Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ascent Limited with the color LCD on top of the dash. I don't have built in navigation. I use Android Auto to access google maps on my phone for navigation. I might try a Magellan subscription in the future.

My question is this: When scrolling through the different screens on the upper LCD and stopping at the weather screen, it always shows the weather for the New York Metro Area. Since I live in Oklahoma City, that information is useless.

I've been looking for any place in the manuals that mention it. In the main manual, it mentions that that when the destination is entered in the Navigation system it will display the weather at your destination. Other than that, I can't find anywhere that allows me to set the weather display to my area.

Anyone know how to change the weather display location on non-navigation systems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should be able to control your weather locations by configuring them in the SiriusXM travel link settings. If you press the Apps button, then select the Travel Link app, then select Weather, I remember seeing a place to add/remove locations that you want weather information for.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You should be able to control your weather locations by configuring them in the SiriusXM travel link settings. If you press the Apps button, then select the Travel Link app, then select Weather, I remember seeing a place to add/remove locations that you want weather information for.
Wait so it doesn't automatically find your location for weather? Sure, I can set it for Denver, but what about when we leave the city.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wait so it doesn't automatically find your location for weather? Sure, I can set it for Denver, but what about when we leave the city.
I think it is supposed to show location based on your maps (if you have navigation). Also the setting in TravelLink does have an option for "current location" so perhaps with that selected it'll update based on location.

I haven't been able to change the location on the smaller screen though, even after manually setting a specific location in TravelLink. I'm from Northern California and I'll change it to Los Angeles, just to see if it'll update the location of the weather report on the smaller screen but it doesn't. Perhaps after couple of drives because clearly it doesn't update automatically. It'll still show my current location and I haven't gone out of the area far enough to see if it'll update location.

Also, it appears it only shows Metro weather report. I drove about 30 miles south of where I am from, to a different city, and used the system's GPS. It'll show on the smaller screen, the destination weather, but the current location and destination weather were both the same (metro area).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, this just seems bizarre. I would think its obvious that if my car is going to give me a weather report, 98% of the time I am going to want to know the weather where I currently am. I guess, unless I have a destination loaded...maybe.

I am no IT guy, but I would think either we are missing something, or this should be a fairly simple software update issue.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This isn't an issue specific to the Ascent, we have the same problem in 16 Outback
From a model two years old? Clearly I am missing something here. If the issue is what I think it is, then surely Subaru knows about it. Why hasn't this been fixed?

·
Registered
174 Posts
From a model two years old? Clearly I am missing something here. If the issue is what I think it is, then surely Subaru knows about it. Why hasn't this been fixed?
I think it's just the way the infotainment system works. We live in Chicago area and the closest we can get for weather is based on towns 30 miles away rather than a GPS based system that is querying weather based on specific location

1 - 9 of 9 Posts