Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After a few hours of light wheeling: dirt roads with a few mud holes, my baby lost power to the wheels and coasted to a stop on the side of the highway. Now she's at the dealership for a new warranty CVT.

The tow guy said he couldn't have gone into the woods, so at least she got us out before failing.

Anyone else with CVT issues?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Also curious about how many miles you have on the car, if you had the trans update done, and if you had any shuttering or any odd characteristics beforehand. By the way I really like how you decked out the car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what year model?
2019 Base Model (which means no external CVT cooler found on the others).
I asked the dealer about adding a CVT cooler with the new CVT, using parts for a limited or whatever, obviously at my expense, and you would think I'm speaking latin. May have to just go with an aftermarket like a Mishimoto, although I'm not even sure heat was my problem in this case.

Also curious about how many miles you have on the car, if you had the trans update done, and if you had any shuttering or any odd characteristics beforehand. By the way I really like how you decked out the car.
Thanks! About 27.5k if I recall correctly, current on all recalls I think. Immediately before failure I felt it losing and gaining power at the wheels a few times, maybe a few shutters...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
2019 Base Model (which means no external CVT cooler found on the others).
I asked the dealer about adding a CVT cooler with the new CVT, using parts for a limited or whatever, obviously at my expense, and you would think I'm speaking latin. May have to just go with an aftermarket like a Mishimoto, although I'm not even sure heat was my problem in this case.

Thanks! About 27.5k if I recall correctly, current on all recalls I think. Immediately before failure I felt it losing and gaining power at the wheels a few times, maybe a few shutters...
Did you have the wiring harness replaced and if so at what mileage?

·
Registered
41 Posts
View attachment 11389

After a few hours of light wheeling: dirt roads with a few mud holes, my baby lost power to the wheels and coasted to a stop on the side of the highway. Now she's at the dealership for a new warranty CVT.

The tow guy said he couldn't have gone into the woods, so at least she got us out before failing.

I replace my cvt at 33000ml

·
Registered
41 Posts
View attachment 11389

where did you buy that roof cargo? and grill? please provide thee link. I want too

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where did you buy that roof cargo? and grill? please provide thee link. I want too
which rhino model is this that fits the Ascent? curious minds want to know.
It's the Pioneer SX Platform 76*49 Link. Any of the SX platforms clamp to factory rails. I'm eventually going to try and pull the factory rails and add rhino tracks and legs because the double stack adds a little height.

The grill is home made, I ordered a spare Ascent grill on eBay, cut out the middle bars, painted it black, and ziptied This in the middle. This was the tutorial I followed:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
It's the Pioneer SX Platform 76*49 Link. Any of the SX platforms clamp to factory rails. I'm eventually going to try and pull the factory rails and add rhino tracks and legs because the double stack adds a little height.

The grill is home made, I ordered a spare Ascent grill on eBay, cut out the middle bars, painted it black, and ziptied This in the middle. This was the tutorial I followed:

so I wonder why the Rhino website indicates that the Pioneer system is not compatible with the Ascent? How did you end up reconciling this?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,180 Posts
I asked the dealer about adding a CVT cooler with the new CVT, using parts for a limited or whatever, obviously at my expense, and you would think I'm speaking latin. May have to just go with an aftermarket like a Mishimoto,
If you decide to add a cooler after the trans is replaced, you'll probably need to change the CVT fluid in order to get the proper purge/fill to prevent air blockages from the added plumbing and cooling capacity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts