Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wow! that was a surprisingly good review! Most of them are low balling it, or praising it for the greatest of all time. This one is the most "real" i have seen.

from the article:

"After spending some time with the Ascent, it seems to shrink around you. It’s easy to drive and maneuver, even in tight situations. It wound up being surprisingly easy to park"

I was worried about the wife parking this behemoth but this is a good sign. I wonder if @Robert.Mauro will chime in on ownership and the like and give us a good write up.

Reactions: bluesube

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Prepping for my next adventure...

I was worried about the wife parking this behemoth but this is a good sign. I wonder if @Robert.Mauro will chime in on ownership and the like and give us a good write up.
I hate the Ascent. I am returning mine next week. For its first oil change, that is. And by "hate" I mean "utterly love". :tango_face_wink:

But yes, I found that if one leaves on all the driver assist technologies, and gets used to the width and taller hood, it seems to shrink down to size. At the 5,500 mile mark, it feels very much more like my Outback used to now.

The width is a very important factor when it comes to driving (found I was hanging on the passenger road lines a bit at first) as well as parking and doing U-Turns. It's got a half a foot bigger turning radius than my 2010 Outback (a foot more than the 2018 Outback), but combining that extra width and that wider turning radius means you may not quite clear that curb on the other side, and also need to watch out for that car next to you that you're pulling in next to. Pretty easy to get used to after a while - and I have the added benefits of both cameras.

The super light, super accurate steering really help with navigating tight spots. I had the advantage of having started my driving on a car with even lighter power steering (1963 Chevy with the hydraulic pump and arm driving a massive bi-directional hydraulic piston). That may take some getting used to for some, but it was pretty easy for me to slip back into using such steering.

Also, the leather seats are feeling a lot more comfortable than they did on day one. I have high hopes they'll continue to break in and feel more like the Touring seats I sat in during the auto shows - but they had butts in them for probably at least ten times the hours I've sat in mine.

One day, I will write up my thoughts... but not today. Getting in as much work as possible before my next adventure (this time to Vermont and the Green Mountains!!!) :grin:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
He got the TQ number and GC number wrong- How do miss that if your so informed?
I think it's more difficult for auto journalists to retain all those specs when they drive something new every week. But that bit might be strange since the guy actually owns a Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
86 Posts
from the article:

"After spending some time with the Ascent, it seems to shrink around you. It’s easy to drive and maneuver, even in tight situations. It wound up being surprisingly easy to park"

I had a little chuckle when I read this in the article because coming from a Grand Caravan it almost felt like driving a sports car, and I was hoping after driving it for a while it would feel less small :)

I don't think it matters if you're moving bigger or smaller, after some time that's just the new normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts