Subaru Ascent Forum banner

CVT Fluid - SOA748V0300

19K views 50 replies 10 participants last post by  Robert.Mauro 
#1 ·
Hi all, as I'd mentioned in other threads on the topic in the past, the Subaru Parts site had the wrong CVT fluid listed for the Ascent. I'd reported that to Camden (SoA HQ) when helping to resolve an issue with two toasted Ascent CVTs that had the wrong CVT fluid installed by service centers, and the entry for the erroneous CVT fluid on the parts site has now been fixed.

As I'd mentioned to those who found this as the compatible fluid, this is NOT the correct CVT fluid (and now no longer erroneously lists the Ascent):
This IS currently the correct CVT fluid (though, this page isn't quite fixed yet and lists no compatibility info):
  • https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/73184679/SOA748V0300.html
  • As of this writing, this is the only Subaru CVT fluid that's compatible with our TR690 CVTs.
  • Aftermarket CVT fluid designed for other TR690 CVTs may not be compatible with our CVT (just like how other Subaru TR690 CVT fluid isn't compatible with our TR690).
  • Currently, the only confirmed manufacturer of compatible CVT fluid is JX Nippon, and they only and exclusively make it for Subaru of America. I am waiting for clarification from Amsoil on theirs.
Part Number is: SOA748V0300
Warranty Part Number is: SOA635312

In the event you get your CVT serviced (or service it yourself - make sure you refer to the Service Manual for the correct procedures), make sure the proper CVT fluid is used, to prevent damage. Your dealership may not have it, since it's only used for the TR690s in the Ascent (and possibly in the new 2020 Outback turbo models, but I haven't yet verified that).

⇩ ⇩ ⇩ ⇩ ⇩ ⇩ ⇩ ⇩
ONE SHOULD ALWAYS VERIFY THERE IS NO NEWER/REPLACEMENT PART NUMBER
⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧

Subaru refines their products regularly. As of a few weeks ago, when I submitted for the part site to be corrected, this information was accurate. It may change in a few days or a few years.
ALWAYS CHECK ANY PART NUMBERS POSTED.

Using the incorrect Subaru CVT fluid, or aftermarket CVT fluids designed to meet the requirements of OTHER Subaru TR690 CVTs may damage your TR690 CVT (and has already damaged at least two that I know of). Our CVT is absolutely not compatible with the CVT fluid used in other TR690's.

I will work on getting the 0300 listing updated with compatibility listings next.

See less See more
#2 ·
Subaru has just recently released a new TSB with the updated "Recommended Materials" list.

As I predicted, the TR690 in the Outback XT will use the same CVT fluid as our TR690. Anyways, all dealerships now have the updated information.

#3 ·
Hi,
I have a big request to you. I´m from Europe and I have SUBARU Ascent PREMIER (bought in Canada but it is the same like TOuring in the US) MY2020, there is high torque CVT, VIN: 4S4WMARD4L3429070.
I have an issue with my CVT where I have right now already a quite strong vibration during slight acceleration etc. ANd When I asked in SUBARU Czech Republi, or in Europe, they told me only that there is whole life fluid and that it.
So please could you let me know which fluid is for my CVT?
and idealy where I can buy it?

I´m thinking to change fluid like a first step and will see if it will be better.

because there are 2 manifestatios of NOK working of CVT.
--> vibration from CVT dusring slight acceleration
--> torque vectoring even when it is not needed . like during light start on dry and clean tarmac with light turning.

thnx a lot for the support in advance.

#32 ·
Hi,
I have a big request to you. I´m from Europe and I have SUBARU Ascent PREMIER (bought in Canada but it is the same like TOuring in the US) MY2020, there is high torque CVT, VIN: 4S4WMARD4L3429070.
I have an issue with my CVT where I have right now already a quite strong vibration during slight acceleration etc. ANd When I asked in SUBARU Czech Republi, or in Europe, they told me only that there is whole life fluid and that it.
So please could you let me know which fluid is for my CVT?
and idealy where I can buy it?

I´m thinking to change fluid like a first step and will see if it will be better.

because there are 2 manifestatios of NOK working of CVT.
--> vibration from CVT dusring slight acceleration
--> torque vectoring even when it is not needed . like during light start on dry and clean tarmac with light turning.

thnx a lot for the support in advance.

I suggest the OP contact John Hurtig who at least from a couple of years ago ran Subaru Europe.

#4 ·
You need to have the recall performed, which includes reprogramming the CVT's TCM. It's possible your AWD Transfer Clutch may also need to be replaced. The CVT fluid is the least likely cause.

Regardless, to answer your question, it doesn't matter where you are - the only compatible fluid is the one in my original post. Anything else WILL destroy the CVT in your car.

#5 ·
You need to have the recall performed, which includes reprogramming the CVT's TCM. It's possible your AWD Transfer Clutch may also need to be replaced. The CVT fluid is the least likely cause.

Regardless, to answer your question, it doesn't matter where you are - the only compatible fluid is the one in my original post. Anything else WILL destroy the CVT in your car.
Hi
To be 100% sure. only one compatible fluid for my CVT is SOA748V0300. Correct?

best regards,

#10 ·
Since the Ascent isn't sold outside of North America (other than some vehicles in the Philippines) a challenge you may run into relative to the current recall is not having an authorized dealer in your geography that has the necessary custom tools and training to actually perform the recall. So keep pushing for it, but with an open mind and some patience.

#11 ·
Hi
Of course that I have all this rhings in my mind.
From the othes side I'm working in the automotive industry for more than 20 years and know how some things works or even think that I know 😄
Nevertheless there is hoin about safety recall which is the strictiest for the manufacture and they must to react. So I hope so that it will be like this.
Because on the other side when car manufacture don't want to solve safety recalls in other area like morth america for exampl, they must inform you about.
Lets take case when you are on vacation with your family and your car in Europe and something like this happend.
Will see how it works in reality and what will happend.
Problem is that I try to communicate and solve it with Subaru EU really long time and behaviozr of the car is worst and worst.
So I'm open mind but I need solve this issue

#12 ·
I think a problem is that they probably don't have the required tools for this particular recall.

#13 ·
you are right that they´ll not have a required tools for it. But there could be 1 set of required tools enought fo whole Europe for example. Which could be send to the location / SUBARU service where it is needed for check, so you could check all cars for example, included in this recall in 1 month. Because there is not so much US SUBARU Cars in the EU. In czech there is something like 5 pcs of the Ascent and not all of them will be included in to this recall.
In my SUBARU service which is the biggest in Czech Republic and there is even central office of SUBARU CZ they is only my ASCENT and other one customer with US Outback 2,4 which is included in this recall, so in one service could be check 2 cars in one day and then this tools could be send to the next location. Because as you know there is going about reprogramming of the control unit for Gear box and in the case when there is some demage in the gear box there is change of whole gear box.
But I need some action from their side. It could be really bad to stay with car 1 000 km from home with damaged gear box when you know that you tried to communicate with service long months and there was no reaction or slight reaction.
and when we are talking about special tools. As I check description of the tools for this recall there is going about special screw with hole for videoscope. So teoretically there could be use othere videoscope which service use for engine inspection etc. minus of this will be that it will take a bit longer time till mechanic finde a good position of the videoscope to check chain inside the gearbox.
bigger problem I see is the issue with reprogramming of the control unit. becuase there could be issue that Europe VAG computers could not connect completely to the car. I fount this when I install remote start in to the Asccent and there was necessary to proceed with last step to program control unit. So I get a service description, translate it for the service and give it to them. At the end they was sucessful but instead of 30 min it took 6 hours to the mechanic because there was different structure of the menu in th EU computer with different steps etc. so mechanic had to find other way how to release it for car control unit.
That´s it :cool:
nevertheless there is even some way, but somebody have to want it :)

#14 ·
It's not just the tools, but also the training to do the borescope inspection correctly and accurately. Hopefully, the tools can be provided and, perhaps, a qualified individual can get trained within the geography to be sure there can be support for the very few Ascents that are actually physically in the EU because of individuals personally importing them.

#17 ·
There's never been a quart bottle, sadly. That's a warranty reimbursement part number so dealers can get warranty reimbursement by the amount they use.

I listed it for those who get warranty work done, so they can make sure the correct fluid is used.

Some dealers will sell it by the quart if you bring a suitable container for it.

#18 · (Edited)
I’m having the same issue with my 19 premium Ascent. I was successful in coordinating with Subaru of Germany to have a dealership out here in having the recall performed. They said the computer and scope were clean. The shuddering throughout the vehicle intermittently still occurs and I have experienced what I would equate to temporary stalling / engine power loss when driving. I’m at a standstill and I found this thread, because the dealership suggested it could be the CVT oil the states put in- this is the third transmission I am on. Is this the correct oil? Should I forgo the CVT oil and focus more on the other parts you mentioned?
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Document

#19 ·
@J g you CANNOT use that CVT fluid in the Ascent. It WILL destroy it. You MUST replace it with the CVT fluid that I posted in my OP. You WILL need to do a FULL flush of the CVT and cooler and lines.

If that fluid was put in, you may have already damaged clutch packs and slipped the chain. I've already had to help United States owners who had dealerships put in that fluid and toasted their CVT's in the process (it's actually what prompted my OP).

I’m having the same issue with my 19 premium Ascent. I was successful in coordinating with Subaru of Germany to have a dealership out here in having the recall performed. They said the computer and scope were clean. The shuddering throughout the vehicle intermittently still occurs and I have experienced what I would equate to temporary stalling / engine power loss when driving. I’m at a standstill and I found this thread, because the dealership suggested it could be the CVT oil the states put in- this is the third transmission I am on. Is this the correct oil? Should I forgo the CVT oil and focus more on the other parts you mentioned? View attachment 19913

#20 ·
its billing part outside of America not actual P# ...
no way to tell if its new Subaru CVTF LV -Amber Color for
CVT Fluid for ALL Ascent and 2020+ Legacy / Outback (TR690) 2.4L Turbo models

or OLD Subaru High Torque CVTF -Orange Color
For 2014 and later Forester Turbo, 2015 and later Legacy / Outback H-6 and WRX (TR690)
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

#21 ·
its billing part outside of America not actual P# ...
no way to tell if its new Subaru CVTF LV -Amber Color for
CVT Fluid for ALL Ascent and 2020+ Legacy / Outback (TR690) 2.4L Turbo models
Yes there is. I looked it up on the foreign parts site. It's the old TR690 fluid that WILL kill our TR690's.

#27 ·
Ok, great. Proper fluid and numbers.

That makes me lean towards the AWD transfer clutch. They will need the proper fluid to refill once they replace the clutch pack. I'm still trying to find the correct part number for Germany.

#31 ·
I don't know, I am still digging. If I find one, then I will find the proper CVT fluid for J g. I'll be sure to post what I find.

OR, if someone else can find me an OBXT (2021 or newer) or WRX (2022 or newer) in Germany or nearby, I'd appreciate it. Got tons of "day job" stuff to do still.

#33 · (Edited)
I don't know, I am still digging. If I find one, then I will find the proper CVT fluid for J g. I'll be sure to post what I find.

Do I'd appreciate it. Got tons of "day job" stuff to do still.
I appreciate you looking into that, sounds like I’m dead in the water until I can obtain the right CVT oil.

Is it necessary to replace the AWD transfer clutch? Or can I keep running it

I may be able to get these over here by way of APO- would they work?
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Product Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

#41 ·
Yep, a TR580 is pretty different than a TR690.

In Outback, someone did a characteristics comparison, and the fluid isn't remotely the same.

#42 ·
Well, I've let them know AGAIN... let's see how they respond. I will follow up with an email if the response isn't appropriate, and will share that here, publicly, for the world to see, so that if anyone does make the mistake and destroys their TR690, they can refer to the messages to have proof that Amsoil was notified.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

#43 ·
A bunch of you have asked about Amsoil's multi-purpose CVT fluid, and I told you it wasn't compatible since 2018. THEY told you it was - since 2018. Two people reported toasted CVT's since then.

Amsoil was lying. Here it is, in writing. They are claiming they just recently updated it to be compatible. Yet they've literally told people in the past that it was tested and compatible, when it wasn't.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

Considering they spent so many years selling incompatible fluid, I don't believe them.

#44 · (Edited)
From SilverOnyx over in the Outback forums...
New Provisions also is repackaging the new Genuine Subaru High Torque LV CVT fluid (clear/amber) in quarts.

NOTE:
It's probably cheaper to shop around for a 5 gallon drum from a dealership.

#46 ·
No. The only transmission fluid in the whole world that's approved for use in the Ascent's implementation of the TR690 transmission is only available from Subaru. You cannot use any other brand's product or even any other Subaru provided fluid other than the specific one in the Ascent's specifications. As I noted in your New Member Welcome thread, this is going to be a bit of a challenge for you having an Ascent outside of the area it's made and marketed to. (US/Canada/Philippines) Hopefully, a Subaru dealer in your geography can source the correct fluid for you. I will also warn that the smallest quantity it's sold for here in the US is five gallons.

#47 ·
SOOOO... after their email admitting to me that they lied/made-up compatibility for the Ascent/OBXT/OBW and finally fixed their CVT fluid to be compatible and changed their website, guess what Amsoil has done?

They have again REMOVED the compatibility for the HT-CVTF-LV

Toldjaso.

As @SilverOnyx shared over in OB forum, this sums it up nicely.

Hi,

Only to close this subject at least from the point of view that we can get in Europe from aftermarket lubricants, I get answers from the main brands, Castrol, Fuchs, Total, Shell, Motul, Mobil and Liqui Moly also local Repsol and Cepsa, all of them recognize that their CVT fluis do not meet Subaru standart specs on CVTF3. In adittion of it I had a chat with Mr Keith Clark, technical director of ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association) and he said same wise words as @SilverOnyx :

"Regarding your query, it is my experience on CVT applications to follow the manufacturer's recommended fluid specifications based on model year and application. Especially with Subaru, modifications to the control strategy and internal components require the fluid viscosity and friction modifier additive package to remain as specified for proper transmission performance throughout all operating conditions. The wrong fluid causes incorrect pressure control, torque converter clutch chatter, CVT chain slippage, and other functional concerns. I realize that this is an inconvenience based on what you have shared, but do everything in your power to get the correct fluid in this unit, or you will be better off not changing it at all."

I think is more than clear, incorrect fluid is a huge risk.

For those of you who don't know, ATRA is the pre-eminent experts on everything transmission related. As a matter of fact, I've learned a LOT about Subaru CVTs from their training seminars.

#49 ·
problem is if you look up by car its stil listed
View attachment 23670
So here's a question for the internet lawyers here, I didn't see any obvious disclaimers on the AMSOIL webpage, other than "we can only make claims for our products, not others" and "compare to manufacturer recommendations". So if somebody were to use this product and fragged their CVT afterwards, could they sue AMSOIL for the damage?

I have no doubt that AMSOIL has enough lawyers on staff/retainer to make it an uphill battle for any individual, but just something to consider.

It does have a 5 star rating, but they all seem to be from Nissan and Honda owners.

This post has been deleted