Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4000k on my touring and took a 180 mile trip yesterday on a flat Florida interstate. Tried manual control of speed and using the ACC at 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, & 80 and got the same results (after a minute of so to let the car stabilize at the new speed): Result was when I shifted to manual I was in "gear" 7 and if I upshifted to 8 manually RPMs dropped by about 300 and the car seemed just as happy in 8. Average mpg for trip 24.5. I assume the more time spent in 8 would mean better gas mileage. Do I have a problem. Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Several people on this forum have said the same thing. You are not alone. I have not had an opportunity to test this on a long trip yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can confirm that in D, the car does not shift to 8, it has to be manually done. After 60 mph Id say its safe to switch to 8 since it does not bog the engine and also returns better fuel mileage. But you have to shift to manual mode to keep the car in 8, if you shift manual while in drive it will shift to 8 but after about a sec it drops back to 7.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I can confirm that in D, the car does shift to 8, but if you shift to manual it will go to 7th

going 60-65mph I have same RPM on D and manual 8

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I can confirm that in D, the car does shift to 8, but if you shift to manual it will go to 7th

I tend to believe that this is the case, but I haven't tested it myself so haven't commented on any of these threads.

Folks, don't read what you see here as fact without vetting it yourself, because YMMV.

·
Registered
213 Posts

I've tested this like crazy and even reviewed logs and what I see is that it does not shift to 8. I have done this with 6th gear going around 50 and switching back and fourth I stay in 6. Only if I go to 8 does it go back to 7 if I switch from manual to drive. When you get a chance go on the highway and go 60 or 65 and whichever you claim. Just hit your paddle shifter up and it with switch to 8. Watch your rpms it will go low and ina sec go back up because it switches back to 7. If it truly went to 8 then I should not be able to keep switching to 8 within seconds . I have even tested this at 100mph and I still get the same result. I will post a video later just to show

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've tested this like crazy and even reviewed logs and what I see is that it does not shift to 8. I have done this with 6th gear going around 50 and switching back and fourth I stay in 6. Only if I go to 8 does it go back to 7 if I switch from manual to drive. When you get a chance go on the highway and go 60 or 65 and whichever you claim. Just hit your paddle shifter up and it with switch to 8. Watch your rpms it will go low and ina sec go back up because it switches back to 7. If it truly went to 8 then I should not be able to keep switching to 8 within seconds . I have even tested this at 100mph and I still get the same result. I will post a video later just to show

shifting car from D to manual , will drop it to 7 and increase RPM (~300)

it is possible they change CVT calibration at some point , my car is late September delivery

·
Registered
213 Posts

shifting car from D to manual , will drop it to 7 and increase RPM (~300)

it is possible they change CVT calibration at some point , my car is late September delivery
Yes I agree shifting to D from manual goes to 7 and the rpms and throttle increase. But when I did testing I didnt go to manual mode. While I was in drive I hit the paddle and it shows an increase to 8 and rpms drop but the car then switches back to 7 because I can see the rpms jump up from 1500 to like 1900-2000 and it does this in about a second. This is why I'm saying in drive the car does not shift to 8 because I replicate this at high speeds and same result I can go to 8 see the rpms drop and at higher speeds you can actually feel the car downshift due to the higher increase in rpms. It is possible some people have different calibrations. My juke use to do this very thing, in drive it would actually show what gear you were in and it never went higher unless you switched to manual mode

·
Registered
684 Posts
at 60 MPH (in D) my car RPM=1500 and paddle shifter (+) is not making any changes
to my surprise (in D) paddle shifter (-) down shifts but only till next acceleration

·
Registered
213 Posts
at 60 MPH (in D) my car RPM=1500 and paddle shifter (+) is not making any changes
to my surprise (in D) paddle shifter (-) down shifts but only till next acceleration
Honestly I'll be jealous if your car shifts to 8. Tomorrow I'll take a video showing you what happens. I just looked at a video and at 70mph in gear 7 I'm at 2100 rpm and when I switch to 8 I drop to 1600

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Oh, it will shift to eighth...

The Ascent is governed at 130mph, due to the speed rating on the Falkens.

I can assure you that, under the right... conditions... the car WILL "shift" to Fake Eight.

I won't spell it out, and I am not suggesting that you read between the lines... but... :grin:

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Ascent is governed at 130mph, due to the speed rating on the Falkens.

I can assure you that, under the right... conditions... the car WILL "shift" to Fake Eight.

I won't spell it out, and I am not suggesting that you read between the lines... but...
Lol so I have not taken my car to the "right conditions" just because with the stock tires I noticed some rather concerning sway after a certain mph. I'm guessing from aerodynamics. It felt like I was in severe wind conditions and I was skating on ice, but just from your observation with every day driving does your car switch to 8?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Lol so I have not taken my car to the "right conditions" just because with the stock tires I noticed some rather concerning sway after a certain mph. I'm guessing from aerodynamics. It felt like I was in severe wind conditions and I was skating on ice, but just from your observation with every day driving does your car switch to 8?
Most of my driving is on Long Island, and sadly, the NY Metro Area max speed is 55mph, so, it was only on a long trip where I found a stretch of road that met those... conditions...

So, generally not. 7th is the max I see usually.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Most of my driving is on Long Island, and sadly, the NY Metro Area max speed is 55mph, so, it was only on a long trip where I found a stretch of road that met those... conditions...

So, generally not. 7th is the max I see usually.
I drive the same roads so I know. I go approx 60-70mph avg speed and it never goes to 8 I just switch it myself all the time. If I'm in drive I typically cruise around 1800 to 2200 rpm but if I manually switch I'm at about 1500 to 1700rpm

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
802 Posts
4000k on my touring and took a 180 mile trip yesterday on a flat Florida interstate. Tried manual control of speed and using the ACC at 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, & 80 and got the same results (after a minute of so to let the car stabilize at the new speed): Result was when I shifted to manual I was in "gear" 7 and if I upshifted to 8 manually RPMs dropped by about 300 and the car seemed just as happy in 8. Average mpg for trip 24.5. I assume the more time spent in 8 would mean better gas mileage. Do I have a problem. Thanks
To answer your question, no you don't have a problem. At highway speeds you are running in 8th gear until you switch to manual mode regardless of using the ACC or not.

I just checked this again and got the same results as last time - at 70mph in 8th gear the rpms on my car are about 1,750 from my best estimate whether using the ACC or not. As soon as I switch from D to M the rpms jump up to about 2,100 and the indicator shows 7th gear. After manual upshifting to 8th or returning the shifter to D the rpms go back to 1,750. I get the same results with ACC off or on.

I don't know why it down shifts to 7th but I think this is causing the confusion.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think it was just an arbitrary design decision. When you go manual is usually because you want to get more reaction from the car, so it makes sense to choose the closest gear that is shorter than what you are using at the moment, to get more response.
Normal transmissions would just leave whatever gear is selected, a CVT is somewhere in between "gears" so it needs to choose what to simulate. I think they just decided to get the car ready for action with a shorter gear. It's fine by me.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cvts don’t shift the manual pre set gear ratios available to the driver are simply ratios Subaru chose to give the driver for his/her use. The cvt by design is highly active in its ratio play no doubt tied to lots of “if then” code” tied to lots of track and real world testing with performance geeks looking at real computer data.

But I’m sure the car owner that might do his own brake services knows best. LOL

·
Registered
684 Posts
I drive the same roads so I know. I go approx 60-70mph avg speed and it never goes to 8 I just switch it myself all the time. If I'm in drive I typically cruise around 1800 to 2200 rpm but if I manually switch I'm at about 1500 to 1700rpm

To answer your question, no you don't have a problem. At highway speeds you are running in 8th gear until you switch to manual mode regardless of using the ACC or not.

I just checked this again and got the same results as last time - at 70mph in 8th gear the rpms on my car are about 1,750 from my best estimate whether using the ACC or not. As soon as I switch from D to M the rpms jump up to about 2,100 and the indicator shows 7th gear. After manual upshifting to 8th or returning the shifter to D the rpms go back to 1,750. I get the same results with ACC off or on.

I don't know why it down shifts to 7th but I think this is causing the confusion.
checked today again on D... 60 mph @1500, 70 mph @1750

·
Registered
213 Posts

checked today again on D... 60 mph @1500, 70 mph @1750
What model do u have premium, limited, touring. I'm guessing premium maybe the different size rims give different rpm ranges in gear I dunno

·
Registered
213 Posts
This from a video I took a while back switching thru gears. For me it's like 500 rpm drop. At 70 in 7th I'm just over 2000rpm n in 8th I'm at 1600. Sorry it's hard to tell what gear I'm in because of lights. You can actually see how big of difference my mpg is as well

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.