Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just damaged the driver side mirror cracking the mirror and cowling. The blind spot indicator seems to be working ok so I think the mirror core is undamaged. Before I take it to the dealer for a quote I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has had a similar experience and any advice for me. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

H.J.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I just damaged the driver side mirror cracking the mirror and cowling. The blind spot indicator seems to be working ok so I think the mirror core is undamaged. Before I take it to the dealer for a quote I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has had a similar experience and any advice for me. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

H.J.
Hi H.J.

If it were me, I'd look into the auto dimming mirror kit and install that to replace the cracked mirror. And, if it's only the cover piece of the outer part of the mirror, simply look for the proper color cover for your car and order it. Far cheaper than buying the whole mirror assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi H.J.

If it were me, I'd look into the auto dimming mirror kit and install that to replace the cracked mirror. And, if it's only the cover piece of the outer part of the mirror, simply look for the proper color cover for your car and order it. Far cheaper than buying the whole mirror assembly.
Thanks!

I've been a little sidetracked due to the holidays but been having difficulty figuring out which parts fit my vehicle. Is there a go to website for parts that you use?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Thanks!

I've been a little sidetracked due to the holidays but been having difficulty figuring out which parts fit my vehicle. Is there a go to website for parts that you use?
I use parts.subaru.com and pick my local dealer or Subaru Parts SuperStore or use a Subaru dealer that sells via eBay.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'd like to replace the shells on my Premium with the ones that have the integral turn signals. I had them on my previous car and believe the help a lot in merging situations. It looks like they only come in primer so I'd have to get them painted. Do you know if that's the case?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I'd like to replace the shells on my Premium with the ones that have the integral turn signals. I had them on my previous car and believe the help a lot in merging situations. It looks like they only come in primer so I'd have to get them painted. Do you know if that's the case?
Mine are satin grey. I don't think any come painted to match the body. Perhaps that's what you see in the pics? Or did it say primer?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think I got the parts figured out to add the turn signals to my Premeum. I need l/r top covers and the l/r turn lamp assemblies. The bottom covers are the same and are painted black. The Limited top covers come primed and need to be painted, $75 ea. The Touring top covers come in satin chrome, $142 ea. Turn lamp assemblies are $90 ea.

So, I could go with the Limited for a cost of $330 plus painting. Or the Touring $464 needing no paint. On-line discount prices would be $232 and $328 respectively.

I'm assuming the turn lamps will plug into the existing harness...needs some research.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
The Limited top covers come primed and need to be painted, $75 ea.
Thank you for this. I'm not a fan of my satin chrome.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I checked and there are 3 different door harnesses PNs, one each for the Premium, Limited and Touring. I removed the top cover of one of my mirrors and there is no place to plug in a turn signal or unused wires coming into the mirror assembly. Unless the plug for the turn signal is inside the door panel, it looks like I'm SOL on upgrading to the turn signals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI the part numbers for the primed Limited mirror top covers are 91059FL12A for the left and 91059FL13A for the right.

www.subarupartsdeal.com has them for $53 ea.
Thank you Merope!
My mirror top of the driver side just vanished someday (I am still wondering how). I checked with my local subaru dealer and they told me the part will cost me around $100 and painting will cost around $300, approx total somewhere around $400!
I stumbled upon this post while researching and the website you are pointing to, not only has mirror tops for $53, but also including the paint options. Just ordered it now, waiting to get the part shipped. Fingers crossed.
I am assuming it is a genuine parts website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update: Within 2 days of ordering the part, I received an email from the seller informing me that Subaru has stopped providing mirror tops with pre-painted options and only the primer mirror tops are available. I went ahead and confirmed the primed mirror top. I received it in a few days and was hoping the primer color would be close to black (my Ascent is black), but its not :(. Its some shade of gray. So now I am back hunting for a place that does a nice paint job at an affordable price. I definitely don't want to shell out $300 for painting at my local Subaru dealer.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
^^^ yeah. Satin chrome is a good option not needing paint as long as your Ascent has the mirror turn indicators.

What started me looking at this was that I wanted to add the turn indicators to my Premium, but apparently the wiring isn't present.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I'll bite, since nobody else did... :)
Why dont you like the satin chrome? These are standard on the Touring.
I'd just prefer a consistent scheme, so, I've got chrome, satin, and the main body color. Chrome would have been a silly choice by SoA, (and it's sad seeing it on other cars) because it would be annoying for oncoming drivers staring at the glare. Satin would look bad for the window trim. So, I understand the choices... but, I'd like to get rid of one of the two... or both.

Someone in the group has a Magnetite Grey Metallic Ascent, who blacked out all the chrome and satin. It looks amazing. I might consider that look. It's not for everyone though, lol. There was a time when "the more chrome, the better" was my opinion, but that was a number of decades ago. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
^^^ yeah. Satin chrome is a good option not needing paint as long as your Ascent has the mirror turn indicators.

What started me looking at this was that I wanted to add the turn indicators to my Premium, but apparently the wiring isn't present.
Hello,
I too was also looking into upgrading my side mirrors to the ones that have the turn signals...is this still not an option for us Premium owners? I wanted to double check if anything has changed for you

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Update: Within 2 days of ordering the part, I received an email from the seller informing me that Subaru has stopped providing mirror tops with pre-painted options and only the primer mirror tops are available. I went ahead and confirmed the primed mirror top. I received it in a few days and was hoping the primer color would be close to black (my Ascent is black), but its not :(. Its some shade of gray. So now I am back hunting for a place that does a nice paint job at an affordable price. I definitely don't want to shell out $300 for painting at my local Subaru dealer.
I would suggest to find a local powder coat paint shop and coordinate with them for when they are doing another paint job with the color you want. Your set up charge would be free or minimal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I haven't pu
Hello,
I too was also looking into upgrading my side mirrors to the ones that have the turn signals...
I haven't pursued this further after looking at the wiring situation. It doesn't appear the connection for the turn signal is available in the mirror shell of the Premium, and the door harness to which it would eventuall connect is a different PN than in the higher levels. Basically, I don't know which harnesses would be needed, if any, to hook them up. Of course you could probably splice in a wire at the front turn signal and run it to the mirror shell if you wanted to go that route. I believe the mirror indicator is LED so wouldn't draw much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.