their cars, and it took some investigating of the wiring harnesses and pin outs to determine if the mod was possible. See this thread on NASIOC: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2842223&highlight=mfd. SVXdc (ae64.com) created a required wiring harness adapter to allow the swap to work, mostly due to changes to connector styles between the older and newer MFD's.

On the Ascent, it will likely take someone buying (or acquiring) a Limited / Touring MFD and trying to see physical differences between that and the Premium MFD designs. If the connectors are the same, there is some likelihood (based on the aforementioned WRX details) that the required CAN BUS signals would be sent to the current Premium MFD, and therefore they would be present if the Limited / Touring display was swapped.

If someone was very interested, they could also perhaps try to contact SVXdc on NASIOC to investigate.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bit of an update. I was talking to several dealerships about this when I remembered what one of the sale people told me. When I was shopping for this car one of the sale people said that the front camera could be added onto a limited by adding the camera, the wiring harness, and the ecu. In addition it would require a firmware reflash. If what he said is true then adding the multi display should be the same, assuming there are no additional sensors. The parts guys could not find any additional between models. At this point I have decided to give up this search because I found the best solution.

I saw this by chance. Same company as the hudwsy cast but now everything is wireless. Their camera system is unbelievably cheap and the front/rear camera even has the parking sensors that I wanted. Pair this with an ELM327 and we now have a projected hud that will display anything we want along with side cameras and front camera with parking sensors. I’ve already ordered mine and should receive in the next few months

1 - 19 of 19 Posts