Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time in about 10 days all the warning lights on my 2019 Subaru Ascent have come on. The car has less than 6000 miles and is 9 months old. The first time a family member dropped it off at the dealers as I was out of town. They turned off the lights and said to call if it happened again. Today it happened again but this time when I backed the car out of the driveway the BRAKE (not parking brake) light was on and it felt as if the car was "dragging". After multiple calls to the dealer I restarted the vehicle and the brake light was no longer illuminated and the vehicle moved as usual. The car is now at the dealership and I'm in a loaner. I am very concerned as I normally have 3 grandbabies in my vehicle and don't want to have this be a transmission issue!

On another note, the reason I leased this car is for the 7 passenger capacity to accommodate 3 car seats....big mistake on that! Entry into the 3rd row is severely compromised when there are car seats in each of the 2nd row captain's chairs. If this a your reason for getting an Ascent, go look at minivans.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
For the second time in about 10 days all the warning lights on my 2019 Subaru Ascent have come on. The car has less than 6000 miles and is 9 months old. The first time a family member dropped it off at the dealers as I was out of town. They turned off the lights and said to call if it happened again. Today it happened again but this time when I backed the car out of the driveway the BRAKE (not parking brake) light was on and it felt as if the car was "dragging". After multiple calls to the dealer I restarted the vehicle and the brake light was no longer illuminated and the vehicle moved as usual. The car is now at the dealership and I'm in a loaner. I am very concerned as I normally have 3 grandbabies in my vehicle and don't want to have this be a transmission issue!

On another note, the reason I leased this car is for the 7 passenger capacity to accommodate 3 car seats....big mistake on that! Entry into the 3rd row is severely compromised when there are car seats in each of the 2nd row captain's chairs. If this a your reason for getting an Ascent, go look at minivans.
Sorry to say that it most likely is related to transmission. Either the wiring harness or the control valve body. The vehicle fit for your needs is another matter. Since this lease will be out of service for some time, might they be willing to put you in a minivan?

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Are they rear-facing seats? I feel your pain but those seats don't last forever. One of my favorite milestones was when my sons learned to buckle and unbuckle themselves in forward facing boosters! Hang in there...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply. I've read about a number of transmission related problems and none of it is comforting. I'll certainly ask the dealer if either of the 2 items you mention have been looked at.
Re: the loaner....I hope that the dealer can accommodate the need for a vehicle such as a minivan. Right now I have 2 seats loaded into the back of a Legacy and the almost 8 year old will be sandwiched in the middle without her booster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One is but she's only 2 months old. Another is a front-facing high back booster and the other a regular booster. I know what you mean about the buckle and unbuckle part! Milestone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer called back late this afternoon and said, yes, there is something wrong with your car! (the looks they gave me this morning were pretty skeptical...lol) They said after speaking with various "experts" I was correct that this issue is listed online and the solution is to change the wiring harness! Hmm...where did I hear that suggestion??
So I get to keep my loaner until sometime next week. Not 100% confident that this will solve the problem completely but it's a start. Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The dealer called back late this afternoon and said, yes, there is something wrong with your car! (the looks they gave me this morning were pretty skeptical...lol) They said after speaking with various "experts" I was correct that this issue is listed online and the solution is to change the wiring harness! Hmm...where did I hear that suggestion??
So I get to keep my loaner until sometime next week. Not 100% confident that this will solve the problem completely but it's a start. Thank you again for your help!
A permanent solution is available, so do not fret. Those who have had the harness changed out all have reported it works fine now. In terms of the vehicle size, with that many very small children it is a challenge. Of course, they will not be in car seats forever and then you have a nicer vehicle than a minivan. It is a balancing act and a personal choice. Minivans and a squad of young-ins is very convenient.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know! So true on the not in car seats forever comment and these are my great grands so I've been down this path a few times! However, my lease will be up long before the youngest, now 2 months old, is riding in a booster...lol. The other aspect of the Ascent is that if you are using the 3rd row, both sides up, there is no room for groceries or sports gear. Anyway, enough griping on the vehicle size, at this time it doesn't work for me but in 25 months or less I can shop for a minivan. LOL
Thank you again for your help!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Good news is that it's solved the problem for everyone else who's had it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer replaced the transmission wiring harness after 13 days in the shop. They are hopeful this will fix the issue. I checked the date of manufacture and found 9/2018 and will add this info to the list of complaints on transmissions, etc., as it seems the vehicles manufactured between 7/18 and 9/18 are the ones with issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts