Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when I started my car the dash lights and infotainment lights all went off. That includes the backup camera. After about a minute the lights switched on and I disregarded it as a fluke. Then this evening when I left a restaurant I turned my car on and NO DASH or INFOTAINMENT LIGHTS. This time they didn't turn back on after a minute. When I switched the headlights from Auto to "0" the Dash & Infotainment lights came on. Then I switched the light switch to auto again and lights went off. Then switched it to "on" and the still stayed off. Even the backup camera is not visible. Any ideas what might be causing this?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
This morning when I started my car the dash lights and infotainment lights all went off. That includes the backup camera. After about a minute the lights switched on and I disregarded it as a fluke. Then this evening when I left a restaurant I turned my car on and NO DASH or INFOTAINMENT LIGHTS. This time they didn't turn back on after a minute. When I switched the headlights from Auto to "0" the Dash & Infotainment lights came on. Then I switched the light switch to auto again and lights went off. Then switched it to "on" and the still stayed off. Even the backup camera is not visible. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Keyed or keyless ignition? Also, have you accidentally covered the light sensors, or accidentally have something shining in them? And finally, what settings are set in the head unit?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a key fob. Where are the light sensors? Don't think they are covered. I have it set on automatic. Then I put it on manual and turned to max and got some dull light. Then put it back on Automatic.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Settings and sensors...

I have a key fob. Where are the light sensors? Don't think they are covered. I have it set on automatic. Then I put it on manual and turned to max and got some dull light. Then put it back on Automatic.
Look at the right side of this image, 84088

https://parts.boisesubaru.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/W11_83501477.png

Check in the head unit's settings. Home->Settings->Vehicle->Auto Light Sensor

If that doesn't help, then, sadly, you need to take it in. :sad: :crying:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Light Sensor is not blocked. Turned auxiliary power on and now lights are working dimly but not bright like normal. Went to Home>Settings>Vehicle>Auto Light Sensor. It is set to Max. Guess I will be taking it in tomorrow. At least, RIGHT NOW, the lights are working dimly which is better than a black screen as earlier. Do you think it's the head unit? Thanks Robert.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
So many possibilities...

Light Sensor is not blocked. Turned auxiliary power on and now lights are working dimly but not bright like normal. Went to Home>Settings>Vehicle>Auto Light Sensor. It is set to Max. Guess I will be taking it in tomorrow. At least, RIGHT NOW, the lights are working dimly which is better than a black screen as earlier. Do you think it's the head unit? Thanks Robert.
A black screen on the infotainment system could indicate the head unit needs an update. Or, if it is tied to the lighting issue in the car, it could be the adjustment dial that you've been trying that's not doing what it should. It could also be a harness that connects that manual dial to the head unit. It could also be a malfunctioning light sensor.

Hard to tell not being there, but, it could be rather simple or need the harness replaced from HU to switch. Good news is, if it's not the head unit (probably unlikely), it's not a tough or complex job, really. Just a matter of if parts are in stock or readily available.

Wish I could be of more help. Heck, wish I could be any help. :sad:

Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It sounds like you are aware and trying this but just in case, there's a dial on the left side a little above knee level that can adjust the brightness when the headlights are on. You've messed with that right?

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
265 Posts
While I have not experienced it in my Ascent, my neighbors Outback is in the shop for an entirely new infotainment system. He has a 2018 outback and it did what yours did. It went out for a short time and came back. Then a few weeks later it went out again for a couple days so he brought it in. He’s been in a loaner for over a week waiting for it to be swapped out. Good luck. Hope this doesn’t end up being an Ascent issue too.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I read reviews of the 18 outback on edmunds and there were a lot of head u it issues. After having a 14 for awhile, I was surprised to read about so many issues.
Yep, and there's a recent update that supposedly fixes them. I am following along in the Outback forums to see if it resolved all of the complaints.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I have not experienced it in my Ascent, my neighbors Outback is in the shop for an entirely new infotainment system. He has a 2018 outback and it did what yours did. It went out for a short time and came back. Then a few weeks later it went out again for a couple days so he brought it in. He’s been in a loaner for over a week waiting for it to be swapped out. Good luck. Hope this doesn’t end up being an Ascent issue too.
Well Thanks. I dropped the vehicle today and received a loaner. I will say, Lokey Subaru has been very responsive so far. Being a Saturday, they won't be figuring it out until next week. Hope it is only a firmware issue.

·
Registered
667 Posts
...my neighbors Outback is in the shop for an entirely new infotainment system. He has a 2018 outback....

I read reviews of the 18 outback on edmunds and there were a lot of head u it issues. After having a 14 for awhile, I was surprised to read about so many issues.

Yep, and there's a recent update that supposedly fixes them. I am following along in the Outback forums to see if it resolved all of the complaints.
To add:

My FIL's '18 Legacy also fell to this issue. It took the dealership ~9 weeks to source a replacement HU (which was, at the time it happened for him, the then-definitive fix).

Robert.Mauro, my understanding is that this was an issue specific to the HU for the '18 BN/BS, correct?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
...my neighbors Outback is in the shop for an entirely new infotainment system. He has a 2018 outback....

To add:

My FIL's '18 Legacy also fell to this issue. It took the dealership ~9 weeks to source a replacement HU (which was, at the time it happened for him, the then-definitive fix).

Robert.Mauro, my understanding is that this was an issue specific to the HU for the '18 BN/BS, correct?
So far, yes. The only TSB I've seen applies to the Outback. The update for the Outback is Rel_U0.18.43.20

·
Registered
25 Posts
. I have been having this same issue. Also problems with my phone not syncing to the Apple CarPlay (plays one song I request, then goes silent, I can’t use any of the buttons on the touch screen to go to radio or XM)and the hands free button on the steering wheel not working. Going to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
. I have been having this same issue. Also problems with my phone not syncing to the Apple CarPlay (plays one song I request, then goes silent, I can’t use any of the buttons on the touch screen to go to radio or XM)and the hands free button on the steering wheel not working. Going to the dealer tomorrow.
Press the radio button below the touchscreen to go to Radio/XM. From there, the touchscreen will show the relevant buttons for radio or XM.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

So far the dealer still has my vehicle. They had 8 updates to the "radio" is what I was told. Also the imperfections where the metal is wavy below the side windows is being blamed on me. NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT. Body guy tells service writer that "they must have tied something down that caused this." Well I DID NOT TIE ANYTHING DOWN. I want them to take ownership and it came from factory like this. The reality is that I don't want them to fix it because it is not that major. But I want them to take ownership of the defect in case the paint starts peeling. When I get car back I will take a picture of this imperfection and post for everyone to see. I am wondering if it was on cars produced at a certain time frame because I saw 2 other cars in service that had the same defect. But none of the new Ascents being sold now seem to have that problem. Looks like I won't get my car back till end of week.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
So far the dealer still has my vehicle. They had 8 updates to the "radio" is what I was told. Also the imperfections where the metal is wavy below the side windows is being blamed on me. NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT. Body guy tells service writer that "they must have tied something down that caused this." Well I DID NOT TIE ANYTHING DOWN. I want them to take ownership and it came from factory like this. The reality is that I don't want them to fix it because it is not that major. But I want them to take ownership of the defect in case the paint starts peeling. When I get car back I will take a picture of this imperfection and post for everyone to see. I am wondering if it was on cars produced at a certain time frame because I saw 2 other cars in service that had the same defect. But none of the new Ascents being sold now seem to have that problem. Looks like I won't get my car back till end of week.
I've only seen one update for the radio. Using STIS will show Ascent updates, and then search for similar, which will pull up TSBs for other models. Perhaps they're confused over what they're seeing and not realizing that the other TSBs they're seeing are for different models (eg: Outback).

As for the rest, perhaps try a different dealer?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That may be Robert. My husband thought it was very odd that there would be 8 updates on a 5 month old car. I have a new service writer who is inexperienced. And unfortunate, unlike his predecessor (who is now head of service), he seems to be afraid to say anything. I am happy with the dealership and the managers but this young man seems to be talking off the top of his head without investigating the issues. I hope I get my car back soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts