Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

In my old WRX, I used to have a Pitaka iPhoneX magnetic cell phone mount that was anchored to the passenger front seat bolt (I’ve always preferred my phones to be mounted a little bit lower than the dash vent level).

When I moved over to the Ascent, one of the things I started to think about was where to mount the phone. Now, I know that there’s a little recessed shelf below the climate controls and just above the USB ports, but I don’t really like dumping my phone in there. For one, I can’t really see it and there’s a high likelihood that I would forget it in the car. And yes, I realize that there is apple car play with messaging function through the head unit...

After evaluating the dash setup, I decided that the best place to mount the cell phone (for me) would be just to the left of the recessed shelf, also near the level of the gear shift knob, but above the level of my thigh (luckily I’m a relatively thin dude).

How to best go about this? Well I ended up making a paper template based on what I wanted to do and then transferring the design over to a $3 thin 0.032” x 4” x 10” aluminum sheet that I got from the local hardware store. Then I dremeled the pattern into the sheet and made some strategic bends. I then embedded the Pitaka magnetic phone mount from my old car setup. It’s still a work in progress, but initial test fitting and usage on my commute today seems to be pretty much what I was looking for. Just putting it out there in case anyone else has similar ideas.

Happy Motoring!
-Chris

Edit: trying to upload photos but the enhanced forum is acting very wonky and not saving my login attempts. I’ll get them up shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm still thinking about slightly contouring / trimming down the visible aluminum parts, and eventually, I will probably add some heavy duty 3M double sided stick tape to it to reduce vibrations and/or any potential shifting (although it seems to be doing pretty well so far just by friction alone). Might powdercoat sections of it too...

-C

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Why would you need to see the phone while you're driving?
Normally I don't, but it's nice to be able to tell at a glance if certain notifications are popping up. We have ARLO and RING and ADT messages about various cameras and sensors around the house (and there seems to be an uptick in our surrounding neighborhood of random people scoping out whether people are home or not, as well as burglaries).

Also for clarification, most of the time while driving, the phone is off in my belt holster. I do not plug it in to the USB ports normally. This also limits any ability to see messages while I’m driving (for better or for worse). The only real time I typically take the phone out is to charge it. And as I mentioned earlier, if I do need to take it out and plug it in to charge, there’s a better chance of me not forgetting it’s there if I can mount it on a holder like this (as opposed to sliding it into the little recessed cubby slot).

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am a big fan of ProClip USA's mounts. They're expensive, but they seem to be solid.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty cool. How does the mount stay in place in the recessed shelf with out sliding out?
At the moment? It's friction held in place (helps that there's a little rubberized pad on the bottom of that shelf area).
Seems quite sturdy though.

Orestes85 is correct however, in that cell phone usage while driving is generally frowned upon and even in testing has been shown to be as distracting/dangerous as being intoxicated / DUI. I see plenty of people in LA who are driving the freeways while one hand is actually holding onto their cell phone (or even doing things like putting on makeup, etc..)... DESPITE a specific hands free device law!

Again, I primarily wanted a place to mount the phone while it gets charged where I won't forget it.
My particular phone is paired with the car for phone calls and BT audio (but not for messages typically, since that would require it to be plugged in all the time while driving IIRC, and as I mentioned, the overwhelming majority of the time, the phone sits in my belt holster off/on standby).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Why would you need to see the phone while you're driving?
Without using Android Auto or Car Play it would be for the same reasons you would need to see the head unit display: navigation/traffic, music selection, Torque or other OBDII app, etc. Having the phone mounted conveniently for that use, and not texting while driving, is essentially the same as using the built in vehicle interfaces and doesn't have to be a distraction.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unsure of your rationale. You state that you want the phone visible, so you want the mount. You could plug it in and leave it in the cubby but you are afraid of forgetting it there (I have forgotten it there twice already. Strange for me). But I don’t understand why you wouldn’t use your mount but still plug it in and use the benefit of car play? The only difference is plugging/unplugging it. As for the battery, my iphonex doesn’t appear to care if I charge just overnight or repeatedly by plugging in when I get into my Ascent. I find car play advantages. I frequently voice text with my wife on the way home from work and rarely, very rarely have to look at the screen. I use the phone for navigation and like that it pops up on the big screen. Other than playing with the phone itself or hating to deal with plugging and unplugging when getting in and out, I’m not sure what the extra bracket gets for you. Just a very humble opinion. Love your desire to craft a solution.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't ever see the need seeing the phone, like in the old days. When plugged into USB, I use AA for everything and it is on the big screen. Works great. And when not plugged in, it is in my pocket or in a cubby hole, and BT works just fine for phone and related functions.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't ever see the need seeing the phone, like in the old days. When plugged into USB, I use AA for everything and it is on the big screen. Works great. And when not plugged in, it is in my pocket or in a cubby hole, and BT works just fine for phone and related functions.
He may just want to see the phone for whatever reason makes him comfortable..... it seems like the point/focus of the thread would be his phone holder or other ideas for phone holders ......
Whatever the subjective motivation/reason for using one......:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
298 Posts
He may just want to see the phone for whatever reason makes him comfortable..... it seems like the point/focus of the thread would be his phone holder or other ideas for phone holders ......
Whatever the subjective motivation/reason for using one......:tango_face_wink:
It just seems like such a waste to not take advantage of the car's connection features. I think, too, some people just don't realize they no longer need a phone holder. So far, peeps have talked about setting one up (ugly and clunky accessory), but not given a reason, or what they would use it for. I think they just don't know...

·
Registered
583 Posts
So far, peeps have talked about setting one up (ugly and clunky accessory), but not given a reason, or what they would use it for. I think they just don't know...
Use it to hold their phone ?:tango_face_wink:
Maybe they want to do both ,use Bluetooth(etc.) and see their phone ?
I understand what you are saying but it just seems like too many why questions and not enough about how to do comments.....
Everybody’s going to have opinions ....maybe more “how to” ideas.....
That’s all.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Use it to hold their phone ?:tango_face_wink:
Maybe they want to do both ,use Bluetooth(etc.) and see their phone ?
I understand what you are saying but it just seems like too many why questions and not enough about how to do comments.....
Everybody’s going to have opinions ....maybe more “how to” ideas.....
That’s all.....
It's not an opinion, am just trying to help. When you are connected through USB, you can do everything that you could in BT, and much more. That's why I am asking. If I knew what he wanted to do, then maybe I could suggest how to do it without having to get an ugly phone holder.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's not an opinion, am just trying to help. When you are connected through USB, you can do everything that you could in BT, and much more. That's why I am asking. If I knew what he wanted to do, then maybe I could suggest how to do it without having to get an ugly phone holder.
Okie dokie......................
I thought they were just sharing an idea for a phone holder.:tango_face_surprise

1 - 20 of 37 Posts