Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
As far as your other concerns, sorry, no guarantees in life...ever.
True, but I'm not expecting that. Subaru has those of us affected driving a vehicle with harness that has a know manufacturing defect, one that potentially can degrade and cause a transmission failure. As I said, I'd rather have a harness without a known deffect than the extended slip warranty.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
True, but I'm not expecting that. Subaru has those of us affected driving a vehicle with harness that has a know manufacturing defect, one that potentially can degrade and cause a transmission failure. As I said, I'd rather have a harness without a known deffect than the extended slip warranty.
I can appreciate your concerns as an owner. The dilemma is that the "defect" has not mainfested itself in every unit. I had my control body replaced but not the harness at first. I expected the harness to go out but I had to wait until that manifested, then SOA replaced it no problem. Did you happen to purchase the gold plus plan? While at your expense, that would take care of your concerns. Your asking a company to expend resources on a potential issue with your vehicle that may never arise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
its not entitled .. you have to have a problem prior to 100k .. it is no different if 2020 have problem prior to 60k
Ok, "entitled" is too strong a word, so lets say "will consider".

I find myself driving less now but I usually keep may cars for about 8-10 years. It would have been nice to know the Ascent would have had a transmission warranty for that period of time. I considered buy an extended warranty for the Ascent, but I have purchased Subaru Gold Warranties in the past for my 05 Legacy GT, 08 Tribeca and 13 Legacy 3.6R and only used it once for the 05 Legacy to repair the AC. I think I got more value out of the rental car codes that came with the warranty than actually warranty.

If your transmission ever failed again within a reasonable timeframe and it was not due to anything you did, my guess is that Subaru might still cover it under a "hidden or secret warranty". This gives Subaru the opportunity of deciding whether to warranty a repair on a case by case basis rather than blanket coverage. Given Subaru's propensity to do the right thing and their good record on customer service, I wouldn't worry too much.
I agree Subaru's customer service is usually excellent. I kind of been through this before with Subaru with my 98 Legacy and the dreaded head gasket problem. Subaru could not cover it under warranty (5yr but had 130k miles), but offered to split the cost of the repair. And they give me gourmet cookies and 2 blue-tooth headphones for buying the Ascent. Again nice touch.

But when it came time to get the transmission repaired on the Ascent, it was a very different. Subaru would not acknowledge anything wrong with the transmission and wanted the dealer to release the car back to me. I am grateful to my dealer as they insisted Subaru reevaluate the Ascent. The service manager took the car out for a test drive and confirmed the transmission was slipping but did not have any instruments hooked up to record the event. When he came back to the dealer to call me, he was told of the WUV07 recall, while on the phone with me.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Got my letter today. Interesting that it says you are disqualified if your transmission was replaced as part of the WUV-07 recall or if it is replaced under this extended coverage. Mine was replaced prior to the recall and under the normal warranty coverage so the extended warranty should apply.

·
Registered
57 Posts
perhaps those that got letters give the year and build date to help others
2020 touring build date 12/26/19
no letter so far
what years and build dates does this include thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
You are not affected by it. It's 2019 Subaru Ascents prior to the new harness design. It's vehicles built from February 22nd 2018 through May 7th, 2019.

Details are here:
2019-11-22: CVT TCM Update To Address Chain Slip...

perhaps those that got letters give the year and build date to help others
2020 touring build date 12/26/19
no letter so far
what years and build dates does this include thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got the letter last week. If I read it right, they basically cover one instance of failure within 100k miles. If that's the case, if fails, get it replaced and trade/sell it.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
I got the letter last week. If I read it right, they basically cover one instance of failure within 100k miles. If that's the case, if fails, get it replaced and trade/sell it.
Along with the CVT, they replace the harness, which will be what caused the failure, so, with the root cause gone...

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Where can I find when mine was built ?
Go here:

Put in your VIN. If it says Ascent CVT Chain Slip: Incomplete then take it in to complete the recall and wait for your letter. If it says Ascent CVT Chain Slip: Completed (like mine), then wait for your letter.

If it does not mention CVT recall at all, then your Ascent isn't in the affected group.
That means you do NOT have the harness that damaged some CVT's, and do not get the extended warranty coverage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2019 is getting a new transmission under the normal warranty as I type this. Built May 2019. Dropped it at the dealer and discribed the symptoms. Two hours later they called and said the transmission needs to be replaced. I was not aware of the info in this thread. I did get the programing update last spring. I plan to ask Subaru for an extended warranty on the entire vehicle as this is my first Subaru.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just received letter confirming that Subaru will now warranty the transmission 10/100000. Of course with some caveats that will apply to some who have already had a transmission replacement. Nice to see they are doing right by the customer.
I haven’t received the letter yet, but I did have my transmission replaced twice!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
In addition to extending the warranty on the transmission, why doesn't Subaru redesign the transmission so it does not fail? I can appreciate folks who love the Subaru brand, but if I had a replacement and it also failed at 65k miles, I would be livid.

If it is indeed the harness, how can there be owners who have had several transmission replacements?Obviously, it's more than just the harness. Subaru is putting a bandaid on a severed artery - not sufficient.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
In addition to extending the warranty on the transmission, why doesn't Subaru redesign the transmission so it does not fail? I can appreciate folks who love the Subaru brand, but if I had a replacement and it also failed at 65k miles, I would be livid.

If it is indeed the harness, how can there be owners who have had several transmission replacements?Obviously, it's more than just the harness. Subaru is putting a bandaid on a severed artery - not sufficient.
I am assuming you are accurate in the multiple transmission replacement claim, however the only time multiple transmissions would have been replaced would have been early on when the old harnesses were still being used and a new transmission went bad due to the old harness. There has been nothing wrong with the transmissions themselves. Barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I am assuming you are accurate in the multiple transmission replacement claim, however the only time multiple transmissions would have been replaced would have been early on when the old harnesses were still being used and a new transmission went bad due to the old harness. There has been nothing wrong with the transmissions themselves. Barking up the wrong tree.
Sorry, I got my threads mixed up. Some guy had his fourth (4th) headunit in his 2018 Outback replaced. My apologies. But I am still mad at Subaru for installing a garbage head unit in my 2018 Outback.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Sorry, I got my threads mixed up. Some guy had his fourth (4th) headunit in his 2018 Outback replaced. My apologies. But I am still mad at Subaru for installing a garbage head unit in my 2018 Outback.
No worries. From what I have read head units in general are the bane of every auto manufacturer and owner. Of course we ask a lot of them and of course there frequently are problems as they integrate and present information from many sources.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
A couple of people on the Outback forum had the transmissions replaced on their 2020 XT Outbacks.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts