Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Little custom intake I'm working on using some old wrx parts I had laying around . Waiting for some brackets to secure the heatshield slash box. So far everything is working great and the car drives great. Intake sounds great nothing super loud and the turbo spool adds a nice bonus. I'll get some video clips when everything is in place

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully by next week, I'll have everything complete and hopefully I get my strut brace fr nameless so the engine bay looks nice

·
Registered
913 Posts
How much did you have to modify the kit? I've been thinking about a CAI for a while now!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well,

If there actually is an increased air flow, ala-SPT type improvement, you are going to need a tune to compensate for it. Who's going to do that? I would be interested in before and after data logs as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,

If there actually is an increased air flow, ala-SPT type improvement, you are going to need a tune to compensate for it. Who's going to do that? I would be interested in before and after data logs as well.
I doubt a tune is needed since I didnt really change much. Maf is in same location, stock intake tubing is being used, all difference is that instead of a box theres a cone filter now. I doubt there are any substantial gains even if I did do a tune with this. I really did it for looks and sound. The car drives great with it on, butt dyno says there is more power downlow but remains the same once you go high in the rpm range. Just got bored with the platform, thought there would be more after market support so I decided to do my own builds

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt a tune is needed since I didnt really change much. Maf is in same location, stock intake tubing is being used, all difference is that instead of a box theres a cone filter now. I doubt there are any substantial gains even if I did do a tune with this. I really did it for looks and sound. The car drives great with it on, butt dyno says there is more power downlow but remains the same once you go high in the rpm range. Just got bored with the platform, thought there would be more after market support so I decided to do my own builds
Just to edit I'm sure a tune would be helpful but that's the reason I didnt do the whole intake tubing because I know If I do that a tune will be required which is not available. So i just tried to keep everything simple, its be on the car for about 200 miles and no CEL so I'm happy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I should have been more specific.

Minor changes, with basic diameters and dimesion runs and bends, all the same, you are correct. I have run at least 1/2 a dozen different "intakes". This one my 3rd generation of my own design. On the Red Car, my 2005 OBXT

This is the end result. A thermo-shielded, cool fed, cone filtered, factory diameter, factory bends CKE custom intake.

What I am suggesting is:

Anything beyond playing around does need long term tuning. I mess around all the time. My tuner hates it. I still do it because, that's why I work with XRT. When I settle into a set up. I get a fine tune.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update on the intake? any issues? I don't understand how they don't have aftermarket short ram or cold air intakes for the ascents yet? The outback has the same platform too so there must be some kind of demand?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The factory intake is a "cold air intake". It uses fresh air from the front of the grille, outside the engine compartment. There really aren't any objective gains to be had here. Note Cobb's post regarding the factory intake: "it flows better than it needs to already."
Thanks for the reply. I have read many(every?) post here regarding the CAI and am decently experienced tinkering with my 1995 Acura Integra back in the 'fast and furious' days lol. I am mainly looking for that specific whooosh and deep intake sound the handful of times I actually punch it alone in my family hauler. To be honest even if I lost some horsepower but gained the sound I would still be very happy. Possibly few more years when midlife crisis happens and I convince myself and the wife I(we) need something quick/sporty etc I'll just get a Tesla plaid and be done with.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,156 Posts
I understand (and also like the whoosh sound). I used to flip the air cleaner lid on my Oldsmobile with a Quadrajet carb to hear those secondaries kick in.

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that those sort of open element intakes are called CAIs or cold air intakes. In reality, they're actually WAIs or HAIs...warm air intakes or hot air intakes because they're just sucking in all the hot air from under the hood (and also air that's been pulled through the radiator, depending on filter location). Some systems are better than others at trying to isolate the filter from the hot air with sheetmetal guards or panels, etc.

I doubt there's much of a "whoosh" sound to be had with the Ascent. Much of that "honk" is the sound of the air being sucked through the throttle body and a certain resonance in the system that is produced. "Short ram" intakes make the loudest noises, shortening the intake tract to be as short and direct as possible. Our Ascent, however, features a pretty complex path from original intake at the grille scoop to the throttle body. It goes through the relatively short ducting to the air box and filter, is then piped down to the turbo, piped up from the turbo to the back of the intercooler, makes a nearly 180 degree turn to flow forward through the intercooler (itself a maze of small chambers design to provide good surface area with incoming cool air), and then to the throttle body. We don't really have a smooth and straight path from filter to throttle body, and most of that is part of the turbocharger and intercooler system (nothing an aftermarket intake would replace anyway).

In other words, I don't think you'd hear a lot of whoosh...other than perhaps more noise from the turbo. That might be a good thing if you're looking for it.

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
78 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have read many(every?) post here regarding the CAI and am decently experienced tinkering with my 1995 Acura Integra back in the 'fast and furious' days lol. I am mainly looking for that specific whooosh and deep intake sound the handful of times I actually punch it alone in my family hauler. To be honest even if I lost some horsepower but gained the sound I would still be very happy. Possibly few more years when midlife crisis happens and I convince myself and the wife I(we) need something quick/sporty etc I'll just get a Tesla plaid and be done with.
I think I'm there (midlife crisis) I've never played with brand new car, like with this one........lol?

·
Registered
667 Posts
The factory intake is a "cold air intake". It uses fresh air from the front of the grille, outside the engine compartment. There really aren't any objective gains to be had here. Note Cobb's post regarding the factory intake: "it flows better than it needs to already."
...It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that those sort of open element intakes are called CAIs or cold air intakes. In reality, they're actually WAIs or HAIs...warm air intakes or hot air intakes because they're just sucking in all the hot air from under the hood (and also air that's been pulled through the radiator, depending on filter location). Some systems are better than others at trying to isolate the filter from the hot air with sheetmetal guards or panels, etc.
🤫🤭 Ain't nobody wants to hear this, bruddah. Remember when Dave Buschur posted those runs on his heartbreaker of a Mustang, on NASIOC, now some fourteen(!!!) years ago?

We can keep preaching it, but no-one wants to listen. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I have read many(every?) post here regarding the CAI and am decently experienced tinkering with my 1995 Acura Integra back in the 'fast and furious' days lol. I am mainly looking for that specific whooosh and deep intake sound the handful of times I actually punch it alone in my family hauler. To be honest even if I lost some horsepower but gained the sound I would still be very happy.
As with @hokiefyd , I truly don't know how much you'll hear, given the Ascent's sound-deadening.

Back in the day, some folks liked to pull the resonator from below the airbox - I went all the way and got myself a Perrin Short Ram, when I had my '05 LGT. That, combined with a BLITZ Super BOV made for some nice mechanical sounds from the engine-bay, but it made the job harder for my tuners.....

And it was painful watching the IAT climb so fast, during those hot and muggy summer days when the ares already the least happy.

Winter's coming - studded tires make a nice and aggressive growl as you start out, almost like the intake sound of a domestic, large-displacement, naturally-aspirated engine. At least it did in my Tribeca (strangely, I can't really remember what it did in my Outback, but that was a wimpy 2.5i - I promised myself that was the last time I'd ever elect not to pay for the engine with more ummph). I don't know if it will make it past the increased NVH isolation measures in the Ascent.

Year round, you could try more aggressive A/T tires, although I can't guaranty that highway-howl won't drive your passengers to mutiny........ 😬

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,156 Posts
This is a video of our Acura MDX much earlier in its life, when I fabbed up a quick and dirty intake system using an AEM DryFlow filter I had from another system at the time. VTEC kicked in, yo. :cool:

I had that on the car for just a short while, and that very MDX that had just 60k miles at the time of that video is now in semi-retirement in our garage with 180k miles. It's still in pretty mint condition, I drive it only on nice days, and it's probably my favorite of the many cars I've owned.

Anyway, I'm almost certain that our Ascents wouldn't sound nearly that nice...even without VTEC kicking in, yo. There are just too many objects in the intake tract that would deaden the raw sound you might get from the throttle body.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Chin Photograph Eyebrow Jaw Gesture

That really did sound nice!

Sounds from under the hood is something that I'm much less used to - and thus lust after - versus everything from behind the cabin. I guess it's just the nature of the game with these turbocharged cars.

I've been thinking that after the little one finishes school that I'd get a nice big-displacement ICE to play with - or, heck, even something with a supercharger. Had a Trackhawk spin-up next to me in traffic two days ago, and as my daughter could tell you, I was beside myself with excitement, at how it sounded as it flew off into the distance.

My riceboy days consisted of a couple of DSMs. What with the fuel pump making Knight Rider noises, the BOV sneezing, the pops on the overrun and just the obnoxiously bass-heavy, earth-rattling thrum of the first-generation GReddy SP, I can't say that I've ever heard much from under the hood of my crankwalkers, except when the turbo finally spooled. :ROFLMAO:

That said, I do really miss the UEL-Boxer's throaty rumble. The wifey's '16/'19 WRX just isn't the same.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,156 Posts
That said, I do really miss the UEL-Boxer's throaty rumble. The wifey's '16/'19 WRX just isn't the same.
I think our engines have a bit of a rumble to them -- more so than the FB25s in Outbacks and Foresters do. I understand that much of the traditional Subaru rumble was tuned out of the exhaust by Subaru with unequal length exhaust manifold runners -- so the exhaust pulses would flow more or less evenly down the pipe rather than in successive large-and-small waves. And, indeed, the FB25 in an Outback or Forester sounds pretty smooth, with most or even all of the rumble absent.

I was surprised how "boomy" our Ascent sounds, especially in a closed area at fast/cold idle. There's a real burble -- not from the exhaust system itself, but just from the engine in general. And even after it's warmed up and mostly quieted down, I feel that our engine still feels or sounds just a touch less refined than the FB25s do. We also don't have unequal length exhaust manifold runners -- ours just dump into a central collector under the engine and then funnel in towards the turbo (it looks like a big X with a tail point forwards). I'm wondering if the lack of unequal length manifold runners (presumably due to lack of space and the need to collect all the exhaust for the turbo) is responsible for the small bit of burble or rumble we do have.

As I "mature" (age), I'm much less interested in noise. I'm more into the "silent but violent" thing (I think that term was first used in relation to the '80s Buick Grand National). I appreciate how our engine is tuned from Subaru. You're mostly unaware of the turbocharger, but you can feel it under certain scenarios...especially if you're shifting manually. The engine really wakes up at about 1800-2000 rpm and then just keeps pulling hard from there. That transition period is hard to perceive when letting the CVT adjust itself, but it's fun to use in manual mode.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
"Back in the day", upgrades like CAI, etc., probably helped things a bit, but in recent years, vehicle manufacturers have worked hard to have optimal air flow inherent in the vehicle design as part of the overall quest for good fuel economy and power with more modest sized power plants. Ascent does not seem to be an exception to that. Grand Cherokee that I drove previously also has a very efficient OEM air intake setup, although folks who did put CAI on them did get the "sound" benefit in a very noticeable way. Zero increase in power, however.

So relative to the original question, there's little incentive for Subaru to provide an OEM solution here because they've already got something in there that's working pretty well. The market would be small, so any activity will likely come from third parties that are willing to take the chance that they can sell enough of them to make it work from a business perspective.

Reactions: TSiWRX
1 - 20 of 23 Posts