Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My touring with 4500 miles in shop after 3 weeks of a flutter, squeal, and learching. It’s final act was a full light and sound show on the Instrumet panel. I had been filming videos to show my service person on my first service. They weren’t needed. They called to say I would be getting a new transmission. I just want to go back to my outback at this point. I’m losing confidence.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't have a transmission problem but did have fuel in my engine oil issue. 19 Ascent with less than 900 miles. Was in Dealer's shop for 3 weeks. SOA finally made decision after many different tests to replace fuel injector pump which runs off cam shaft in engine. SOA was "very" good to work with and Dealership was outstanding. If you haven't already, call SOA and speak with them to give you any ongoing updates.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
@CMKRVA

I think it's good that you're reporting your experience, a unfortunate one. I haven't heard a significant amount of tranny failure reported yet. If I were to put a number to the failure rate, it has to be 1/1000 ascent or 0.1%. Make sure the service report is conclusive; meaning that they should report the cause of the failure (or cause is unknown).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't have a transmission problem but did have fuel in my engine oil issue. 19 Ascent with less than 900 miles. Was in Dealer's shop for 3 weeks. SOA finally made decision after many different tests to replace fuel injector pump which runs off cam shaft in engine. SOA was "very" good to work with and Dealership was outstanding. If you haven't already, call SOA and speak with them to give you any ongoing updates.
I think that makes complete sense, assuming that the DI are in a normally open position. Let say that if the high pressure fuel pump is leaky, the fuel will continuously transported into the cylinder and into the crankcase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So my transmission has been doing the exact same thing, I also took video. It's nice to know they replaced without question buts pretty sad to have 6500 miles on a brand new car and the transmission craps out. I love this car but this is absolutely ridiculous. Makes me want to just get rid of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My touring with 4500 miles in shop after 3 weeks of a flutter, squeal, and learching. It’s final act was a full light and sound show on the Instrumet panel. I had been filming videos to show my service person on my first service. They weren’t needed. They called to say I would be getting a new transmission. I just want to go back to my outback at this point. I’m losing confidence.
I've had a similar issue at around 2000 rpm while applying light pressure on the gas pedal and going up hill. After three visits to the dealer and driving it myself to replicate the issue, they replaced the transmission. Now I have a new issue when I step on the gas from a stop. It lurches and bangs before finding a gear. There's also a whirring noise too. Back to the dealer it goes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mines with 8k miles is getting a new transmission

No towing
No heavy loads. 400lbs max of passengers/gear
Maybe 2 miles total off highway on gravel
Driven responsibly, maybe under 10 x I mashed the skinny pedal at wide open throttle

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
No push back from the dealer for changing out wheels/tires?
No, they’d have a very hard time proving a different set of wheels and tires caused CVT issues.

Especially a lighter than OEM set

If they can pull any data logs about throttle position, angles, etc it would show this vehicle has been properly broken in, and babied.

When parking I even shift to N, and set the parking brake, let it settle before shifting to P so there’s no clunk next time I drive it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts